Thread: Ampad Gold Fibre Pads - Anyone Tried These?

Thanks

Default Ampad Gold Fibre Pads - Anyone Tried These?

I was looking at paper, on which I am always trying to save money, and came across this pad.

http://www.amazon.com/Ampad-Writing-...4BSRA1YV5HQSB3

It comes out to a little less than 6 cents per page for 20lb paper. Is it fountain pen friendly?

gregamckinney

Default Re: Ampad Gold Fibre Pads - Anyone Tried These?

I haven't tried them lately (that is, in the last couple years,) but they used to be _great!_
    Absolutely fantastic, especially for the price.
    greg

Thanks

Can't speak for the gold fibre pads, but I hear their gold fibre computation books have gone downhill in recent years.

Thanks

Ok, I went onto Amazon and ordered an Ampad Evidence, not Gold Fibre, pad because I need a quadrille pad. I also found to my happy surprise Tops Docket Gold legal ruled tablets 8.5x11.75", 50 sheet, dozen pads for $20. I know the Tops Docket works great with fountain pens at 16lb weight. The Docket Gold are 20lb weight. So I am gambling it is the same paper, just heavier. If it is, that is a good fountain pen paper at 20lb weight for 3.3 cents a page! I'll do a review on them when they come in from Amazon.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armstrong For This Useful Post:

da vinci (January 29th, 2016), Dragonmaster Lou (February 1st, 2016), penhappy (January 30th, 2016)

Thanks

> AMPAD & MEAD 5 STAR REINFORCED QUADRILLE PAPER
    My order of paper came in from Amazon today. On time in spite of the Colorado snow storm earlier. Is this pad suitable for fountain pen usage? In a word no. It writes OK, but the paper is much like the highly pressed thin papers sold cheaply for office use. It shows through terribly.

But I was pleasantly surprised by Mead 5 Star Reinforced paper. I will do a review on it in a day or two. This is a 20lb paper, part of the reinforcement I guess and has a plastic strip running down the holes to reinforce them from tearing. On the package insert it said this paper was designed to resist bleed through! What I have is quadrille but I suspect they make regular ruled loose leaf in the reinforced line. Still the quadrille is rather subdued so it would work fine for regular writing. It is quite a nice paper for people looking for lower cost alternatives.

Five Star Reinforced Graph Filler Paper, Graph Ruled, Loose-leaf, 11 x 8.5 Inch Sheet Size, 100 Sheets/Pack @ Amazon

$3.49 for 100 sheets of a really nice paper with minimal show through is a win in my book.

After a quick check, yes they have the same paper in college rule and it is even cheaper. I think I have found my day to day fountain pen papers at ~3 cents a page.

$2.99 Five Star Reinforced Filler Paper, College Ruled, Loose-leaf, 11 x 8.5 Inch Sheet Size, 100 Sheets/Pack
    <