Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 19th century Walnut writing slope

Thanks

Default 19th century Walnut writing slope

Hi everyone, this is my first post here. I've recently purchased a walnut writing slope which the seller informed me was made around 1870. There was some staining on the top which I believe was french polish. There was no key but everything was in good order apart from 2 small missing pieces of veneer - 1 at the lower left hand corner and one at the right hand corner (ebonised vertical bead). I've uploaded several images of the writing slope below. The velvet photographs blue but is actually a dark purple colour.

When it arrived I bought some purple ribbon to add to the writing slopes so that they could be lifted up and down with ease. I contacted a local restorer to replace the 2 missing veneers, remove the stains on the top of the box and add the ribbons. I will post some images of the restored slope later.

I would love to know exactly when this slope was made, if it is 1870 or earlier? and if if it is British?

Thanks for reading this! :)

Trevor
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (184.3 KB, 153 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (154.9 KB, 154 views)
    • File Type: jpg 7.JPG (166.7 KB, 153 views)
    • File Type: jpg 9.JPG (189.4 KB, 153 views)
    • File Type: jpg 10.JPG (215.4 KB, 149 views)
    • File Type: jpg 12.JPG (242.2 KB, 157 views)
    Last edited by Victorian gent; January 23rd, 2016 at 07:10 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Victorian gent For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (January 24th, 2016), Dreck (January 24th, 2016), Frank (February 3rd, 2016), Jon Szanto (January 24th, 2016), Marsilius (January 23rd, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: 19th century Walnut writing slope

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. Keep us posted on what you learn.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Victorian gent (January 24th, 2016)

Thanks

Hello and Welcome! I can't help with any information, but you have a lovely piece there. Use it in Good Health.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Anne For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Michael might know about your slope. I think he buys them and restores them.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks everyone, yes I have read Michael's posts about restoring slopes which fascinated me and prompted me to join this forum. I brought the slope to the restorer recently and he managed to remove the french polish stains on the top. He also restored 2 veneers and added some purple tabs to the slopes. I used some Black Bison wax inside and outside on the piece.

I then brought the slope to a locksmith and asked him to cut me a replacement key. I didn't want a brand new key as these do not look old as they are from modern blanks and look really new. He emptied a small box of rusty keys in front of me and within seconds I found a small key which looked the part. He managed to re-cut the key, oiled the lock and it works now, although he advised me not to lock the box when the lid is closed in case it might not open again. The key dates from the mid-19th century.

I've uploaded some images of the outside of the restored slope below, I'll upload images of the interior later.

Trevor
    • File Type: jpg b.JPG (1.69 MB, 149 views)
    • File Type: jpg a.JPG (1.64 MB, 138 views)
    • File Type: jpg c.JPG (1.68 MB, 136 views)
    • File Type: jpg d.JPG (1.87 MB, 145 views)
    • File Type: jpg e.JPG (1.73 MB, 135 views)
    Last edited by Victorian gent; January 24th, 2016 at 11:47 AM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Victorian gent For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (January 24th, 2016), Jon Szanto (January 24th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (January 24th, 2016), tandaina (January 24th, 2016)

Thanks

That's a gorgeous slope and you are really making sure it ends up in top notch condition. There's some really nice figure in that veneer. Now all you need is to find your inkwells!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks amk!

Here are some images of the interior. The first thing was to add back some purple tabs. Next I gently vacuumed the velvet and the interior of the slope to remove the dust and fluff. After that I applied some mahogany wax and buffed it up to a nice shine.

Trevor
    • File Type: jpg g.JPG (1.79 MB, 129 views)
    • File Type: jpg h.JPG (1.75 MB, 119 views)
    • File Type: jpg i.JPG (1.61 MB, 117 views)
    • File Type: jpg j.JPG (1.63 MB, 117 views)
    • File Type: jpg k.JPG (1.71 MB, 112 views)
    • File Type: jpg l.JPG (1.64 MB, 111 views)

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Victorian gent For This Useful Post:

amk (January 25th, 2016), Dreck (January 24th, 2016), Jon Szanto (January 24th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (January 24th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,008 Times in 819 Posts

Hi Trevor
    Welcome to fpgeeks that is a stunning writing slope you have there. have you checked for secret drawers yet the will be under the pen tray which is also removable. I would suggest lifting the vertical piece to the side of the pen tray.

