Thread: Should the next president ditch the Cross Townsend for signing bills...

Thanks

Default Should the next president ditch the Cross Townsend for signing bills...

and kick it up a notch by using a made in the USA fountain pen from a small manufacturer??? I'm leaning towards an Edison or a Franklin-Cristoph... Any thoughts???

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PizzaDude For This Useful Post:

Dragonmaster Lou (January 15th, 2016), fountainpenkid (January 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: Should the next president ditch the Cross Townsend for signing bills...

How do you feel about Karas Kustoms?

Thanks

Default Re: Should the next president ditch the Cross Townsend for signing bills...

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Meh... But to be honest I picked those two companies because I've spent the majority of my life in the two states they're based in, lol...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Meh... But to be honest I picked those two companies because I've spent the majority of my life in the two states they're based in, lol...
    That's funny you say that - Karas Kustoms happens to be in Az. where I am.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,594 Times in 700 Posts

I'm more worried about the bills than the signature.

But playing along, let's go with dip pens. I suppose a quill might be pushing it a bit, but buy up a few gross of vintage steel nibs on eBay. Then try as hard as possible not to need that many.

Commission a woodworker to make special presidential dip pen holders (handles).
    Last edited by Kaputnik; January 14th, 2016 at 11:14 PM.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaputnik For This Useful Post:

Anne (January 14th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kaputnik View Post
    I'm more worried about the bills than the signature.

But playing along, let's go with dip pens. I suppose a quill might be pushing it a bit, but buy up a few gross of vintage steel nibs on eBay. Then try as hard as possible not to need that many.

Commission a woodworker to make special presidential dip pen holders (handles).
    I don't want to get into politics here, but traditionally the president has signed each letter of his name with a different pen, then given the pens to members of congress, staff or lobbyist who pushed the legislation. So like it or not he/she is probably going to go through 100's of pens in a four year term...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PizzaDude For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (January 15th, 2016)

Thanks

I definitely think it would be preferable that the President used a true made-in-the-USA pen, like an Edison or Franklin-Christoff (as well as a few other boutique-ish vendors out there) than a pen that, while the parent company may be USA-based, all the manufacturing is overseas, such as Cross. I know Cross is traditional and they used to be manufactured in Rhode Island, but that hasn't been the case for at least a decade, I think.

Even those made-in-the-USA pens use some foreign parts, but at least those foreign parts come from a strong ally (Germany) instead of a country that we seem to be frenemies with (China) at the best of times.

This is, of course, ignoring the content of the bills he signs. That's a whole separate argument.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

SHAWN needs to design the president a pen! With a custom made and engraved nib and stuff!
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

Anne (January 15th, 2016), inklord (January 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonmaster Lou View Post
    I definitely think it would be preferable that the President used a true made-in-the-USA pen, like an Edison or Franklin-Christoff (as well as a few other boutique-ish vendors out there) than a pen that, while the parent company may be USA-based, all the manufacturing is overseas, such as Cross. I know Cross is traditional and they used to be manufactured in Rhode Island, but that hasn't been the case for at least a decade, I think.

Even those made-in-the-USA pens use some foreign parts, but at least those foreign parts come from a strong ally (Germany) instead of a country that we seem to be frenemies with (China) at the best of times.

This is, of course, ignoring the content of the bills he signs. That's a whole separate argument.
    Yes - You have my vote for Made In The USA ( I try to do this in everyday life, but sometimes its hard - Pens are an exception SORRY )
    And I Love PizzaDude's idea of Buying Local.
    Politics...? Meh!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Anne For This Useful Post:

Dragonmaster Lou (January 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    SHAWN needs to design the president a pen! With a custom made and engraved nib and stuff!
    YES! Excellent idea - I only went to that website once and I was drooling. You know when you unconsciously lean toward the computer screen...

Thanks

Whoah - lately Germany has been all but a *strong* ally of the United States, and the parts for F-C and Edison are the NIBs, in other words, the most essential parts in the pen. I'm afraid it has to be a Newton pen, with one of his handmade nibs and feeds... But how about a vintage pen?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post

Whoah - lately Germany has been all but a *strong* ally of the United States, and the parts for F-C and Edison are the NIBs, in other words, the most essential parts in the pen. I'm afraid it has to be a Newton pen, with one of his handmade nibs and feeds... But how about a vintage pen?
    Okay then...Parker 51?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Anne For This Useful Post:

inklord (January 15th, 2016)

Thanks

[QUOTE=inklord;155634]
    They are strong relative to, say, China. I mean, there are disagreements, but we're all members of NATO and should anything really serious hit the fan, we should have each others' backs.

Newton pens use handmade nibs and feeds? I did not know that. I'll check them out for curiosity's sake (not in the market for a new pen, especially a pricey one, right now).

Vintage is also a good idea, but supposedly a lot of those presidential pens get given away after they are used to sign bills, at least major ones, so it may be tough to find a supply of vintage pens.

I wouldn't be surprised if the President uses his favorite pen, whatever that may be, to do any of the day-to-day bill signing and paperwork and only uses fancy ones for the big, public signings.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Dragonmaster Lou;155639]
    Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    They are strong relative to, say, China. I mean, there are disagreements, but we're all members of NATO and should anything really serious hit the fan, we should have each others' backs.

Newton pens use handmade nibs and feeds? I did not know that. I'll check them out for curiosity's sake (not in the market for a new pen, especially a pricey one, right now).

Vintage is also a good idea, but supposedly a lot of those presidential pens get given away after they are used to sign bills, at least major ones, so it may be tough to find a supply of vintage pens.

I wouldn't be surprised if the President uses his favorite pen, whatever that may be, to do any of the day-to-day bill signing and paperwork and only uses fancy ones for the big, public signings.
    Oh I think You may love the Newton site. The pens are not inexpensive, but that website is burning in the back of my mind.
    And I thought I was on a pen buying hiatus...no money for it though!
    I don't know if the current President or the next is or will be into fountain pens, but I definitely believe they need to get hooked on them. If anything will do it, it's the Newton Pen site.

Thanks

Let's see....a "new presidential pen"......
    First....Congress will need to appropriate funding....then, after months of wrangling on both sides of the aisle, a budget figure is finally approved....
    Now....more hearings on who to commission for the job.....more wrangling/wailing/gnashing of teeth....
    Finally....it is decided, with limited funds available....no American vendor is able to supply a "suitable" product....
    Result: Congress unanimously authorizes:
    The BIC Original.....(in BLACK, of course....!!!)

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DASEFnib For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (January 16th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DASEFnib View Post
    Let's see....a "new presidential pen"......
    First....Congress will need to appropriate funding....then, after months of wrangling on both sides of the aisle, a budget figure is finally approved....
    Now....more hearings on who to commission for the job.....more wrangling/wailing/gnashing of teeth....
    Finally....it is decided, with limited funds available....no American vendor is able to supply a "suitable" product....
    Result: Congress unanimously authorizes:
    The BIC Original.....(in BLACK, of course....!!!)

Always try to get the dibs....on fountain pens with EF nibs!!
    LOL! Reality is Sad, sad, sad.