Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: On the Subject of FPN, Censorship, and Community

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

Default On the Subject of FPN, Censorship, and Community

I will certainly reserve judgement until I read Part Two of the article, but this is some serious stuff:

The Craven Submission of the Fountain Pen Network
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (February 15th, 2016), Haefennasiel (February 19th, 2016), HughC (February 14th, 2016), Kaputnik (February 14th, 2016), Manny (March 7th, 2016), pengeezer (February 14th, 2016), ppmiranda (February 15th, 2016), reprieve (February 15th, 2016), TheInkluminati (February 14th, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: On the Subject of FPN, Censorship, and Community

Cough <Conway Stewart> cough

Doesn't surprise me but it is a very sad affair for both parties.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to carlc For This Useful Post:

Annie (February 18th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlc View Post
    Cough <Conway Stewart> cough

Doesn't surprise me but it is a very sad affair for both parties.
    I was going to add CS to my comment,but decided to hold off. Nevertheless,your addition fits.

John

Thanks

Huh. I don't go there, apart from rare forays when a search for information provides a hit. I read, close the tab, and end up back here with the same or more complete information than I got there. Heavy-handed mods with Chihuahua syndrome and axes to grind chased me away a couple years ago.
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreck For This Useful Post:

Robert (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Definitely serious....can't help but wonder what Wim is getting for complying with MB. Thinking out loud,but
    it's the most obvious point--I don't think he's doing it for nothing. I daresay that MB will provide a reply
    that isn't couched in smoke and mirrors.

John

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pengeezer View Post
    Definitely serious....can't help but wonder what Wim is getting for complying with MB. Thinking out loud,but
    it's the most obvious point--I don't think he's doing it for nothing. I daresay that MB will provide a reply

John
    Actually I suspect that the opposite is true in this case.

From the tone of things said in the FPN thread it looks like Wim is responding to pressure, not incentive.

The FPN relationship with manufacturers and retailers/service providers in terms of censorship of negative posts has always struck me as a disservice to the community because it isn't obvious to the reader. Thus as Dr Deans notes the average punter can not get a clear picture of a service provider (for instance) due to the rules on FPN.

Even if you are aware of the rules it is not possible to know if feedback is routinely positive due to a lack of negative experiences or a lack of negative feedback.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to carlc For This Useful Post:

Annie (February 18th, 2016), Dreck (February 15th, 2016), Jon Szanto (February 15th, 2016), oldstoat (February 17th, 2016), reprieve (February 15th, 2016), RNHC (March 11th, 2016), Rossler (February 25th, 2016), stub (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pengeezer View Post

John
    Actually I suspect that the opposite is true in this case.

From the tone of things said in the FPN thread it looks like Wim is responding to pressure, not incentive.

The FPN relationship with manufacturers and retailers/service providers in terms of censorship of negative posts has always struck me as a disservice to the community because it isn't obvious to the reader. Thus as Dr Deans notes the average punter can not get a clear picture of a service provider (for instance) due to the rules on FPN.

Even if you are aware of the rules it is not possible to know if feedback is routinely positive due to a lack of negative experiences or a lack of negative feedback.
    I would agree with you,but my thinking is this: If I were running a forum on fountain pens,why would I care what a
    major fountain pen company wants(especially when they already put out a brochure to some loyal forum members)
    unless I had a fiduciary relationship with them either in the form of payment or advertising? Wim isn't being nice to
    be nice.

John

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Blown totally out of proportion. MB has always tried to keep stuff secret and all FPN did was agree to not post material MB asked not to be posted. No force. No threats. Just polite requests.

Bunch of whiners getting their diapers in a wad.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

johniem (February 15th, 2016), Newjelan (February 16th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (February 15th, 2016), Sandy Fry (February 14th, 2016), TAYLORPUPPY (February 18th, 2016), TSherbs (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Blown totally out of proportion. MB has always tried to keep stuff secret and all FPN did was agree to not post material MB asked not to be posted. No force. No threats. Just polite requests.

Hey jar, you're mistaken. This is not about FPN agreeing not to post material, its about FPN deleting material which has already been posted -- effectively censoring the free and legal speech of its users. You might not think of that as much of an issue but obviously the community does: the blog post has more than 1500 views (in less than 24 hours) and it's already being discussed right across the community -- here, reddit, twitter, Facebook, Slack rooms, and at the LA show. If the mods hadn't shut down the post, it'd be discussion at FPN too. Just because you don't like the discussion doesn't mean the topic shouldn't be discussed.

Now, I always had the impression that Americans held the right to free speech as being sacrosanct. It's interesting to see an American -- a Texan, no less -- so untroubled by censorship. Then again, this is a Texan who quotes himself three times in his own signature and is perhaps more interested in his own speech than that of others.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jd16 View Post

Hey jar, you're mistaken. This is not about FPN agreeing not to post material, its about FPN deleting material which has already been posted -- effectively censoring the free and legal speech of its users. You might not think of that as much of an issue but obviously the community does: the blog post has more than 1500 views (in less than 24 hours) and it's already being discussed right across the community -- here, reddit, twitter, Facebook, Slack rooms, and at the LA show. If the mods hadn't shut down the post, it'd be discussion at FPN too. Just because you don't like the discussion doesn't mean the topic shouldn't be discussed.

