Thread: Montegrappa Fortuna

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Default Montegrappa Fortuna

It seems like Montegrappa released a new pen line a couple of months ago...http://www.pensandleather.com/monteg...s/fortuna.aspx

The pen does look cool, but $275 for a c/c steel nibbed pen seems very excessive. Thoughts anyone?

Best,
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

What the nib is made from is far less important than how well the nib is made and I'd prefer a cartridge/converter system over other filling systems any day. I think it's commendable that Montegrappa is returning to their roots and making a full line of pens that cover everything from the low entry level price point on up to the high end small volume limited editions.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

ballboy (January 29th, 2015)

Thanks

I do like the fact that they've released the Parola and then this at the under $300 range--it makes them more widespread as more people will be able to find something they like (a contrast to this would be Ancora, which seems to make nothing more than very pricey limited editions, even though they once made wonderful pens like the Calamus). But, I think that any pen over $200 should have a gold nib unless it is some custom made pen like an Edison. I don't think that gold is better, but for that price, you want to be paying for something a bit more than a name. Look at Stipula, and the great pens they've released for under $200 recently--some even with Titanium nibs and eyedropper fillers. I just don't think there is a justification for the price of the Parola or the Fortuna in the market today. I think $175 would be more appropriate for both of them.
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; December 2nd, 2012 at 11:12 AM.
    Will

Thanks

Well, for me a titanium nib is more just a gimmick like carbon fiber and not an asset and an eyedropper is a deal breaker. But the market will decide which price point is right, if the pen sells then it is priced right. And as I said, I have many pens, some that sell for way more than the Fortuna that have steel nibs and many steel nibs that write as well or better than gold nibs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Well, for me a titanium nib is more just a gimmick like carbon fiber and not an asset and an eyedropper is a deal breaker. But the market will decide which price point is right, if the pen sells then it is priced right. And as I said, I have many pens, some that sell for way more than the Fortuna that have steel nibs and many steel nibs that write as well or better than gold nibs.
    The Eyedroppers can also be used as c/c pens ofcourse. Also, I don't think a Titanium nib is a gimmick---for less money than you would spend for a gold nib, you can get some flex(although different from vintage flex from what I hear...)
    Will

Thanks

Flex is a fad too.

Thanks

So are fountain pens themselves then; on a broad spectrum at least
    Will

Thanks

Much of the current interest is certainly a fad.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    ...But, I think that any pen over $200 should have a gold nib unless it is some custom made pen like an Edison. I don't think that gold is better, but for that price, you want to be paying for something a bit more than a name.
    I certainly don't agree with this at all. None of us have any idea what the costs are in producing this particular pen. What if it was a David Oscarson with a steel nib? Would you still expect it to be under $200? I'm thankful these pens don't come with gold nibs because they'd automatically be at least $150 more expensive.

Granted, brand image does influence the price, but you'll find that with every manufacturer.

And as much as I prefer a piston filler, it's hard to deny the simplicity and convenience of the c/c.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dannzeman View Post
    I certainly don't agree with this at all. None of us have any idea what the costs are in producing this particular pen. What if it was a David Oscarson with a steel nib? Would you still expect it to be under $200? I'm thankful these pens don't come with gold nibs because they'd automatically be at least $150 more expensive.

Granted, brand image does influence the price, but you'll find that with every manufacturer.

And as much as I prefer a piston filler, it's hard to deny the simplicity and convenience of the c/c.
    Yes, you have a point. A David Oscarson does require much more than most pens--the beautiful enamel work, and the lacquer. THAT is something that adds obvious value--it is handmade and takes a long time to make. But in the case of a pen like the Fortuna, which seems to be a resin pen with plated metal trim, where is all the value coming from? Unless it is hand-turned on a lathe, and then hand-polished..etc, I just don't think that price is justified for a non LE pen. People can always pay as much as they want--but will they want to with this? And adding an automatic $150 for a gold nib? Gold certainly doesn't cost $150 more than steel for a tiny piece of it like that...and it is more malleable so it should be easier to shape...it doesn't make sense why there is such a price difference.
    Will

Thanks

And adding an automatic $150 for a gold nib? Gold certainly doesn't cost $150 more than steel for a tiny piece of it like that...and it is more malleable so it should be easier to shape...it doesn't make sense why there is such a price difference.

