Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: On the Subject of FPN, Censorship, and Community

Thanks

Default Re: On the Subject of FPN, Censorship, and Community

Well, well. MB sure knows how to create bad publicity for itself. It's possible that it doesn't matter too much to them, though. I suspect that FP diehards are a relatively small percentage of their customer base, and FP diehards are the only ones who care about this. It would be different for a brand such as (say) Nakaya or Danitrio. I would guess that those sell a large majority of their pens to the diehards, and so if they p!ssed us (the diehards) off, it could seriously hurt them and maybe even put them out business. But for MB, we probably don't matter all that much.

Thanks

I emailed Montblanc about the issue. Also do not think it is melodramatic. I subscribe to find truthful and unbiased information.

But when a manufacture or admin deletes factual information because it is not what they want to see hear or read. Then the source is no longer factual or unbiased.

There are many groups out there. FPN is one of the largest. But by far not the only source.

I work in technology and if we do not want information to be discussed then we do not allow the info to be accessed externally.

If you send brochures and samples to shops before release then you have an expectation that the information will be released.

In ordered a JFK Montblanc because my local dealer had a sample. I fell in love.

I do not like censorship no matter the form. If FPN wants to control info then they need to close the forum and become a blog based news agency

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nusiax For This Useful Post:

oldstoat (February 17th, 2016), Rossler (February 25th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Now I understand this better.....

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...nks-this-year/

Read it before it goes away.

I'm surprised MB publishes a brochure with new products, which is given to customers who later "let the goose out of the bag". That's the stupidest thing ever. Hell I would want excited customers sharing that information....it's free advertising for MB.

That all said, though our forum has problems, we don't censor like FPN. I've been censored over "there" and the post was harmless ( or least I thought). I agree with others about their thoughts on FPN, the censoring is all over the place.

I kept the alert for a new ink thread, which lists the new MB ink. If we think we are up for it, I can post it here. Should we take on the breast of MB?

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (February 15th, 2016), Mr. Reader (March 13th, 2016), reprieve (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyorange View Post

Seems gone already... (Or at least the first post is.)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Fountain Pen View Post

Seems gone already... (Or at least the first post is.)
    The original post was censored by the OP as they had read somewhere else that MB was requesting posts (on new pens) to be taken down.

At least the thread gives the impression of how other FPN members feel about it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

Mr. Reader (March 13th, 2016)

Thanks

I kept the alert for a new ink thread, which lists the new MB ink. If we think we are up for it, I can post it here. Should we take on the breast of MB?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Fuck Montblanc.

Thanks

It seems the days is coming closer as Mr. Twydle predicted.
    "Its current marketing policy is based entirely on its self-perceived importance and when the tide turns, as it inevitably will, its fall from grace could be quite dramatic."
    Peter Twydle

But then again, in a blind hunt for publicity, they once again got some people talking about a brand that manufactures not much more than overpriced black pens, flagships of a bygone era. I will miss some of the inks, the pens not so much...
    here men from the pennet earth
    first set nib on the moon
    we came in peace for all penknid

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pengeezer View Post
    Definitely serious....can't help but wonder what Wim is getting for complying with MB. Thinking out loud,but
    it's the most obvious point--I don't think he's doing it for nothing. I daresay that MB will provide a reply
    that isn't couched in smoke and mirrors.

John
    Actually I suspect that the opposite is true in this case.

From the tone of things said in the FPN thread it looks like Wim is responding to pressure, not incentive.

The FPN relationship with manufacturers and retailers/service providers in terms of censorship of negative posts has always struck me as a disservice to the community because it isn't obvious to the reader. Thus as Dr Deans notes the average punter can not get a clear picture of a service provider (for instance) due to the rules on FPN.

Even if you are aware of the rules it is not possible to know if feedback is routinely positive due to a lack of negative experiences or a lack of negative feedback.
    I would agree with you,but my thinking is this: If I were running a forum on fountain pens,why would I care what a
    major fountain pen company wants(especially when they already put out a brochure to some loyal forum members)
    unless I had a fiduciary relationship with them either in the form of payment or advertising? Wim isn't being nice to
    be nice.

John

Thanks

Would someone please mention 'precious resin' then I can shout BINGO!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carlc For This Useful Post:

jbb (February 15th, 2016), Woody (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

I don't get in the middle of debates like this but I have to say after reading this from Wimg
    Dearest people,

I would like to draw your attention to the fact that you cannot, unfortunately, discuss any Montblanc pens which have not been released officially yet, IOW, in this case any pens to be released this year.

All of these pens are still under a strict embargo, and we were asked nicely by Montblanc to hide the topics involved, which we did.
    As there are very many members involved in the discussion of these new pens, we have opted to announce this here, rather than contact everybody individually.

Please do refrain from discussing Montblanc pens which have not been released officially.
    We realized this is not easy, with the excitement mounting, but there is a very strict embargo on these releases.

Thank you very much in advance!

Warm regards, Wim
    On behalf of the admin and moderator team

P.S.:
    Thank you all for your support, it is much appreciated.
    If you need any further information or would like to comment, please do so backchannel, via PM or email.
    That is being said about a discussion from the articles released in Montblanc catalog that is available to the general public who walk into their store?

I find that amazingly strange.

Now it does not bother me if he wants to run it that way.... after all it is his site and his land, everyone else is pretty much a guest their. How he runs things within his Iron Curtain is his business and his right.

Still a weird thing to have happen though.

