Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pen Storage?

Thanks

Default Re: Pen Storage?

I received my cabinet from Geoff this week. I can't say enough good things about the entire process. Geoff is an excellent communicator. And the quality of the cabinet is incredible. Absolutely beautiful. It's worth every penny.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mandrbeck For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (April 6th, 2017)

Thanks

I have this one for my indian pens

And this one for all the other pens - Both boxes are chinese jewelery boxes from mid-19th century

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to fountainpagan For This Useful Post:

amk (June 3rd, 2016), AzJon (April 6th, 2017), carlc (June 3rd, 2016), Chrissy (April 6th, 2017), Crazyorange (May 16th, 2016), farmdogfan (April 6th, 2017), Haefennasiel (May 16th, 2016), JapaG (April 7th, 2017), Mr. Reader (June 3rd, 2016), MY63 (May 14th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 819 Posts

Fountainpagan I really like those Chinese lacquer boxes also a nice bit of upcycling

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

fountainpagan (April 8th, 2017)

Thanks

I keep several pens, like my Pilots, in the boxes they came in. For the rest, I store them here:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Time to live by a new resolution, in the spirit of love's evolution ..."

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Haefennasiel For This Useful Post:

amk (April 17th, 2017), Crazyorange (May 16th, 2016), Mr. Reader (June 3rd, 2016)

Thanks

I use a cigar box from the local tobacconist with a pen tray insert from Go Pens. The box and the pen tray together cost less than $10 and work just fine for my small pen collection.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pendragon For This Useful Post:

JapaG (April 7th, 2017), Mr. Reader (June 3rd, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haefennasiel View Post
    I keep several pens, like my Pilots, in the boxes they came in. For the rest, I store them here:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hah, do you offer it round at parties?

Under (imposed) treaty Ferrero Roche boxes all belong to my wife for use as paint palettes (the lid keeps the paint from drying out).

I have a cigar box repurposed by a chap in the US and a pen wrap made by Annie (here on FP Geeks).

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Thanks

I'm pretty newly re-familiarizing myself in the fountain pen world, and only have a few pens as of yet (although I'm pretty utilitarian and won't likely go nuts with collecting). I've seen cigar boxes used a lot for small cases, so I tried my hand at making one this week. I had the box onhand (I am nuts with regard to cigars), as well as a foam try from a travel humidor. It took all of 2 minutes, including the time I spent looking for misplaced scissors to cut the foam. It'll hold another tray for 6 more if/when I need it. Total investment = $0.00. Win!

20170405_094612.jpg20170405_094643.jpg

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SandPiper For This Useful Post:

JapaG (April 7th, 2017), jodylud (April 9th, 2017)

Thanks

Man, there realliy are some awesome ideas on this thread!

Thanks

provided they don't rattle around then they probably won't come to any harm - but I like to keep the light at bay, so made both of these cabinets with virtually no gaps around the draws............ I think someone locally was replacing their double glazing and gave me the previous Brazilian Mah. frames that were being binned. Obviously there's lot more to it than that, and it takes time to end up with what you see. Each drawer holds 48 pens, and there's 24 drawers in total - and I'm nowhere near filling them up, yet.
    I'd also recommend the plastic shaped liners from Garry at Go Pens - I chose grey since I thought most pen bodies would contrast better with a neutral colour, but I think he offers various brighter colours, and I've used the full size of Garry's trays in each drawer.
    Unfortunately, those x*?+$! customs people at this end of the journey take great delight in charging a duty before letting you have your pre-paid goods, but I couldn't find anything similar in the U.K., so had to bite the bullet.

But........... some while back I read of a simple and cheap way of making home made trays for pen storage - admittedly you still need to find a suitable box or unit of some kind in which to put the trays, but the beauty of this method is that you can make the trays to suit the size of whatever storage container that comes to hand. I did make a couple of trays when I had only a few pens, and they worked fine.

Using something like a 'box board' - about 0.5 mm thick, mark with pencil on one side at say 35 mm intervals .......... some home made projects need trial and error before you know what the optimum measurements need to be.
    Draw lines down the card, and with sharp knife score something like one third through thickness of the card -- sufficient to enable card to be folded along this line, but not so it will break.
    Turning card over, again repeat the marking and cutting, BUT the marks/cuts will need to fall half way between those already made on your first side - the idea being that you're making a concertina type fold, and producing a tray with gullies in which pens will lay.
    If the card is too thick it will become difficult to fold as you progress toward the last few folds - in which case use thinner card.
    With ingenuity, it's possibly that the card might be lined with a very thin type of suedette or similar, to give a softer bed for the pens.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PaulS; April 6th, 2017 at 03:57 PM.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PaulS For This Useful Post:

AzJon (April 6th, 2017), EHV (April 7th, 2017), fountainpagan (April 8th, 2017), Haefennasiel (January 25th, 2019), JapaG (April 7th, 2017), kevmid (April 8th, 2017), WmEdwards (April 10th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,427 Times in 2,519 Posts

IMG_6585.JPG

This was sold as a 7-drawer compact "map cabinet," kind of a misnomer because they are traditionally much bigger. I wish I could tell you where to buy one, but they're no longer offered from where I bought it; you might do a Google search to see if a retailer is offering them again. Gary Lehrer's flocked pen trays fit exactly in each drawer without cutting. I changed the handles from a faux 18th century style, but other than that, that's how it came out of the box. I keep it in a closet only because I need the space it used to occupy.

