Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: On the Subject of FPN, Censorship, and Community

Thanks
    Thanked 11,066 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default On the Subject of FPN, Censorship, and Community

I will certainly reserve judgement until I read Part Two of the article, but this is some serious stuff:

The Craven Submission of the Fountain Pen Network
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 15th, 2016), Haefennasiel (February 19th, 2016), HughC (February 14th, 2016), Kaputnik (February 14th, 2016), Manny (March 7th, 2016), pengeezer (February 14th, 2016), ppmiranda (February 15th, 2016), reprieve (February 15th, 2016), TheInkluminati (February 14th, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: On the Subject of FPN, Censorship, and Community

Cough <Conway Stewart> cough

Doesn't surprise me but it is a very sad affair for both parties.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to carlc For This Useful Post:

Annie (February 18th, 2016)

Thanks

Huh. I don't go there, apart from rare forays when a search for information provides a hit. I read, close the tab, and end up back here with the same or more complete information than I got there. Heavy-handed mods with Chihuahua syndrome and axes to grind chased me away a couple years ago.
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreck For This Useful Post:

Robert (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Definitely serious....can't help but wonder what Wim is getting for complying with MB. Thinking out loud,but
    it's the most obvious point--I don't think he's doing it for nothing. I daresay that MB will provide a reply
    that isn't couched in smoke and mirrors.

John

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Blown totally out of proportion. MB has always tried to keep stuff secret and all FPN did was agree to not post material MB asked not to be posted. No force. No threats. Just polite requests.

Bunch of whiners getting their diapers in a wad.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

johniem (February 15th, 2016), Newjelan (February 16th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (February 15th, 2016), Sandy Fry (February 14th, 2016), TAYLORPUPPY (February 18th, 2016), TSherbs (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Given the now very commercial aspect of FPN there's every chance MB and FPN have a financial arrangement, one that benefits Wim ( who probably makes a reasonable bit out of FPN) and MB in showcasing their product in a good light. Money dictates what stays or goes. Is it right or wrong ? There's nothing wrong with Wim running FPN with an eye to profit, there's nothing wrong with him moderating as he pleases because he owns FPN. The error is in users thinking it's a fair and open/unbiased forum, it isn't.

Regards
    Hugh

11. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to HughC For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (February 14th, 2016), Crazyorange (February 15th, 2016), Dreck (February 14th, 2016), fountainpenkid (February 15th, 2016), Giovanni Abrate (February 16th, 2016), pajaro (February 27th, 2016), pengeezer (February 14th, 2016), Tracy Lee (February 22nd, 2016), tragique (February 14th, 2016)

Thanks

One one hand... I think it's nice that some part of the internet may respect certain content-creator's (in this case... pen creators?) wishes. But on the other, it is really strange to me how FPN protects vendors in the industry.

I had the same experience as the author of being interested in a Minuskin pen, doing some Googling, then ultimately being not particularly happy with the experience. (It wasn't terrible, after a little bit of back and forth Greg let me return the pen.)
    Pens and Perspective for all hands, great and small (including pen reviews by the small handed!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlc View Post
    Cough <Conway Stewart> cough

Doesn't surprise me but it is a very sad affair for both parties.
    I was going to add CS to my comment,but decided to hold off. Nevertheless,your addition fits.

John

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HughC View Post
    Given the now very commercial aspect of FPN there's every chance MB and FPN have a financial arrangement, one that benefits Wim ( who probably makes a reasonable bit out of FPN) and MB in showcasing their product in a good light. Money dictates what stays or goes. Is it right or wrong ? There's nothing wrong with Wim running FPN with an eye to profit, there's nothing wrong with him moderating as he pleases because he owns FPN. The error is in users thinking it's a fair and open/unbiased forum, it isn't.

Regards
    Hugh
    +1

John

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Blown totally out of proportion. MB has always tried to keep stuff secret and all FPN did was agree to not post material MB asked not to be posted. No force. No threats. Just polite requests.

Hey jar, you're mistaken. This is not about FPN agreeing not to post material, its about FPN deleting material which has already been posted -- effectively censoring the free and legal speech of its users. You might not think of that as much of an issue but obviously the community does: the blog post has more than 1500 views (in less than 24 hours) and it's already being discussed right across the community -- here, reddit, twitter, Facebook, Slack rooms, and at the LA show. If the mods hadn't shut down the post, it'd be discussion at FPN too. Just because you don't like the discussion doesn't mean the topic shouldn't be discussed.