I am sure someone will eventually put the info on the web somewhere and it will be a simple Google search away. Maybe even a blogger will do it and we can see what happens. Will Montblanc contact them? Will they send a request or demand? Certainly would be an interesting situation and a sure way to find out what is actually going on... IF someone was that interested in the dynamics of things.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

Dreck (February 15th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (February 15th, 2016), Rossler (February 25th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by earthdawn View Post
    I don't get in the middle of debates like this but I have to say after reading this from Wimg
    Dearest people,

I would like to draw your attention to the fact that you cannot, unfortunately, discuss any Montblanc pens which have not been released officially yet, IOW, in this case any pens to be released this year.

All of these pens are still under a strict embargo, and we were asked nicely by Montblanc to hide the topics involved, which we did.
    As there are very many members involved in the discussion of these new pens, we have opted to announce this here, rather than contact everybody individually.

Please do refrain from discussing Montblanc pens which have not been released officially.
    We realized this is not easy, with the excitement mounting, but there is a very strict embargo on these releases.

Thank you very much in advance!

Warm regards, Wim
    On behalf of the admin and moderator team

P.S.:
    Thank you all for your support, it is much appreciated.
    If you need any further information or would like to comment, please do so backchannel, via PM or email.
    That is being said about a discussion from the articles released in Montblanc catalog that is available to the general public who walk into their store?

I find that amazingly strange.

Now it does not bother me if he wants to run it that way.... after all it is his site and his land, everyone else is pretty much a guest their. How he runs things within his Iron Curtain is his business and his right.

Still a weird thing to have happen though.

I am sure someone will eventually put the info on the web somewhere and it will be a simple Google search away. Maybe even a blogger will do it and we can see what happens. Will Montblanc contact them? Will they send a request or demand? Certainly would be an interesting situation and a sure way to find out what is actually going on... IF someone was that interested in the dynamics of things.
    My guess is that Montblanc really doesn't give a damn one way or the other. It is simply no big deal to them either. Now FPN does censor stuff and very often for reasons unknown to anyone but the censor. There was once a thread about one member who always bumps a brizillion of his pens for sale shoving everyone else out of sight. None of the pens ever seemed to get sold and I posted saying that perhaps it was the fact that that seller was asking absolutely obscene prices for his pens. My post was deleted, a message saying the tone had gotten nasty and the thread was closed.

That happens there. But we are talking about fountain pens and grand kids and what music we are listening to and what movie we last saw, not state secrets, not anything really important. To make such a big issue over something so trivial just seems absolutely mad. For us to get upset about the censorship seems even madder.

Remember what Alfred E. Neuman advised.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

FPN is big. With anything that big, there will be parts that you don't like.
    But more importantly, FPN is also a private forum with public accessibility -- meaning you have to register to be start posting.

When you contribute a post to a private forum, know that your contributions may be filtered by the owner of the forum. I thought this is common knowledge in this age of the internet.

DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with Mr. Wim, and I personally, so far, really can't muster an ounce of care about the MontBlanc brand.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    But more importantly, FPN is also a private forum with public accessibility -- meaning you have to register to be start posting.

When you contribute a post to a private forum, know that your contributions may be filtered by the owner of the forum. I thought this is common knowledge in this age of the internet.

DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with Mr. Wim, and I personally, so far, really can't muster an ounce of care about the MontBlanc brand.
    It is not... hence why so many get all worked up when someone edits or censors them lol.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (February 15th, 2016), penwash (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

can't muster an ounce of care about the MontBlanc brand.
    Montblanc inks are boss. High percentage of winning colors. Great bottle. Per ML not actually all that spendy and the inks are all trouble free. I never in my life worried about putting a MB ink in any pen.

Royal Blue is solid, Toffee Brown is great, Corn Poppy Red is fantastic...

etc. & co.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (February 15th, 2016), Patrick (February 17th, 2016), penwash (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

It's not what? Big? Not Private? Not censored?

huh?

Quote Originally Posted by earthdawn View Post

It is not... hence why so many get all worked up when someone edits or censors them lol.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

penwash (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

The whole statement but specifically to that point ^^^^^

"It is not... hence why so many get all worked up when someone edits or censors them lol."

Meaning I agree it is NOT common knowledge that people are on posting on private property as a guest... hence what you say and do can and will be dictated whenever the owner sees fit. As soon as they register many feel they own what they say there and have the "right" to say what, when and how they want. On any forum that is just not the case.
    Last edited by earthdawn; February 15th, 2016 at 07:45 AM.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to earthdawn For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (February 15th, 2016), penwash (February 15th, 2016), TSherbs (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

All clear. Thanks.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

earthdawn (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Both forums have their benefits and their drawbacks. I find the breadth and depth of information on FPN surpasses that on this one, but I look here primarily for pen sale opportunities. And a bit of entertainment now and then. In my opinion, this forum could use more moderation, but since I don't run it, I can't control that. But the owner(s) have every right to, here and over at FPN.

Thanks

Did I mention how much I hate the vibe over on the FPN? haha. H A T E

I vastly prefer the rough and tumble fpg to the fpn.

I just wish there was a bit more traffic over here.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    can't muster an ounce of care about the MontBlanc brand.
    Montblanc inks are boss. High percentage of winning colors. Great bottle. Per ML not actually all that spendy and the inks are all trouble free. I never in my life worried about putting a MB ink in any pen.

Royal Blue is solid, Toffee Brown is great, Corn Poppy Red is fantastic...

etc. & co.
    You got me there.
    I like MB Toffee Brown.
    And their bottle design is ... Sugoi!
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

31. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (February 15th, 2016)