Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hakase

Thanks

Default Hakase

I'm looking into ordering a Hakase soon and was wondering what your guys' experience with Hakase has been like? What was the ordering experience like, especially for those who don't speak Japanese? How would you rate the quality of manufacture with other custom pens?

I've most interested in the jade celluloid and cocobolo wood pens. For anyone who owns a wooden Hakase, is there ebonite lining the inside of the cap and barrel or are threads cut directly into the wood?

Thanks so much!

BTW, for anyone who is not familiar with Hakase there's some awesome videos on YouTube of the current and former craftsman at Hakase making pens. They cut threads freehand!

Making a jade celluloid and buffalo horn pen.

Making a red ripple ebonite pen.

Cutting threads into green celluloid.

Last edited by rpsyed; January 25th, 2016 at 09:45 PM.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to rpsyed For This Useful Post:

amk (January 26th, 2016), da vinci (January 26th, 2016), earthdawn (January 28th, 2016), fountainpagan (August 31st, 2017), fountainpenkid (January 25th, 2016), FredRydr (February 1st, 2017), inklord (February 1st, 2016), Inky Poops (February 3rd, 2017), Lady Onogaro (January 25th, 2016), stub (January 25th, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: Hakase

Hakese is wonderful. My dream pin. Have had a couple of friends order. The process is very very slow. Depending on the model expect a wait of a year or more. I think his son speaks English. So work via emails. And take your time. But you will be rewarded with the most wonderful pen made just for you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nusiax For This Useful Post:

rpsyed (January 26th, 2016)

Thanks

Sorry I don't have a pen so cannot comment- but that Jade celluloid looks great!

Is there any danger it could become ambered through use?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to da vinci For This Useful Post:

rpsyed (January 26th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nusiax View Post
    Hakese is wonderful. My dream pin. Have had a couple of friends order. The process is very very slow. Depending on the model expect a wait of a year or more. I think his son speaks English. So work via emails. And take your time. But you will be rewarded with the most wonderful pen made just for you.
    Thank you! Yeah, from the website it looks like the current wait is 12 month for all pens except the urushi lacquered hurl wood ones, which take longer.

Quote Originally Posted by da vinci View Post
    Sorry I don't have a pen so cannot comment- but that Jade celluloid looks great!

Is there any danger it could become ambered through use?
    Doesn't it?!

I think it should be okay ... From what I understand, the vintage jade pens discolored because of off-gassing from the ink sacs. I think a converter pen should be okay.

Does anyone have a comment on what the #15 Pilot nibs, which Hakase uses on their bigger pens, are like? The only Pilot nibs I've used are the Vanishing Point nibs. Are the #15 springy or stiff? Glassy or with feedback?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rpsyed For This Useful Post:

da vinci (January 27th, 2016)

Thanks

My friends love the writing experience. They both traveled to Japan to pickup their finished pens. Hakase tuned their nibs to perfection for individual writing style. One friend got a custom pen made from Horn. But my other went all the way and got Tortoise shell. Oh my that was one beautiful pen. I have never seen anything like it. And the converters were decorated based on each individual personality. My dream pen €3,000 euro. Have to save a bit

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nusiax For This Useful Post:

rpsyed (January 27th, 2016)

Thanks

My friends love the writing experience. They both traveled to Japan to pickup their finished pens. Hakase tuned their nibs to perfection for individual writing style. One friend got a custom pen made from Horn. But my other went all the way and got Tortoise shell. Oh my that was one beautiful pen. I have never seen anything like it. And the converters were decorated based on each individual personality. My dream pen €3,000 euro. Have to save a bit
    I'm curious, do you know what the process of importing tortoise shell was like?
    From what I've read there are a lot of rules and paperwork involved.

Thanks

Oh they live in Dubai. So no issues. But for the west tortoise is a no go. But it was one beautiful pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thecla View Post
    I'm curious, do you know what the process of importing tortoise shell was like?
    From what I've read there are a lot of rules and paperwork involved.
    It cannot be imported in the US (and I believe Europe). Period. No paperwork, forbidden. Not the case in all places so someone living where those rules aren't in place can still buy it, like someone living in China can buy ivory. :\
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

Thanks

Well, my Hakase is ordered! I've already made the first payment. Ryo Yamamoto said a second payment is due in December 2016 and the pen should be ready by the end of January 2017.

The model I ordered is a JG15G. It'll have a pyramid barrel band and miniature scroll roll-stopper, like this pen.

But instead of African Ebony wood, like the pen above, it'll be made of green celluloid, like this.

Pilot #15, with the Hakase logo stamped, will be the nib. I picked a medium nib.