Now, I always had the impression that Americans held the right to free speech as being sacrosanct. It's interesting to see an American -- a Texan, no less -- so untroubled by censorship. Then again, this is a Texan who quotes himself three times in his own signature and is perhaps more interested in his own speech than that of others.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jd16 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

Hey jar, you're mistaken. This is not about FPN agreeing not to post material, its about FPN deleting material which has already been posted -- effectively censoring the free and legal speech of its users. You might not think of that as much of an issue but obviously the community does: the blog post has more than 1500 views (in less than 24 hours) and it's already being discussed right across the community -- here, reddit, twitter, Facebook, Slack rooms, and at the LA show. If the mods hadn't shut down the post, it'd be discussion at FPN too. Just because you don't like the discussion doesn't mean the topic shouldn't be discussed.

Now, I always had the impression that Americans held the right to free speech as being sacrosanct. It's interesting to see an American -- a Texan, no less -- so untroubled by censorship. Then again, this is a Texan who quotes himself three times in his own signature and is perhaps more interested in his own speech than that of others.
    Sorry but it seems you have no idea of what the Right to Free Speech even entails.

Free speech does not mean anyone can say anything they want anywhere they want. But ignorance of that fact seems frighteningly common these days just as the other utter nonsense so often spouted on the web is common.

I have no issue with the decision at FPN nor with folk expressing their personal views, however ignorant and uninformed they might be in other venues. I support their right to say such stuff in venues where it is appropriate. But I also have the right to point out that it is whining over nothing.

That does not change the facts that it has been blown totally out of proportion and that folk are just whining infants with their diapers in a wad.

As to FPN deleting posts? Yup, happens, has happened in the past and likely will happen in the future. In fact some of my posts have been deleted over there.

But I understand that I do not have an unlimited Right to Free Speech in many venues. If I come to your house and say stuff you dislike I understand you have every right to toss my sorry ass out. On an internet forum my Right of Free Speech is limited to whatever extent the owners and administrators of the forum decide.

And that is how it should be. They should have the right to censure any speech that is on their site to any extent they wish.

17. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

alaskazimm (February 17th, 2016), DaveBj (February 17th, 2016), Dragonmaster Lou (February 15th, 2016), Haefennasiel (May 16th, 2016), opus7600 (March 7th, 2016), pajaro (February 27th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (February 15th, 2016), TAYLORPUPPY (February 18th, 2016), TSherbs (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

I have never been a member of a forum I disliked more and which was more unevenly and eccentrically moderated than the FPN.

Totally hamfisted moderation. Warnings and bans for seemingly no reason, but other blatant infractions just left to stand. I received a warning based on a wild insane reading of a thread, with sentiments attributed to me that I wasn't even close to saying or implying. Some of the mods there seem to have reading comprehension issues. Totally bonkers, arbitrary, plus the software is a disaster, slow loading, lots of down time, and the classifieds (the one reason to check that board daily) have been ruined for months on end by one user whose turned it into his own private store front.

However, this response is baffling to me. I am pretty sure the US constitution was not addressing privately owned and registered internet forums when talking about a free press. Most forums are moderated and awful moderation (an FPN specialty) is not censorship. A forum is more like private property where the owner gets to set the rules. I think you need to think about censorship and the US constitution and how that differs from an internet forum. This is a weird false equivalency that is trotted out over and over again. Wim is free to run the FPN as craptacularly as he wants. AND CONGRATS ON DOING A BANG UP JOB OF THAT. haha.

Edited to add: [Nevertheless, I largely agree with the posted article from peneconomics linked above]

Last edited by stub; February 14th, 2016 at 09:10 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Dragonmaster Lou (February 15th, 2016), RNHC (March 11th, 2016)

Thanks

Hey jar, you're mistaken. [snip] Just because you don't like the discussion doesn't mean the topic shouldn't be discussed.
    I can already tell that my good friend Jar and I disagree on some of the main points in play, but nowhere in what he has said indicated that he doesn't like the discussion or that it shouldn't be discussed. You are making that up out of thin air. He may very well think all of this is lame, but I am certain he is behind everyone's right to discuss it.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Haefennasiel (May 16th, 2016), HughC (February 14th, 2016), Marsilius (February 14th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Dunno what all the fuss is about. Comments were posted. MB asked politely for them to be taken down. FPN complied.

