Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do the fountain Pens You use compare those your parents used?

Thanks

Default Re: How do the fountain Pens You use compare those your parents used?

My mother had an italic Osmiroid 65, some sort of burgundy colour, which she gave to me when I was about eight. Wish I still had it.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,494 Times in 1,751 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by brunico View Post
    My mother had an italic Osmiroid 65, some sort of burgundy colour, which she gave to me when I was about eight. Wish I still had it.
    Someone gave me a blue one. They are wonderful! Still available on fleabay, but at outrageous prices. It's said that those Osmiroid nibs are interchangeable with those of Esterbrook.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Tarshis View Post

Something to remember about the America of my youth: we were a Parker family, and there were Sheaffer families. It was analogous to being a Ford family or a Chevrolet (or General Motors) family. I have no idea whether families in other countries bought pens in the same way.
    I have inherited my grandmother's Sheaffer Triumph Tuckaway and my sister is inheriting my grandfather's Sheaffer Valiant. I guess we were/are a Sheaffer family.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Tarshis View Post
    Something to remember about the America of my youth: we were a Parker family, and there were Sheaffer families. It was analogous to being a Ford family or a Chevrolet (or General Motors) family. I have no idea whether families in other countries bought pens in the same way.
    My dad was an only son and somewhat of a rebel. While my paternal grandfather liked Hamilton watches and Sheaffer pens, my dad liked Elgin watches and Parker pens. But in Baltimore there was a similar "family" divide between those who liked Stieff and those who liked Kirk silverware.
    I prefer Hamilton and Illinois pocket watches, and Parker pens. Does that fit in?
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks

I use my grandfather and my great grandfather parker vacumatics every day at work (refurbished). My heart stopped when I did not find one of them in my breast pocket last Friday. I like the idea that they are still used.

Thanks

Ahh found it on my desk after ending lunch early and a short dash to my office.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tnordl For This Useful Post:

distracted_mom (February 14th, 2016)

Thanks

Father and I are both Parker 51, 45, Victory and Slimfold users, though he has a couple of more recent Parkers I wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

And one of the reasons I was so keen to get a Faber-Castell Ondoro in orange was that it reminded me of some of the excellent art pens that I was allowed to play with when I went to visit him at his newspaper office. Only in external looks, of course!

But I'm afraid no one in my family had the Waterman and celluloid virus. I must have picked that up... in the wild :-)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brunico View Post
    My first Fountain Pen at the age of 10 was a burgundy Osmiroid 65 and I still have it to this day. A lovely pen indeed.

Thanks

One of the pens I use was from my mother: Conklin Halloween/Clown with a flexible nib.

If you do not know what it looks like there are four here:

http://www.jakespens.net/gallery/ Just search for Halloween. The one I have is the orange, white and black one.
    My other writing instrument is a pencil.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RuiFromUK View Post
    One of the pens I use was from my mother: Conklin Halloween/Clown with a flexible nib.

http://www.jakespens.net/gallery/ Just search for Halloween. The one I have is the orange, white and black one.
    Interesting looking pen, very distinctive.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to top pen For This Useful Post:

RuiFromUK (February 16th, 2016)

Thanks

How did your mother come by such a pen?

Thanks

Does the pen have a story behind it? It's very different to pens I have seen of that era.

Thanks

My father couldn't care less about pens but my mother, who had beautiful handwriting used Parkers ( a 25, a17 and a 75) and a Lady Sheaffer. I still have the 75 and the Sheaffer. Both are reliable, and like many pens that are now vintage, better writers than many modern pens. She wrote all her reports long hand before having them typed and a pen that didn't write well would not have lasted.
    Some days, it's hardly worth chewing through the leather straps....

Thanks

I have to go back two or three generations (American in early 30s) to find people who used fountain pens in my family. My late grandfather talked about using dip nib pens and inkwells in school (c. 1930s). My wife's grandmother won a Parker Vacumatic in a shorthand contest in school (c. 1940s), which she gave to me a couple of years ago. It has a very fine nib, and I'm not sure whether such a fine pen would have been great for the swooping characters of Gregg shorthand (I work in a public library now, and there is one older woman who keeps coming back in and reserving the last book in the catalog about shorthand-- it isn't even part of our own collection, but belongs to a rural partner library. Yet 60 years ago Gregg would have been a standard office skill). My wife's grandfather gave me a Sheaffer Balance that had been owned by his father. It has a sort of flexible gold stub nib. However, neither of them had used the pens for many decades. I suspect fountain pens fell by the wayside in American life with the advent of ballpoint pens, and maybe cheaper electric typewriters, but also because of a great wave of modern design aesthetic that I associate with the Space Age. If you think about it, for most Americans, nothing was really "new" during the 1930s or 1940s, and by the time the postwar era brought more wealth and consumer goods into most peoples hands they must have been in a hurry to embrace modern appliances, housing, even writing instruments. Conversely, my favorite pens incorporate elements reminiscent of the Art Nouveau or Art Deco movements of the early 20th century--not necessarily expensive remakes of old designs, but cheap Indian acrylic or ebonite eyedropper fillers and Chinese plastic pens like the Wing Sung "Lucky".

Thanks

My father does not remember having fountain pens at home - he remembers dip pens and bottles of ink. My mother did have cartridge pens she used in school - probably high school and college - I suspect they were Wearevers or Scriptos -nothing even the wildest imagination would have considered a fancy pen at the time. My parents did not exactly come from money.

I remember that when I saw fountain pens (Shaeffer school carts) hanging on cards in the Ben Franklin I was told they were not "Real" fountain pens - one of those was my first fountain pen, probably lost long, long ago...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to scrivelry For This Useful Post:

Robert (March 2nd, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

If either of my parents (or grandparents) used one, then I'd imagine it'd be the same since I have mostly vintage pens. But I don't recall either of my parents using fountain pens or anything that they could remember past middle/high school. And just a faint recollection that my Grandmother used to use an eversharp shaped like either a skyline or symphony.

Thanks

I use a 51 that looks just like my father's, and I have a Sheaffer desk pen like my mother's.

All the new schlock I bought after finding pen forums sits in pen cups, gathering dust.

Thanks

I tend to use school and low-budget pens and not unsurprisingly, many of my vintage/semi-vintage (this is what I've taken to calling the pens from the 80s and 90s. They're not quite vintage yet, but they're getting there) pens match what my parents had. My mom was instantly able to recognize my Parker 45 as being like the ones she used in university in the 60s/70s, so I'm assuming she must have had a 45 or 51. She's also into calligraphy and really, my first exposure to fountain pens was her Sheaffer No Nonsense calligraphy pen (which was also the pen she never would let me touch because I would have probably pulled it apart trying to figure out how everything fits together, or accidentally break the cartridges open), so not unsurprisingly, I had to get my own No Nonsense pens. I know my father used fountain pens for work and university in the 70s and 80s. I've found some of his class composition books, and it's all written in what is probably Parker blue or Sheaffer Skrip blue. He told me he used to have them but they're lost somewhere in our house or storage shed or his mother's house.