Here are my thoughts on the slope.
    Clearly an expensive slope by a top maker more than likely a custom order. The veneer normally the figured veneer (expensive) is only used on the top and front of the slope not on the sides and never on the back yours appears to be the same all round.
    The lock is also not a standard fitting the three pins were also an upgrade from the standard two pin does not add any security as it is still a single lever lock. The wings below the cartouches and that level of engraving are also unusual.
    The writing surface is also different from those I have seen in the past it has both options gilding around the edges and embossing inside of that. I have seen repairs where leather edging has been added and gilded to cover worn edges but that would cover the embossing which can be seen on your slope. I would suggest that both are original as a restorer would not have tried to emboss the old covering.
    The top of the pen tray also looks to have been veneered in the same walnut as the rest of the inside.

It looks like a maker had a list of options for their writing slopes and someone has selected everything on the list I would suggest it would have been a very expensive slope in its day. Today a collector would definitely be able to see the things I have seen. Here in the UK I would not be surprised to see it with a price tag around £500 although I have never sold one but I have watched many sell in auctions on and off line.

Sorry for rambling it is a really nice slope.

Michael
    Last edited by MY63; January 24th, 2016 at 10:09 AM.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

amk (January 25th, 2016), Crazyorange (January 24th, 2016), Hawk (January 24th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (January 24th, 2016), Victorian gent (January 24th, 2016)

Thanks

I have found a picture or two to help in your quest for secrets. The first one shows the lift up piece that releases the door

IMG_7555 by my0771, on Flickr

IMG_7556 by my0771, on Flickr

This picture shows the door

IMG_7572 by my0771, on Flickr

And finally the type of thing you might find.

IMG_4788 by my0771, on Flickr

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

amk (January 25th, 2016), Crazyorange (January 24th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (January 24th, 2016), Victorian gent (January 24th, 2016)

Thanks

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Wahl For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi Michael,

Many thanks for your valued expertise and information on my slope. I paid less than 75 quid for it 3 weeks ago. I knew it was something special when I saw the photos. My aim is to add authentic period accessories to it and as you can see from the below photo I have thrown a Victorian and a few Edwardian coins in it. I recently bought some early 19th century wax seals and I have also placed one of these inside.

I was not aware that some slopes had expensive veneers on the top and front only. I had guessed that the velvet was original on account of the minor wear and the embossing which I don't think you can replicate today. I saw a similar lock on an almost identical slope on Ebay which had only 2 pins whilst mine has 3.

The top of the pen tray is indeed veneered as the outside of the slope, it really is extremely well made.

Nice to know it's value although I wouldn't sell it as I love it so much!

Would you be able to estimate which decade within the 19th century it was made?

Thanks,

Trevor

More to come on the secret drawers later!...
    • File Type: jpg x.JPG (1.65 MB, 103 views)

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Victorian gent For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (January 24th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Welcome to the madness. Gorgeous slope. Indulge!
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

24. The Following User Says Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Hi Trevor
    Please remember I am by no means an expert and I have not seen you writing slope.

This is one of my favourite reference sites The first mention of knife cut walnut veneers like yours is 1830 to 1900 if you read further they mention that mahogany was replaced by pine in the later years. Yours is mahogany and looks to be French polished. By 1850 the style had returned to the earlier campaign type slopes with brass banding and edging / corners and as the writing material is velvet it would be a safe bet to say it is between 1830 and 1850. If you want a decade then I would say 1830.
    Having said that the lock is in the campaign style but the hinges are wrong although looking at the pictures there appear to be some marks where the "T" shaped hinges may have been replaced.

If you were a Victorian Gentleman and went to Lund one of the top makers of that time and they offered you an up to date writing slope that had campaign style features like lock and velvet cover embossing and gilded trim and the other options and you had lots of money then this is what you would have got and it would have cost a fortune.

I still think it is 1830 to 1850 any later and it would have been made from pine. If there is a secret compartment with a label I bet it is a Lund writing slope.