Also, as to the right of Freedom of Speech for all us Americans, isn't FPN based in Europe?

David

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandy Fry For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pengeezer View Post
    Definitely serious....can't help but wonder what Wim is getting for complying with MB. Thinking out loud,but
    it's the most obvious point--I don't think he's doing it for nothing. I daresay that MB will provide a reply
    that isn't couched in smoke and mirrors.

John
    Actually I suspect that the opposite is true in this case.

From the tone of things said in the FPN thread it looks like Wim is responding to pressure, not incentive.

The FPN relationship with manufacturers and retailers/service providers in terms of censorship of negative posts has always struck me as a disservice to the community because it isn't obvious to the reader. Thus as Dr Deans notes the average punter can not get a clear picture of a service provider (for instance) due to the rules on FPN.

Even if you are aware of the rules it is not possible to know if feedback is routinely positive due to a lack of negative experiences or a lack of negative feedback.

25. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to carlc For This Useful Post:

Annie (February 18th, 2016), Dreck (February 15th, 2016), Jon Szanto (February 15th, 2016), oldstoat (February 17th, 2016), reprieve (February 15th, 2016), RNHC (March 11th, 2016), Rossler (February 25th, 2016), stub (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Fry View Post
    Dunno what all the fuss is about. Comments were posted. MB asked politely for them to be taken down. FPN complied.
    Why should a business that has no connection to a site that I contribute to have a power over whether or not my contributions are summarily removed? Fuck Montblanc.

~ Benjamin Franklin

27. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Dreck (February 15th, 2016), Manny (March 7th, 2016), oldstoat (February 17th, 2016), reprieve (February 15th, 2016), Rossler (February 25th, 2016), stub (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,453 Times in 4,002 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Fry View Post

Also, as to the right of Freedom of Speech for all us Americans, isn't FPN based in Europe?

David
    Yes, the Netherlands I believe.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

It doesn't surprise me one bit considering the stuff they normally do for vendor members of the forums. I was once in an argument with someone who counts as a vendor on there when there was a petty debate of 'safe' brands of silicone grease, I was able to find the manufacture specs proving him wrong, but then I was banned for a few days and the moderators not only removed my comments but also edited out the incorrect information from his post to make it seem like he didn't say anything contradictory at all (and it was mod edited because it didn't have an 'edited flag').

Not to say they can't do it, but it does raise some ethical questions.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (February 15th, 2016), oldstoat (February 17th, 2016), RNHC (March 11th, 2016), Rossler (February 25th, 2016)

Thanks

Well I am deleting my access to FPN. I honestly thought it was a community of like minded individuals sharing their experiences and desires as we lust over the latest fountain pen news.

I love Montblanc. I currently have 3 of them. But pushing to stop discussion of their pens is a strong move and will be in my mind as I look at future pen purchases.

I can see asking professional writers to hold off on a review until release. But to delete posts of average individual discussing a topic is a bit too far

Discussion forums to me are people sitting around a fire chatting about topics.

But if one person is going to ban a topic for others sitting around the fire. By saying it is his fire. Then it is time to find a new fire freely open to discuss the topics I like.

So good bye FPN. You will survive because people lack conviction. But diehards will move own. This losing substance and respectability

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nusiax For This Useful Post:

Panos (March 5th, 2016), Rossler (February 25th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

So good bye FPN. You will survive because people lack conviction. But diehards will move own. This losing substance and respectability
    [sic]

Bit melodramatic there.

The reality is that I (for one) find both FPN and FPG to be useful sources of friendship, information and help in their own ways, and frankly speaking there are far more important things in life to get het up about than what someone may or may not be able to say on a minority interest forum.

You make your choices to suit yourself, but please do not presume to label those of us who make different choices.

34. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (February 15th, 2016), Haefennasiel (May 16th, 2016), johniem (February 15th, 2016), Newjelan (February 16th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (February 15th, 2016), TSherbs (February 15th, 2016)