Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Twsbi diamond 580 EF nib like woah

Thanks

Default Twsbi diamond 580 EF nib like woah

. Greetings all posting my first impressions and later my first full review of the twsbi diamond 580 Extra fine nib. This pen awesome out of a box. I paid around 65 shipped from twsbi on eBay. The pen feels good and solid. Out of the box it inked up no troubles and was quite smooth needing no adjustments or smoothing. Put down a smooth wet line which surprised me being an Extra fine nib. Was not feedbacky or toothy! Including is a quick writing sample. I will post full details after a few days with the pen! God bless Mike

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SeminarianMike For This Useful Post:

Anne (January 7th, 2016), Crazyorange (January 8th, 2016), Jeph (January 7th, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: Twsbi diamond 580 EF nib like woah

Thanks for reporting on it I really like TWSBI and am glad you are happy with it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anne For This Useful Post:

SeminarianMike (January 7th, 2016)

Thanks

Now that I have spent two weeks with the twsbi diamond 580 I feel comfortable reporting on it. My first impressions were pretty spot on. I have switched ink cleaned and taken apart the pen twice, which is a simple process. I have been taking notes in long philosophy and theology classes exclusively. The nib lays down a smooth fairly wet line for an extra fine. There is absolutely no scratchyness or feedback which for an extra fine astonished me. The steel nib in this price range is beyond amazing. I have used noodlers turquoise, iroshizuku kon peki, diamine emerald green, and pelikan edlestien topaz all in this pen. I have experienced no flow issues and really the pen is perfect! The nib over time broke in a bit and I feel that it has become even more well behaved.
    The one draw back to this pen is its posting issue. The pen posts right to the piston nob which is dangerous. I don't appreciate the length of the pen when posted either. I also am not a fan of the clip. It is very tight and feel it could snap in the right conditions. These are my two complaints of this pen...
    In conclusion when I have spare money I will be buying more twsbi pens, a 580 mini for my mother and a vac700 for me! I am a big fan of twsbi! Thanks for reading!!! God bless picture of notes during class mostly fast writing

Thanks

Thank You for the update! I really have to find a Fine nib now. Penwash, another member here uses it to sketch with and I would like to try it out. It's good to know that the EF can be so smooth too.
    I don't even post the Mini! I hope your Mom enjoys it though.

Thanks

Get an EF nib... It is amazing note taking pen. I'm really accumulating some pens now and I haven't found a better note taking nib! The only one that comes close is my pelikan m800 EF and it is feedbacky where this is not

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeminarianMike View Post
    Get an EF nib... It is amazing note taking pen. I'm really accumulating some pens now and I haven't found a better note taking nib! The only one that comes close is my pelikan m800 EF and it is feedbacky where this is not
    Awww Pelikan feedbacky - he is just singing to you! Mine do too and I love it They were the first pens that made me smile when I wrote with them. The second, of course, was my TWSBI Mini.
    Okay, okay - I may have a Fine, but I will have to buy an EF when I can. I don't think I ever bought an EF nib when I went on the TWSBI kick.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

I got a 580Al extra fine recently, and since it arrived it has been inked with Diamine Syrah and has accompanied me every day to University (I am a member of staff, not a student, in case anyone is wondering).

The extra fine nib does indeed write a very fine line, almost approaching a Japanese fine, and the feedback has that pencil on paper feel to it. I have big hands and thought briefly about posting it but it doesn't post properly and I am likely to poke myself in the eye with it. Fits the hand without posting anyway.

The clip on mine is also tight, and for some reason gives me the impression that it is a bit fragile. I don't use clips so I don't care about this too much.

I rather like the pen. Whether I like it well enough to buy other TWSBIs is debatable, as none of their other line appeal (beyond curiosity) and I cannot generally afford to buy multiples. If they made the micarta I would buy one in a shot, but for some reason that defies my understanding TWSBi discontinue pens that are actually popular with their customers. Baffling and frustrating in equal measure.