Currently steel is selling at about $500.00 a ton while gold is at about $1700.00 an ounce. How many ounces in a ton?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Currently steel is selling at about $500.00 a ton while gold is at about $1700.00 an ounce. How many ounces in a ton?
    Yes. There is a huge difference...but not an $150 difference. You'll here many well know pen sellers valuing the gold in mid-sized nibs around $20...I think they're right.
    Will

Thanks

Default Re: Montegrappa Fortuna

I do like the fact that they've released the Parola and then this at the under $300 range--it makes them more widespread as more people will be able to find something they like (a contrast to this would be Ancora, which seems to make nothing more than very pricey limited editions, even though they once made wonderful pens like the Calamus). But, I think that any pen over $200 should have a gold nib unless it is some custom made pen like an Edison. I don't think that gold is better, but for that price, you want to be paying for something a bit more than a name. Look at Stipula, and the great pens they've released for under $200 recently--some even with Titanium nibs and eyedropper fillers. I just don't think there is a justification for the price of the Parola or the Fortuna in the market today. I think $175 would be more appropriate for both of them.
    The Parola has been nothing short of extremely disappointing for me. Despite its inflated cost and despite the fact that I exchanged the nib for being scratchy, this pen's nib is still a "nail"!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Drow View Post
    The Parola has been nothing short of extremely disappointing for me. Despite its inflated cost and despite the fact that I exchanged the nib for being scratchy, this pen's nib is still a "nail"!
    I am sorry to hear that. I don't think it was designed to flex in any way though...
    Will

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

I hate my Fortuna (the stealth one).

Clip is way to tight to be useful, even though it has a wheel.

Threads on the cap feel scratchy and squeak when used.

Pen is way too light and the furniture rattles.

Nib (medium) is dry and scratchy.

No way I would ever consider a more expensive Montegrappa after my experience with this one.

Thanks

Have you contacted the dealer that sold it to you?

You'll find the clips tend to be tight until you spin the wheel a few times.

Try a small amount of silicone on both the wheel (use a tooth pick so you only lube the inner part of the doughnut) and the cap threads should help.

Not much to be done about the weight. Did you ask about weight before you bought it?

What furniture rattles?

Have you tried a wet ink?

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

I don't want to put lube on the outside of my pen, especially the threads which I will be touching as I write.

The rings aren't attached properly and can rattle.

I have tried a wet ink and it helps a little, but it doesn't account for how fine and scratchy this medium nib is. A nib that performs much like a Japanese medium or finer.

When I said weight, I meant balance. You can feel every component of the pen separately in its balance when you write with it.

I have a medium (~ 70 pen collection) and this is definitely the most disappointing pen I own.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wayne.robinson View Post
    I don't want to put lube on the outside of my pen, especially the threads which I will be touching as I write.

The rings aren't attached properly and can rattle.

I have tried a wet ink and it helps a little, but it doesn't account for how fine and scratchy this medium nib is. A nib that performs much like a Japanese medium or finer.

When I said weight, I meant balance. You can feel every component of the pen separately in its balance when you write with it.

I have a medium (~ 70 pen collection) and this is definitely the most disappointing pen I own.
    Yes, Montegrappa nibs run towards the fine end of each range except in the Extra Fine where it is pretty much as expected.

If the rings (cap ? ) are loose then what did the dealer you bought the pen from say when you contacted them?

A very small amount of pure glycerine should not make any difference even if you touch it and I'm unsure how you would ever touch the inside of the roller on the clip or the threads inside the cap. Again, what did they say when you contacted the dealer.

I still have no idea what "When I said weight, I meant balance. You can feel every component of the pen separately in its balance when you write with it." means so can't help much there.

I can only tell you that the two dozen or so Montegrappas I own and use don't show the symptoms you describe. It really sounds like you need to contact the dealer that sold you that dead horse.