Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on starter pens

Thanks

Default Suggestions on starter pens

I've ordered the pilot metropolitan as my first fp. I'd like to try a few different pens so I can compare them.

Any suggestions on starter pens that won't break the bank?

Thanks

Default Re: Suggestions on starter pens

I like Parker Frontiers they have been discontinued for a few years how ever they can be had for £10-15 on ebay. However I'd be careful to order a UK or USA one as the ones that are made under licence in India have mixed reviews the Frontiers with plastic barrels were only made in the UK and USA ao I'd advise those finishes..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 805 Posts

Lamy Safari or Al-Star would be my suggestion. The beveled grip section will help you develop a proper tripod grip.

Thanks

I have the lamy al-star rollerball and I love it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by top pen View Post
    I like Parker Frontiers they have been discontinued for a few years how ever they can be had for £10-15 on ebay. However I'd be careful to order a UK or USA one as the ones that are made under licence in India have mixed reviews the Frontiers with plastic barrels were only made in the UK and USA ao I'd advise those finishes..
    Thank you I will check out eBay

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Lamy is a good choice. If you want to try a vintage pen I'd suggest a restored Esterbrook with a couple different nibs, I'll bet someone here has a couple to sell if you put up a ISO ad.

If you want to play with fixing things, and don't mind heavy there are thousands of cheap Chinese options available on eBay. They tend to be large and heavy and you'll learn pretty quickly how to smooth a nib but that can be fun and as they're cheap messing them up isn't really a concern.

Goulet Pens is a good place to start, I believe you can filter their pen listing by price so you'll just see what is in your current budget. Or call them and ask for suggestions as they are really geeky pen people. In the end everyone's preferences are different.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

For starter pen in vintage, Esterbrook (my school pen) and Parker 51 (fine and extra fine are out there in abundance. For modern pens, I use a Parker IM and Monteverde.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    Lamy is a good choice. If you want to try a vintage pen I'd suggest a restored Esterbrook with a couple different nibs, I'll bet someone here has a couple to sell if you put up a ISO ad.

If you want to play with fixing things, and don't mind heavy there are thousands of cheap Chinese options available on eBay. They tend to be large and heavy and you'll learn pretty quickly how to smooth a nib but that can be fun and as they're cheap messing them up isn't really a concern.

Goulet Pens is a good place to start, I believe you can filter their pen listing by price so you'll just see what is in your current budget. Or call them and ask for suggestions as they are really geeky pen people. In the end everyone's preferences are different.
    I placed an order with goulet. They have a very nice website. Thank you for the tip I will call them

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    For starter pen in vintage, Esterbrook (my school pen) and Parker 51 (fine and extra fine are out there in abundance. For modern pens, I use a Parker IM and Monteverde.
    What type of monteverde? I've seen a few that I like poquito,artista,impressa, and intima.

Thanks

+1 to Esterbrooks

I purchased 3 from another FPGeek member (Thanks again, Jon!) a couple weeks ago and it's been cool to try different nibs, body sizes and they've been very straightforward to use.

Thanks

Terie,

I am not sure if you will like the design or size, but the Kaweco Classic Sport was one of my first fountain pens and I appreciate them to this day. They are tough and if you look around, you can find many different nib sizes, including calligraphy nibs. I have to admit, though, I didn't get much, if any, line variation out of them. They just appeared to write a bit bolder than bold.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Terie_Benjamin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    What type of monteverde? I've seen a few that I like poquito,artista,impressa, and intima.
    I have a Stealth that I am not. very careful with . The black finish on the nib is coming off, however I still like it. I also have a purple swirl Prima.
    -Pogo

Thanks
    Thanked 2,588 Times in 699 Posts

You can probably find Sheaffer School Pens pretty easily, although they haven't been made for a while. The picture below is of a 1990s one that I found, still unopened, for about $15; you can probably find a used one for less. The blister pack was opened not long after I took the picture, of course. The proprietary cartridges are still made, and current Sheaffer converters fit this style, at least. Nothing absolutely sensational, just a very good basic pen. There is another type called the "No Nonsense", which has a different body style, but is functionally similar.

And plenty of other choices, of course, but you've already had some of the other suggestions I might have made.

"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Terie,

I am not sure if you will like the design or size, but the Kaweco Classic Sport was one of my first fountain pens and I appreciate them to this day. They are tough and if you look around, you can find many different nib sizes, including calligraphy nibs. I have to admit, though, I didn't get much, if any, line variation out of them. They just appeared to write a bit bolder than bold.
    I would also recommend Kaweco Sport.
    Low price, unique design and good selection of nibs.

On the vintage side I'll add these to the Esterbrook J recommendations:

1. Parker 45 <-- nice writer, easy to maintain

2. Sheaffer Balance <-- excellent nibs, good looking pens

3. Parker Challenger <-- gold semi-flex Parker nibs, user cosmetics condition can be had for ~$40, nice ones for $65 and up
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

I used to say Lamy Safari, but today I'd say the TWSBI Eco. You get a nice piston filler for around USD 30, holds a lot of ink, has a nib that writes very well on the few I've tried or bought for others, and comes with tools to maintain it. It has a warranty that doesn't run out.

Downside: it holds a lot of ink, so if you become an ink enthusiast you'll have to fill it partially or have to wait forever to try your next color.

I really like Esterbrooks. If you want to start on vintage pens go for it; if you get a restored one you'll probably not have to mess with the sac any time soon. Downside with these is it's hard to know how much ink is left.
    Last edited by gbryal; January 2nd, 2016 at 12:46 AM.

Thanks

Another vote for Esties!!
    You can't get a much more simple, straightforward pen design....Parts (and PENS....) are readily available from a number of sources at reasonable prices...
    Recommended: "The Fountain Pens of Esterbrook" by Paul Hoban.....pretty much a "one-stop shop" for Estie info....
    My collection started 3 months ago....I'm up to 7, with more on the way!!!

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

Thanks

You guys and gals are awesome.

Esties seem to be loved by everyone. If you wouldn't mind can you suggest which one of these would be good for me?

http://www.fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14469

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Terie_Benjamin View Post
    Esties seem to be loved by everyone. If you wouldn't mind can you suggest which one of these would be good for me?

http://www.fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14469
    Either K or M, which are full-size "J" pens. It seems like many, if not most, people who pick up their first Estie... if they get an SJ or LJ, often find them to be a bit too slender. Start with a J and work your way backwards. These two pens have a bit of a dilemma: the 2314-M nib in the M is one of my very favorite nibs, albeit on a pen with a chipped jewel. OTOH, K has the always dependable medium-ish 2668 nib and the pen looks to be better color (and no damage noted). So, for a first pen, I might go with K. Or M. Maybe both.

BTW: Rick Krantz is one of the BEST people you could ever buy from - really knows pens, always sells at the lowest possible prices, nice guy, will always make sure the pen works for you, etc. Total win if you buy from him. No, he's not my brother-in-law or anything, just that we've all seen him be a good guy for a long time.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (January 15th, 2016)

Thanks

I agree with Jon. Rick's pens sometimes get snapped up in a hurry. His warranty is great.
    -Pogo

Thanks

Jon, hawk,
    you guys are amazing. I was able to purchase k. I truly appreciate your help and guidance. I'm so excited.