My 580AL is the blue one. I would have liked an orange one, however...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

SeminarianMike (January 20th, 2016)

Thanks

I have an eco that I use daily at work. It's an extra fine, and performs beautifully.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddrino For This Useful Post:

SeminarianMike (January 20th, 2016)

Thanks

Is this one of the ones you have to twist the plunger cap to let the ink flow?
    If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it.
    www.postable.com/chrisoravetz

Thanks

No that is the vac filler models this is a piston

Thanks

Cool. I've hesitated too long about getting a twsbi. I think with your review of the nib I'll go ahead and make the jump.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inxoy For This Useful Post:

Bri (January 21st, 2016), SeminarianMike (January 21st, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Inxoy View Post
    Cool. I've hesitated too long about getting a twsbi. I think with your review of the nib I'll go ahead and make the jump.
    I'm so glad this helped! That honestly made my day I'm very nervous about becoming a pen reviewer but maybe it will work out! You will love the twsbi if you don't let me know ill trade you for it! Now you can't lose you have twsbi insurance

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SeminarianMike For This Useful Post:

Inxoy (January 21st, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I got a 580Al extra fine recently, and since it arrived it has been inked with Diamine Syrah and has accompanied me every day to University (I am a member of staff, not a student, in case anyone is wondering).

The extra fine nib does indeed write a very fine line, almost approaching a Japanese fine, and the feedback has that pencil on paper feel to it. I have big hands and thought briefly about posting it but it doesn't post properly and I am likely to poke myself in the eye with it. Fits the hand without posting anyway.

The clip on mine is also tight, and for some reason gives me the impression that it is a bit fragile. I don't use clips so I don't care about this too much.

I rather like the pen. Whether I like it well enough to buy other TWSBIs is debatable, as none of their other line appeal (beyond curiosity) and I cannot generally afford to buy multiples. If they made the micarta I would buy one in a shot, but for some reason that defies my understanding TWSBi discontinue pens that are actually popular with their customers. Baffling and frustrating in equal measure.

My 580AL is the blue one. I would have liked an orange one, however...
    I emailed about the Orange and they said they'd probably bring it back. **fingers crossed**

Thanks
    Thanked 3,486 Times in 1,747 Posts

It's a nice nib. I have a 540 Smoke that's more or less permanently loaded with a gray-brown custom ink mix I call 'CementKovsky.'

Also, an Eco with F nib, and a 580 with a 1.1 and a B, in case I want to switch 'em up. I just enjoy the way they look and feel, though I do not post them.

Nice handwriting, too. Thanks for the review, Mike.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

kaisnowbird (February 5th, 2016)

Thanks

I ordered one on Tuesday and am anxiously waiting to see the postman!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Inxoy For This Useful Post:

Bri (February 2nd, 2016)

Thanks

Im so glad i helped you make the choice you will not be disappointed! if you are let me know i will purchase it off of you, but i highly doubt that will happen ! Keep us posted... Pen Mail = The best Mail

Thanks

I've been strongly considering the TWSBI mini. I want a pocket pen and can't get excited about others such as Kawaco. I do believe TWSBI is using the Bock nibs now which I like and the nibs are interchangeable between the models even though some are not really meant to be. The vac is cool mainly because of the filling mechanism, but I need more than that for me to buy a pen. I usually start with the nib and end with the nib and hope the rest of the pen fits the function I'm looking for, which in this case is a pocket carry. Very nice review Sem. Mike.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    I've been strongly considering the TWSBI mini. I want a pocket pen and can't get excited about others such as Kawaco. I do believe TWSBI is using the Bock nibs now which I like and the nibs are interchangeable between the models even though some are not really meant to be. The vac is cool mainly because of the filling mechanism, but I need more than that for me to buy a pen. I usually start with the nib and end with the nib and hope the rest of the pen fits the function I'm looking for, which in this case is a pocket carry. Very nice review Sem. Mike.
    Thank you! I'm a huge fan of the twsbi line I doubt I'll get into the vacs tho, doesn't seem to be my thing..

Thanks

Bummer!!!!! Pen came in the post today but I'm running out for my wife's birthday. It's so difficult to leave a new pen on the counter when it is just begging to get inked.

I guess, my wife is pretty important in this whole equation so I shouldn't be too depressed. If my wife isn't happy, my pen lifestyle isn't happy.

Lol, I should consider myself lucky to leave unscathed as it is, I am receiving presents to myself on my wife's birthday when her present doesn't arrive until tomorrow.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Inxoy For This Useful Post:

Terie_Benjamin (January 29th, 2016)

Thanks

My wife let me try her TWISBI's. Very nice pens and great writers also. However, the 580, when posted was too cap heavy; the balance point caused the the pen to lift off of the paper instead of floating over it.
    The mini, on the other hand had great balance when posted. The clip, while strong with a good spring, did not have rigidity and moved side to side eventually putting a smiley on the cap. The 580 clip was strong with a good spring and rigid.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo