Thread: Initial Impressions: Scriptorium Pens Aeterna in Tibaldi Impero celluloid

Thanks

Default Initial Impressions: Scriptorium Pens Aeterna in Tibaldi Impero celluloid

My Scriptorium custom arrived yesterday! I was at school when it arrived and then had work immediately after, so it was past midnight when I could finally ink it up. It's beautiful! The camphor smell is just beguiling.

The pen has a sterling silver roll-stop, which Renee commissioned from her silversmith. I ordered the pen with two nibs, a fine and a medium - both are rhodium-plated 18kt gold. You can see the Scriptorium "S" shield logo engraved on the nib.

Being celluloid, it could possibly stain. I ordered a spare black ebonite section, to prepare for that possibility. I could not find any instances of the Tibaldi Impero celluloid staining, but it's a possibility and I figured a spare section was a good idea.

It's really hard to capture the depth of the material. This photo is taken with as much focus as I could get with my shaky hands.

I had asked for a pen in the flat-top Romillo style with a circular roll-stop. This was a custom order but Renee liked the model and added it to her lineup under the name Aeterna, which means "everlasting, eternal" in Latin. This is a medium-size pen on her pen dimensions chart.

Renee did a fantastic job. I've been fortunate enough to own custom pens by some of the other pen craftsman and Renee's craftsmanship definitely holds its own.

This one is taken with HDR on. As you turn the pen in you hands, light plays inside the chipped ice pattern with deep blue veins and it's just stunning.

I've so far just used the medium nib and inked it up with Diamine Damson. It's a wonderfully smooth writer!

Here's the Aeterna compared to a few other pens I had close by. From left: Hakumin/Edison Pearl, Shawn Newton custom, Romillo Eo #9, Scriptorium Aeterna (medium-size), and Eboya Kyouka (medium-size).

I'll do an in-depth review when I've had some more time to use it.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rpsyed For This Useful Post:

bluesea (February 10th, 2016), carlos.q (February 10th, 2016), earthdawn (February 10th, 2016), inklord (February 11th, 2016), Miss Fountain Pen (February 11th, 2016), penwash (February 10th, 2016), rgperedo (February 11th, 2016), writingrav (February 10th, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: Initial Impressions: Scriptorium Pens Aeterna in Tibaldi Impero celluloid

Fairly spectacular I'd say.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bluesea For This Useful Post:

rpsyed (February 10th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,870 Times in 811 Posts

Default Re: Initial Impressions: Scriptorium Pens Aeterna in Tibaldi Impero celluloid

Ahhh... This a Romillo look-a-like for the rest of us!!!

Congratulations!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluesea View Post
    Fairly spectacular I'd say.
    Thank you! This is my first celluloid pen and I'm smitten.

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    Ahhh... This a Romillo look-a-like for the rest of us!!!

Congratulations!
    Thank you! Renee's name choice for the model is so appropriate. It's really a timeless design.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Congratulations! Renee's work is second to none.
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

9. The Following User Says Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by writingrav View Post
    Congratulations! Renee's work is second to none.
    Thank you! Agreed =]

Thanks

Awesome pen! I can hardly wait for my Scriptorium Master Scrivener. I believe Renee will make it and ship it by the end of the month. In the meanwhile, I keep checking her Instagram in a somewhat OCD fashion (which I'm somewhat embarrassed by, but I can't help myself).

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Fountain Pen For This Useful Post:

rpsyed (February 11th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fountain Pen View Post
    Awesome pen! I can hardly wait for my Scriptorium Master Scrivener. I believe Renee will make it and ship it by the end of the month. In the meanwhile, I keep checking her Instagram in a somewhat OCD fashion (which I'm somewhat embarrassed by, but I can't help myself).
    Thank you! Ooh, I'm sure you'll enjoy it and that material you picked is so striking and beautiful! My first Shawn Newton pen is made of Alumilite. If you haven't had a pen made of it before, it's a great material and has a wonderful feel in the hand, and it's easy to grip.

Renee's threads are super smooth, everything is precisely fitted and finished -- it's definitely something to look forward to!

I did the same thing. I actually still check Renee's Instagram almost daily, as well as Shawn Newton's Instagram and a couple others. Renee will email you when your pen is up on the queue so you can follow along online =] It's fun to see you pen be made out of the raw rod stock.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rpsyed For This Useful Post:

Miss Fountain Pen (February 11th, 2016)