More rambling sorry my favourite subject.

http://hygra.com/writing.html

26. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

amk (January 25th, 2016)

Thanks

Hi Michael,

Thanks again! As I mentioned earlier there is an almost identical one on Ebay at the moment and the seller mentions it was made circa 1830, this tally's with your estimate of it's age. I am really pleased about this. I had a close look at the hinges, they fit snuggly, there is no evidence of there ever being any other hinge present. The interior is indeed mahogany and it appears to be french polished.

Now back to the secret drawers...

The furniture restorer said he managed to open these by accident when fiddling with it but he said he couldn't remember how he did it so we couldn't open it again when I collected it last week. He said it was empty but the drawers were beautifully constructed.

On Friday night still frustrated at not being able to open the secret drawers I decided to google it. A You-tube video by the gentleman running the hygra.com website explained how to open it. I attempted to pull up the divider nearest the pen compartment but nothing happened. Then I tried the one on the other side and it sprang open with a bang! Inside were the 2 beautiful drawers. One contained 2 small back pieces of ribbon which have remnants of glue on the ends and were probably attached to the velvet slope at some stage as pull-tags. I have looked all over the drawers but unfortunately there is no maker's label anywhere. What a thrill it was to discover how to open them! I have waxed the outside of the drawers and behind the piece that springs out since these photos below were taken.

I have also put a purple tassel on the key to give it the finishing touch.

Now I have to find suitable inkwells so any advice on type to buy and where to buy them would be appreciated, I'm guessing Ebay. There is a local antiques fair in 2 weeks time and one of the dealer's had some Victorian glass inkwells the last time I met him but they may not be correct, perhaps I should look for Georgian ones?

Lastly I've tried to find some genuine antique wax sticks to put in the box to no avail, there only seems to be relatively modern wax sealing sticks available. If anyone knows a source I would be most grateful.

Thanks,

Trevor
    • File Type: jpg q.JPG (1.64 MB, 102 views)
    • File Type: jpg r.JPG (1.66 MB, 104 views)
    • File Type: jpg s.JPG (1.64 MB, 105 views)
    • File Type: jpg t.JPG (1.64 MB, 106 views)
    • File Type: jpg u.JPG (1.65 MB, 99 views)
    • File Type: jpg v.JPG (1.67 MB, 100 views)
    • File Type: jpg w.JPG (1.72 MB, 106 views)
    Last edited by Victorian gent; January 24th, 2016 at 03:12 PM.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Victorian gent For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (January 25th, 2016)

Thanks

Try this supplier for the correct knobs for the drawers they are usually white or ivory coloured

http://www.rodnaylor.com/

Sorry I don't know anything about wax.
    1830 is Regency 1837 Victorian pre 1830 is Georgian if that helps finding inkwells that fit might be a good start 😀

30. The Following User Says Thank You to MY63 For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks Michael,

I have seen similar slopes with bone knobs on the secret drawers, I had assumed my tags were just different. I'm not sure I will replace them though, however at 3 pounds each they are cheap enough. Would you advise replacing them?

I've contacted Nick Banks to try and source some period inkwells, I've never dealt with him before though.

I did manage to find a pair of what were called Victorian inkwells on an auction site, they look regency to me. They are reasonably priced at 49 pounds. Do you think these are of the same period as the slope?

Thanks,

Trevor
    Last edited by Victorian gent; January 24th, 2016 at 04:40 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Victorian gent For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (January 25th, 2016)

Thanks

Wow! Welcome.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks

I must confess inkwells are not my thing however after a quick search on the internet I found the listing for those inkwells.
    The threads look very uniform almost machine cut to me and not what I would have expected for the Victorian period.

Thanks

Thank Michael,

Sounds like they may not be as old so...

I have sourced another pair from a UK dealer (see photos below) who assures me these are of the same period as my slope. The brass tops are very slightly different so they are not an exact matched pair. They are of the correct period - 19 Century. The size of each is - 44 mm x 44 mm x 35 mm High. They are cut glass with faceted collars and brass screw tops.
    Overall condition is good for their age.The inner rings on the brass tops are slightly different but unless they are placed next to each other and studied carefully it is hard to notice. (as they would be at either side of the box it would be hard to distinguish).

What do you think of these?

Thanks,

Trevor

Thanks

Hello and welcome. I am green with envy! I am a prolific letterwriter and would love that slope!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Morgaine For This Useful Post:

Victorian gent (January 25th, 2016)