Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How did you make the jump to "Expensive" pens?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Default Re: How did you make the jump to "Expensive" pens?

Quote Originally Posted by millan View Post
    "Personally, I'm still trying to imagine in what ways any pen could perform better than my Lamy 2000 or my Pilot PCH 92."-I don't believe any exists.
    1. Have you ever used a vintage flex?

2. Most people who "level up" to more expensive pens are not *necessarily* attracted to the pens because of the performance, but beauty, craftsmanship, and artistic values
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Avalona View Post
    I haven't. My pens haven't crossed the $80 range. I'm too worried about losing or breaking it. I'd rather have several workhorse pens than just one for the same cost. Maybe when I have gainful employment I'd be more willing to scale up but not right now. Perhaps I'll upgrade from my Pilot Metropolitan to a Vanishing Point or from my Sheaffer No Nonsense to a Prelude, but it won't be any time soon. My cheaper workhorses will get me through my next couple of years of university, I'm sure.
    I have one pen, Lamy 2000, above your top end, but I share your sentiments. I am older, so I will wait at least until my youngest is through college. But there are some beautiful vintage pens out there (I don't care for flex, though). To work I carry only cheap workhorses.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Avalona (March 6th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,870 Times in 811 Posts

"Personally, I'm still trying to imagine in what ways any pen could perform better than my Lamy 2000 or my Pilot PCH 92."-I don't believe any exists.
    That's what I thought about my Lamy Safari a few years back...

PS. Welcome to FPGeeks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Really depends on your personal preference of "perform better", and course when we're talking bout Lamy 2000, it also depends on your luck with getting consistent quality control (their EF and F nibs on the 2000 aren't exactly consistently great performers) to just throw it out there.

I have several pens that I feel perform much better than the L2k, and while I haven't had the Pilot Custom 92, there are a few that I find nicer than the similar sized nibs (Pilot #5) I have tried. I also tend to lean vintage for personal preference but none of my vintages have ever exceeded the $200 value mark in terms of normal second-hand pricing. Closest ones are probably the Pelikan 400NN from 1956 with a 14K Semi-Flex EF, and a 1950s Pelikan 140 in Black with a soft 14K Broad cursive italic, both under 200. Most of the other vintages value wise hover at 100 or less.

As I said it really boils back down to personal preference, and sometimes your specific preference for shape, weight, size, feel, response etc has a higher price tag, and sometimes your expectation is lower. Kind of like someone saying they can't imagine any way another pen could perform better than a Jinhao X750 or a Zebra, but that's all they ever used.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

OOPS! Detail correction: The Pelikan Toledo 700 did not cost more than $500, so my first pen that cost more than $500 was the Montblanc Hemingway.

Also forgot to mention how after my enthusiasm for Nakaya took hold of my senses, I started thinking of other items in terms of Nakayas, not dollars. A weekend trip to New Orleans to attend a Gogol Bordello concert, for instance, cost around two Nakayas.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    By "expensive" I'm talking about $500 (USD) and beyond fountain pens.

What's your story?
    What pushed you to that level?
    Haven't crossed the $500 threshold on a single pen yet. I've managed to find reasonable deals on the pens I desire to stay below this fateful line.

I once spent $700 on a set of 4 lovely pens. It was a good deal, so good that someone tracked me down a few weeks later and offered me over $1000 for them. I was persuaded to oblige.

I'd be glad to cross the $500 mark again if it's another good deal like this.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks

[QUOTE=penwash;161545]

No, or rather if I have, I'm not sure I would notice. I have a light touch and don't try to impose flex on the nib.

Thanks

I'm a newbie so no over $500 pens. Ask in a few years I guess...we'll see how well I held out then. A year ago, $100 was my limit but then 6 months ago I fell in love with the Amethyst M205 from Pelikan. I had just lost someone whose favorite color was purple and that pen feels like a tribute when I use it.
    But then once I went over $100 for that purchase and I loved that pen so much, it is easier to spend that much now on other M2xx's and M4xx's. So limit has moved to $250. But for $250 I need to feel like I'm making a really good deal. (I think I only paid over $200 for one of my pens, everything else has been less, and I do not regret that over $200 pen). I try be practical and I want to USE my pens, not be precious over them, so I have been happy getting a pen I want that's been used and costs less because its no longer perfect. That way I don't think so much about how much I spent and more about how much fun I'm having using them.
    Last edited by Nineninenine; March 6th, 2016 at 10:51 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Nineninenine For This Useful Post:

Hawk (March 7th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

No, or rather if I have, I'm not sure I would notice. I have a light touch and don't try to impose flex on the nib.
    If you have, you would notice, since even a light touch (by the definition of most firm nib users) would show it pretty easily especially when stepping up the pace. But even the firmer semi-flex of some of the vintage brands themselves are a different feeling/experience (which course you may or may not like).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post

If you have, you would notice, since even a light touch (by the definition of most firm nib users) would show it pretty easily especially when stepping up the pace. But even the firmer semi-flex of some of the vintage brands themselves are a different feeling/experience (which course you may or may not like).

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I bought a Waterman Lady Patricia with a lovely fine nib and had it, using it only sometimes, for a couple of years at least before discovering the amazing flexible nib. In the hand of good calligraphers (Ewa Landowska in Poland, to name one), the nib produces superb Spencerian script. In my hand, the result is jarring, jaggedy thick and thin lines, but wow, what a nib!

Thanks

Closed my eyes and hit the buy icon.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Greypix For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (March 7th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I bought a Waterman Lady Patricia with a lovely fine nib and had it, using it only sometimes, for a couple of years at least before discovering the amazing flexible nib. In the hand of good calligraphers (Ewa Landowska in Poland, to name one), the nib produces superb Spencerian script. In my hand, the result is jarring, jaggedy thick and thin lines, but wow, what a nib!
    But the point here is, you did notice thick and thin lines, which won't happen if you use a firm nib.

I produce embarrassingly ugly script even with an Aikin Lambert nib, but I knew that I was using a nice superflex and not a nail.
    Last edited by penwash; March 7th, 2016 at 05:59 AM.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    But the point here is, you did notice thick and thin lines, which won't happen if you use a firm nib.

I produce embarrassingly ugly script even with an Aikin Lambert nib, but I knew that I was using a nice superflex and not a nail.
    As embarrassing as it might be to admit, all I noticed was that the nib was kindv soft. I tend to hold a pen at a high angle, so that probably contributed to my ignorance. I thought the minor line variation was because of the soft nib and I kept trying to hold it so that the nib would feel firm. Annnnd did no damage, thankfully.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greypix View Post
    Closed my eyes and hit the buy icon.
    perfect

Thanks

I crept up on that price point slowly over a few years. Being a rather thrifty person (cheap) I had a list of pens that I wanted and would scan the penboards and ebay and other locations to see if I could find one from my list. For the most part I could eventually find it for 70% off of MSRP. Used of course but I'm not one to really care if it is hermetically sealed. So my first $500+ pen cost me about $200 and was a Montegrappa can't remember the flavor but it was a plastic and silver. Along the way I would buy and sell pens in the rotation to go higher and higher. I only once went about $1500 and that was the last expensive pen I ever bought. All of the fun and writing joy I have found in pens beneath the floorboards (<50!). You don't get the ego boost from having other pen nuts envy you but for the most part an expensive pen and a student/ cheap pen will give a similar line.
    Be Here Now