Fred

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

AzJon (April 6th, 2017), Chrissy (April 6th, 2017), EHV (April 7th, 2017), Haefennasiel (January 25th, 2019), WmEdwards (April 10th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alanc View Post
    I have two of these cases. made by Geoff Morris at Pencase.co.uk.
    There are other forum members also have Geoff's cases.
    They are well made and not that expensive. Geoff is a great communicator, he sent me photographs of these cases prior to shipping for my approval.
    These look wonderful. Thank you so much for the info.

Thanks

As part of my bookcase, it has glass doors and no direct sunlight.

Inks and papers

Last edited by Wahl; April 7th, 2017 at 09:42 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Wahl For This Useful Post:

PaulS (April 7th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mandrbeck View Post
    I received my cabinet from Geoff this week. I can't say enough good things about the entire process. Geoff is an excellent communicator. And the quality of the cabinet is incredible. Absolutely beautiful. It's worth every penny.
    I dont think that Geoff is currently making these cases, I know that they were very time consuming and I am sure he has family committments. I was fortunate enough to buy one of the double 100 pen 10 drawer cases in 2007, he made three as a trial but they were so complicated and difficult to make that I dont think he made any more.

The website link no longer works.

Thanks

Although I dream of having one of those gorgeous wooden vintage cabinets for my pens, I went a different route. I bought a metal tool storage chest, then purchased slotted liner trays from both Pendora and GoPens. My current collection is around 130, this unit, as I have it set up with liners, is good for about 340, so I should be good for a bit.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...VZUTGc3S0ozR00

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Wade For This Useful Post:

Bob (April 20th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mandrbeck View Post
    I dont think that Geoff is currently making these cases, I know that they were very time consuming and I am sure he has family committments. I was fortunate enough to buy one of the double 100 pen 10 drawer cases in 2007, he made three as a trial but they were so complicated and difficult to make that I dont think he made any more.

The website link no longer works.
    Oh darn. I will have to think again.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by david i View Post
    40 linear inches of wall. 40 inches tall. 14 inches deep. Roughly 4500 fountain pens safely stored.

regards

d
    Hey Dave, once you've opened the dog breeding facility what do you plan to do with all these nice pens? LOL

Thanks

Nice set up Wahl, pens are well spaced there. Where did you get the (plastic/acrylic?) pen racks, or did you make them?

Like carlc a few posts further back I keep my pens in Ferrero Rocher boxes. If you turn them upside down then the dimpled lid becomes the base and then the old base which is now the lid is completely flat and clear so you can see all the pens easily. Again I use Gary's pen trays, an easy choice being in the US and I am too lazy to make my own.
    I try to stick to about 50 pens so four boxes takes care of them all, I have to limit things somehow!!
    Last edited by kevmid; April 8th, 2017 at 11:42 PM.

Thanks

for anyone in the U.K. who might be considering buying the flocked trays from Gary Lehrer (my apologies for mis-spelling Gary's name earlier) - I know he visits the London Pen show - usually in October from memory, although whether Gary visits other U.K. pen shows I'm not sure. When I was there a couple of years back I noticed that he was selling some of these trays, and it's possible that if pre-ordered he might be persuaded to bring a specified order/quantity with him, saving certainly the U.K. import customs duty, and possibly all or some of the shipping. This is my opinion only of course, and it would be wise to contact Gary prior to his trip, assuming he intends to make the event this year.
    It annoyed me that I couldn't find the equivalent in the U.K., and it does tend to increase the cost when buying from the Sates, but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and buy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevmid View Post
    Nice set up Wahl, pens are well spaced there. Where did you get the (plastic/acrylic?) pen racks, or did you make them?

Like carlc a few posts further back I keep my pens in Ferrero Rocher boxes. If you turn them upside down then the dimpled lid becomes the base and then the old base which is now the lid is completely flat and clear so you can see all the pens easily. Again I use Gary's pen trays, an easy choice being in the US and I am too lazy to make my own.
    I try to stick to about 50 pens so four boxes takes care of them all, I have to limit things somehow!!
    The racks are methacrylate, they were made to order by an artisan who does all types of displays in this material.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

We went to a local antique shop and saw this cabinet. My wallet balked at me so I could not get it. It would make some really nice pen storage.

Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot