Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Fountain Pen Reward Schema -- Public Commitment Edition

Thanks

Talking A Fountain Pen Reward Schema -- Public Commitment Edition

I'm developing an unusual idea for 2016 to keep myself committed to certain goals I've set. (I refuse to call them Resolutions, because Resolutions fall by the wayside somewhere around January 15th; rather, I'm using the term Commitments.) These are the typical life goals: losing weight, saving money, etc. However, I've developed a tiered reward system that involves new pens for achieving certain milestones. The goals are reasonably achievable with the correct amount of effort over the course of a year (more or less).

Many of us buy ourselves pens as treats. The difference is that these pens will already be in my possession, and longing to use them will (theoretically) help motivate me toward my life goals. The idea is that each pen is "unlocked" at certain levels of achievement, which are clearly designated in a Bullet Journal. Yes, I borrowed this strategy from video games, but really, displaying a Thing I Want on my desk may help me with broader aims.

So here goes...

Milestone A: Levenger L-Tech 3.0, Stealthy Black

(Ed Jelley review) (SBRE Brown review) (Gourmet Pens review)
    This is on its way from Levenger already, with a Fine black nib, because technical pens demand fine nibs!

Milestone B: Tactile Turns Gist, Polycarbonate & Copper finial, Titanium nib

(Ed Jelley review) (SBRE Brown review) (Gourmet Pens review) (pre-order)
    While I missed the Kickstarter for this pen, the Tactile Turns website has it available for preorder. Mine is coming in a Titanium F nib, and is due to arrive in February-ish.

Milestone C: Lamy 2000, Makrolon

This is one of those pens that more or less every collector owns at SOME point in their hobby, and it's my turn! (Or it will be, after A LOT of weight loss and A LOT of savings!) I'm currently torn between the Fine and the Medium, as M is generally my preferred line width. Since this is my next-to-last goal, I'm going to be patient and wait for a good deal to come along, perhaps from Massdrop or an FPG / FPN classified at a good price.

Milestone D: A New Freakin' Car
    Yes, it's a crazy goal. Yes, it will deplete my savings--unless this is what I was saving for all along! I intend to get a relatively inexpensive, fuel-efficient hatchback, pay for half of it in cash to reduce my monthly payments later, and do a merry jig. By this point I should weigh about 20% less than I do at the moment.

So I give you all the responsibility. If you see me posting about my sweet new Levenger, or my Tactile Turns Gist that just made me roll around on the floor, feel free to ask me if I actually earned that pen.

Does anyone else want to join me and use pens as a reward for good behavior?

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miz Black Crow For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (January 3rd, 2016), Marsilius (January 3rd, 2016), Patrick (January 5th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Default Re: A Fountain Pen Reward Schema -- Public Commitment Edition

Haha! Well, I wish you the very best on achieving your goals. Myself? While I would definitely fall in line for D, and probably need to get a new one anyway, all three of your pens would be punishments for me, for not completing tasks! A classic case of "to each their own". Happy New Year, and welcome to FPG.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Sandy Fry (January 4th, 2016)

Thanks

Good luck. Is this like showing the drugs at a twelve-step program, perhaps?
    Fortibus es in ero

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

Inxoy (January 3rd, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    Good luck. Is this like showing the drugs at a twelve-step program, perhaps?
    More like dangling the prize in front of the fighter before the fight to whet their appetite for victory.

Eating real food is the equivalent of boxing, right?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Miz Black Crow For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (January 3rd, 2016)

Thanks

Sounds like you have the power surging from within. Regarding food, since I went cold turkey vegetarian, My possible vice list went down to fewer items. Vegan would be too much: I would just waste away. No pizza, no ice cream?
    You will do great!
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

Good luck on your mission, I like the levenger stealth black, where is it from?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to wantz1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wantz1 View Post
    The image I wrangled from Google, but the pen is on Levenger's website. Check Levenger.com and search for L-Tech. It's on sale right now!

And, thanks Marsilius!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Miz Black Crow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

Good luck with the undertaking and Happy New Year!
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

15. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    Sounds like you have the power surging from within. Regarding food, since I went cold turkey vegetarian, My possible vice list went down to fewer items. Vegan would be too much: I would just waste away. No pizza, no ice cream?
    You will do great!
    So....if I understand correctly.....you're now a vegetarian......who eats cold turkey??!!! With pizza and ice cream.....???!!!
    As Seinfeld says: ".....Not that there's anything WRONG with that...."!!

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DASEFnib For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (January 4th, 2016)

Thanks

I'm with Jon on this one. each of those pens would motivate me but not for the right reason.

If I don't lose 10lbs by my birthday I HAVE to buy a Lamy 2000....Nooooooooooo!!!! Lol.

Fortunately, I don't need an excuse to buy a pen. However, good luck on your goals.

David

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy Fry For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (January 4th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    While I would definitely fall in line for D, and probably need to get a new one anyway, all three of your pens would be punishments for me, for not completing tasks! A classic case of "to each their own". Happy New Year, and welcome to FPG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Fry View Post
    I'm with Jon on this one. each of those pens would motivate me but not for the right reason.