The model usually comes with a gold ring on the section, but I think it looks better without it so my section will just be plain celluloid.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rpsyed For This Useful Post:

amk (February 1st, 2016), bluesea (February 1st, 2016), earthdawn (January 31st, 2016), penwash (February 2nd, 2016)

Thanks

Stunning!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bluesea For This Useful Post:

rpsyed (February 1st, 2016)

Thanks

It is really fascinating to be able to follow the progress of your order from 'thinking about it' to the commission - hope in a year's time to see the pen itself up here on FPGeeks forum.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

rpsyed (February 1st, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluesea View Post
    Stunning!
    Thank you! I'd like to see how it compares to Romillo. It'll also be my first time using a Pilot #15 nib and the Con-70 converter, but I've heard good things about both of those things. Though I really should take a break from pen buying at some point ...
    Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    It is really fascinating to be able to follow the progress of your order from 'thinking about it' to the commission - hope in a year's time to see the pen itself up here on FPGeeks forum.
    Thanks! I'll definitely post an initial impressions and a review when I've used it for a month or two. I know there's a few reviews of Hakase pens made of water buffalo horn, and other pens made of wood, on FPN. Haven't seen any reviews of Hakase celluloid pens though. I believe, but am not certain, that the celluloid Hakase is using is the same stock as the Platinum jade celluloid.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rpsyed View Post
    Well, my Hakase is ordered! I've already made the first payment. Ryo Yamamoto said a second payment is due in December 2016 and the pen should be ready by the end of January 2017.

The model I ordered is a JG15G. It'll have a pyramid barrel band and miniature scroll roll-stopper, like this pen.

But instead of African Ebony wood, like the pen above, it'll be made of green celluloid, like this.

The model usually comes with a gold ring on the section, but I think it looks better without it so my section will just be plain celluloid.
    I like the shape of that model.
    But I think I'd go with the Water-Buffalo horn material.

I think you also should post the picture of the Hakase order form here on FPGeeks, so your journal of getting this pen would be more complete
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

22. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

rpsyed (February 2nd, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluesea View Post
    Stunning!
    Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post

I like the shape of that model.
    But I think I'd go with the Water-Buffalo horn material.

I think you also should post the picture of the Hakase order form here on FPGeeks, so your journal of getting this pen would be more complete
    I actually considered that initially, but apparently the buffalo horn pens aren't made as flat-tops. When I learned that, horn fell out of the materials I was considering. He can incorporate buffalo horn into flat-tops by making a portion of the barrel out of horn, or putting horn inlays in the top of the cap and bottom of the barrel though. I'll probably do that when I eventually review the pen =]

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

The buffalo horn ends are really a nice touch in the jade
    Attached Images Attached Images

25. The Following User Says Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

rpsyed (February 3rd, 2016)

Thanks

Well, I ended up changing my order to a CW15C, which is the same shape as the initial order, but made of Cocobolo wood, and only the barrel pyramid ring. I debated a while and decided I like the way it looked without the mini roll-stopping clip. The section will be made of red ripple ebonite. Still has a projection completion of the end of Jan. 2017.

It'll look like the pen below but with no gold ring on the section. Aside from the urushi-coated Rosewood Burl pens, Hakase wooden pens are left minimally finished so you are able to feel the texture of the wood still. I can't wait =]

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rpsyed For This Useful Post:

bluesea (May 15th, 2016), Crazyorange (May 16th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

Man I need a bottle of that ink !!!

Beautiful pen and I am anxious to see it when it arrives as i am sure you are very very anxious for its arrival as well.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

deo.chand (June 5th, 2017), rpsyed (May 14th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by earthdawn View Post

Man I need a bottle of that ink !!!

Beautiful pen and I am anxious to see it when it arrives as i am sure you are very very anxious for its arrival as well.
    Thank you! The dark sepia ink looks pretty nice! It's made with real squid ink, apparently. I've heard it has a tendency to dry out if it's in a pen that's not used daily but other than that, reviews seem pretty good.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,078 Times in 4,024 Posts

Well, I ended up changing my order to a Pilot Metropolitan. I decided to go for the Retro Pop Purple with a medium nib. I really thought about this for a long time and...

Now, if I ever open up the browser and see you post something like that, I'll fall right off my chair and onto the floor.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Shumonkey (March 11th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Well, I ended up changing my order to a Pilot Metropolitan. I decided to go for the Retro Pop Purple with a medium nib. I really thought about this for a long time and...

Now, if I ever open up the browser and see you post something like that, I'll fall right off my chair and onto the floor.
    Hahaha ... What can I say? My taste in fountain pens has become quite refined =] But honestly, though, when I'm out and about my Pilot Varsity and Lamy Safari are the pens that get used most and I love those pens. So I like pens on all parts of the spectrum.

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rpsyed For This Useful Post:

datainadequate (September 26th, 2016), inklord (February 1st, 2017), Jon Szanto (May 14th, 2016)