Thread: Faber castel loom question.

Thanks

Default Faber castel loom question.

My friend just got new Faber castel loom and it is leaking out the collar. Would the nib assembly just unscrew? Or is it not a screw in type I was thinking just unscrew for him apply silicone grease call it good? Would that work

Thanks

Default Re: Faber castel loom question.

Was he/ she using a converter or cartridge?
    Also had the converter been used in a different pen before hand?

If it was a converter that had been another pen before hand I'd suspect the converter fit's loosely on the Faber Castell. European standard intentional cartridges / converter are slightly different to ones seen on Chinese pen. The hole on the converter is smaller on European pens so therefore the ink seal may not be tight causing the pen to leak.

If the above is true try with a cartridge. If your friend was using a cartridge and the pen was leaking I'd return it.

Thanks

Where is the leak, that is the first question. If it's more ink than the feed can deal with, maybe there's a gap between the converter and the feed? Definitely don't want grease to get on the feed or nib. If the leak is actually between the collar and barrel and it's a screw in (I actually don't know), silicone grease on the threads might stop the leak, but there is still the question of where is the ink building up that it's going where it shouldn't; if it can't pool there where will it pool instead? Just speculating; I haven't done such a repair on a Faber-Castell Loom.
    Last edited by gbryal; February 11th, 2016 at 01:03 PM.

Thanks

The lead is between the barrel and the collar. I see Stephen brown has a video on the loom and he showed it as a screw out section. So I guess I'll try some silicone. Unfortunately I only twsbi silicone which is quiet thin so I need to wait for my goulet package to come

Thanks

Don't do that. Screw it in and see if it still leaks.

It should not need ANY SILLY GREASE.

If it does that is an indication that it is busted and all you are doing is covering up a symptom and not curing the underlying problem.

If it is busted, on the plus side, there is no pen company in the history of this here little blue marble with better service that FC. You can likely very easily get a working replacement. Their after service is without peer.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

KKay (February 27th, 2016)

Thanks

My standard international converter fit loosely in my Loom. It was always coming loose inside the barrel.

I got some electrical tape and wrapped it around the converter a couple of times. Now it fits more securely and doesn't leak any more.

Thanks

I just came across this thread with a very similar problem. I don't know if it's just characteristic of the pen, if something is broken, or if something needs adjustment.

It is leaking, but I have confirmed it's not between the barrel and feed. I used a piece of Teflon tape on the feed/barrel threads. When it was still leaking, I disassembled the pen and found that the Teflon tape was clean. I also noticed fairly large amounts of ink on the feed, and if I give it even a slight bump it will drip ink onto the page. This has not happened with my Lamy.

I am using Noodler's Bad Belted Kingfisher ink and a Faber Castell piston cartridge. The nib is extra fine.

Larry
    Last edited by larryb; June 12th, 2016 at 01:26 PM. Reason: add additional information