Thread: FranklinCovey Freemont Overview

Thanks

Default FranklinCovey Freemont Overview

The FranklinCovey Freemont is a smaller pen branded for the FranklinCovey line of office products which includes planners, with which this pen pairs nicely. The pens are made by Cross for FranklinCovey and are found at Staples stores in the United States. They are available in other finishes, but mine is a black and chrome model.

In many ways this pen is more Cross-like than the somewhat higher priced Aventura, and doesn't look out of place among a group of black and chrome Cross pens. Similar is the metal end on the barrel and the two chrome bands on the cap, which echo those on the Townsend and Bailey. A departure from those Crosses is a more flared, crown-shaped cap finial.

The clip is simple and reads Franklin Covey, with a circle logo. Unfortunately, the clip is easy to spring, leaving it unable to bend back completely. This is a serious drawback for a pen that will probably get clipped to the cover of a journal or planner.

The pen can post fairly securely, though this takes a little more force than I am comfortable with and snaps to close. It's simple enough to open one handed.

The nib is a small steel affair with Iridium Point written on it, surrounded by some curliques. The section is commensurately narrow, and there is a chrome ring that makes for a somewhat unpleasant step down. The pen is somewhat narrow and might be uncomfortable for larger hands. The pen is an avid collector of fingerprints, and is a little bit slick, though nowhere near as much as the chrome section of the Aventura.

The pen writes nicely enough, laying down a fine line (though the nib is a medium). It's slightly on the dry side, but doesn't seem to easily run dry.

I measure about 144mm posted, 117mm uncapped, 130mm capped. Inked with converter I got 14g without cap, and 28g with cap.

The pen accepts a converter but one is not provided. I am afraid I don't recall the provenance of the converter I used; it's either an international or an unmarked Cross converter.

Like other Cross pens I reviewed, this one did well on many kinds of paper. Since it seems to be somewhat targeted at those using planners, I tried it on a cheap planner I had acquired at Staples, and it didn't bleed or cause any trouble.

For around $20, I probably wouldn't recommend this pen. If you want a better fountain pen at the office store, get the Cross Bailey, or see if they have Pilot Varsities, which are fine and expendable, since the clip on the FranklinCovey Freemont will possibly bend and become unclipped and lost anyway. The clip thing bothers me enough to make me not want to deal with the pen anymore. I'm not really a planner user, but
    given what many of them cost, I'd get a small pen of similar value, perhaps a Kaweco Sport. For less money, maybe an Ohto, and if it's not about size, a Metropolitan is hard to beat for the price.

FreemontCapped.jpgFreemontNib.jpgFreemontUncapped.jpg

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gbryal For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (January 20th, 2016), Dragonmaster Lou (January 18th, 2016), Jeph (January 18th, 2016), Marsilius (January 18th, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: FranklinCovey Freemont Overview

Addendum: You can unscrew the top of the pen and easily remove the clip, bend it back, and put it back on.