If I don't lose 10lbs by my birthday I HAVE to buy a Lamy 2000....Nooooooooooo!!!! Lol.
    Hehehehe. Yeah, I tend toward "strange" taste in FPs... I have a bunch of Ahabs, a couple TWSBIs, and a Safari or two (plus a sweet little Retro 51 that I'm about to cross-post my review of....). I'm not exactly a standard "Montblanc! MEISTERSTRUCK!!! Ooh shiny Pelikans!!" sort of FP user. In part I can't afford to be, and in part I like pens that are a little quirky and visually distinctive (though my Safaris are either charcoal or demo pens, so not EVERY pen has to be distinctive!)

Anyway, thank you all for the support! I'm headed in the right direction already...

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Miz Black Crow View Post
    I'm not exactly a standard "Montblanc! MEISTERSTRUCK!!! Ooh shiny Pelikans!!" sort of FP user. In part I can't afford to be, and in part I like pens that are a little quirky and visually distinctive (though my Safaris are either charcoal or demo pens, so not EVERY pen has to be distinctive!)
    I don't want to leave you with the wrong impression via my original (and cryptic) statement: your pens are perfectly fine, as I am also not a (necessarily) top-end pen user. I, too, have a number of quirksters inked up.

I just don't enjoy the feel of a metal section.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Sandy Fry (January 5th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Interesting approach!
    In the business world, this is not a new concept, but recently gained popularity under the banner/buzzword "Gamification"

I would only suggest to have the pens kept safely by someone you trust who has absolutely zero interest in pens.
    That way when you unlocked one of them, it will actually feel like you're getting them anew and you have some kind of an accountability system established.

Good luck!
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

24. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Miz Black Crow (January 4th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Good luck and good fortune. At my age though I try not to make long term plans and instead subscribe to instant gratification.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Sandy Fry (January 5th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I don't want to leave you with the wrong impression via my original (and cryptic) statement: your pens are perfectly fine, as I am also not a (necessarily) top-end pen user. I, too, have a number of quirksters inked up.

I just don't enjoy the feel of a metal section.
    I was not intending to imply anything about cost, actually, so much as a traditional vs quirky approach, but rereading it I may have done so unintentionally. Sorry about that! And it is perfectly fine to enjoy nice and expensive pens; it is simply not my style (or budget--these all represent significant financial steps up from my current arsenal). But disliking metal sections makes a lot of sense; each of these pens has one, but they are all anti-slip texture (knurled, ribbed, or matte). And surprisingly, the grip on my TWSBI 580-AL is very non-slippery in my hand, though it isn't intentionally textured. Odd...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Be careful about developing the idea that you don't "deserve" something because of your weight, whether you lose some or not. The flip side to material rewards for weight loss is that the motivation can remain other than the health and sense of balance that you increase from your decisions and changed habits. You "deserve" health and good will toward yourself as much as you "deserve" a pen, and denying yourself BOTH the food you would like AND the use of a pen that you have already purchased may be more "denial" than you are capable of managing, and the failure to manage both of these denials may actually increase your bad will toward yourself down the road.

Hope I am making sense. Blessings, regardless.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

katherine (January 4th, 2016), Miz Black Crow (January 4th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Fry View Post

Hehehehe. Yeah, I tend toward "strange" taste in FPs... I have a bunch of Ahabs, a couple TWSBIs, and a Safari or two (plus a sweet little Retro 51 that I'm about to cross-post my review of....). I'm not exactly a standard "Montblanc! MEISTERSTRUCK!!! Ooh shiny Pelikans!!" sort of FP user. In part I can't afford to be, and in part I like pens that are a little quirky and visually distinctive (though my Safaris are either charcoal or demo pens, so not EVERY pen has to be distinctive!)

Anyway, thank you all for the support! I'm headed in the right direction already...
    Strange is good! It would be terribly dull if we all had the same tastes in the same pens. I like quirky pens and have a few cheapie little pens I love.

I tried the L-Tech and just could not for the life of me get comfortable with it. I love my bright yellow Lamy Safari but for some reason the 2000 just does not appeal to me. I know nothing about the Tactile Turns Gist but if it feels as knurled/grooved as it looks then it's not for me.

This is what I love about this forum. You learn new things. You share knowledge with others and you get to poke a little fun at times!

Enjoy your pens and I look forward to your review on the Retro 51 ( hope it isn't the "sparkle" though...lol! )

David

Thanks

Interesting idea. If I already had my prize within my possession I would not have the strength to finish my goal, instead I would be content with my current state and a new pen haha.

I do love that Levenger L-Tech 3.0. Good Luck!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DASEFnib View Post

So....if I understand correctly.....you're now a vegetarian......who eats cold turkey??!!! With pizza and ice cream.....???!!!
    As Seinfeld says: ".....Not that there's anything WRONG with that...."!!

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!
    You pretty much nailed it. I went veggie for various reasons, and am happy with it. That said, my motto is, the better the meat looks and smells, the more vicarious pleasure I receive, not to mention the added pleasure of feeling even MORE smug. (Plus I still allow myself pizza and ice cream.) If I ever go vegan, smug alerts here I come. Oh, and if I were to backslide, it'd be pork, octopus, and a burger; no wimpy chicken for me.

But I won't, or Miz Black Crow can kick my rear end for excercise!
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wantz1 View Post
    The image I wrangled from Google, but the pen is on Levenger's website. Check Levenger.com and search for L-Tech. It's on sale right now!

And, thanks Marsilius!
    I got the pen, have you used yours yet?, really nice to write, good recommendation thank you