Now, I always had the impression that Americans held the right to free speech as being sacrosanct. It's interesting to see an American -- a Texan, no less -- so untroubled by censorship. Then again, this is a Texan who quotes himself three times in his own signature and is perhaps more interested in his own speech than that of others.
    Sorry but it seems you have no idea of what the Right to Free Speech even entails.

Free speech does not mean anyone can say anything they want anywhere they want. But ignorance of that fact seems frighteningly common these days just as the other utter nonsense so often spouted on the web is common.

I have no issue with the decision at FPN nor with folk expressing their personal views, however ignorant and uninformed they might be in other venues. I support their right to say such stuff in venues where it is appropriate. But I also have the right to point out that it is whining over nothing.

That does not change the facts that it has been blown totally out of proportion and that folk are just whining infants with their diapers in a wad.

As to FPN deleting posts? Yup, happens, has happened in the past and likely will happen in the future. In fact some of my posts have been deleted over there.

But I understand that I do not have an unlimited Right to Free Speech in many venues. If I come to your house and say stuff you dislike I understand you have every right to toss my sorry ass out. On an internet forum my Right of Free Speech is limited to whatever extent the owners and administrators of the forum decide.

And that is how it should be. They should have the right to censure any speech that is on their site to any extent they wish.

16. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

alaskazimm (February 17th, 2016), DaveBj (February 17th, 2016), Dragonmaster Lou (February 15th, 2016), Haefennasiel (May 16th, 2016), opus7600 (March 7th, 2016), pajaro (February 27th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (February 15th, 2016), TAYLORPUPPY (February 18th, 2016), TSherbs (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Sorry but it seems you have no idea of what the Right to Free Speech even entails.

Free speech does not mean anyone can say anything they want anywhere they want. But ignorance of that fact seems frighteningly common these days just as the other utter nonsense so often spouted on the web is common.

I have no issue with the decision at FPN nor with folk expressing their personal views, however ignorant and uninformed they might be in other venues. I support their right to say such stuff in venues where it is appropriate. But I also have the right to point out that it is whining over nothing.

That does not change the facts that it has been blown totally out of proportion and that folk are just whining infants with their diapers in a wad.

As to FPN deleting posts? Yup, happens, has happened in the past and likely will happen in the future. In fact some of my posts have been deleted over there.

But I understand that I do not have an unlimited Right to Free Speech in many venues. If I come to your house and say stuff you dislike I understand you have every right to toss my sorry ass out. On an internet forum my Right of Free Speech is limited to whatever extent the owners and administrators of the forum decide.

And that is how it should be. They should have the right to censure any speech that is on their site to any extent they wish.
    FPN also deletes any mention of Pentrace (www.newpentrace.com), the oldest pen enthusiasts' website (est. in the year 2000) where Wim started writing and publishing his material. Pentrace is non-profit and frankly I don't see why any mention should be removed, given the fact that an FPN person who decides to visit Pentrace will still visit FPN! By the way, the two forums are completely different, one is not a copycat of the other...

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Giovanni Abrate For This Useful Post:

HughC (February 21st, 2016), Rossler (February 25th, 2016)

Thanks

You used fact and logic in your argument, and that's not fair.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    I've seen the same written in these threads of fpgeeks and how newcomers are treated here (and the general gassy-ness of stubborn cantankerous regulars).
    Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Have I been uncivil? Clearly, I have been "perceived" of not worthy of respect here. [snip] I have not meant to come off as strident, heated, or arrogant. I have no "passion" involved here in any way.
    I am more than willing to respect you, and your opinion, but I find that the first statement is not a good example of how you portray yourself in the second. If I should not have taken at least the slightest offense at your first statement, then I plead confusion.

I readily admit that, at times, my passions get the better of me. I am willing to bet that any reading of my postings from the last few years would show ample examples of apologies for when I've stepped over the line. The thing is: whether you think a subject is trivial or of great import, if it stokes my passion and evokes strong opinion, I simply don't feel any reason to keep that tamped down inside of me. In this regard I am very thankful for a forum that allows for adult communication in all it's incandescent glory, with the minuses as well as the pluses. I will respect you at your word that it is not your intent to insult the individuals of this forum, and hope that you will do likewise we me, and with others.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

21. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

checkrail (February 18th, 2016), HughC (February 18th, 2016), mhosea (February 19th, 2016), oldstoat (February 19th, 2016), pengeezer (February 18th, 2016), reprieve (February 19th, 2016)

Thanks

I have never been a member of a forum I disliked more and which was more unevenly and eccentrically moderated than the FPN.

Totally hamfisted moderation. Warnings and bans for seemingly no reason, but other blatant infractions just left to stand. I received a warning based on a wild insane reading of a thread, with sentiments attributed to me that I wasn't even close to saying or implying. Some of the mods there seem to have reading comprehension issues. Totally bonkers, arbitrary, plus the software is a disaster, slow loading, lots of down time, and the classifieds (the one reason to check that board daily) have been ruined for months on end by one user whose turned it into his own private store front.

However, this response is baffling to me. I am pretty sure the US constitution was not addressing privately owned and registered internet forums when talking about a free press. Most forums are moderated and awful moderation (an FPN specialty) is not censorship. A forum is more like private property where the owner gets to set the rules. I think you need to think about censorship and the US constitution and how that differs from an internet forum. This is a weird false equivalency that is trotted out over and over again. Wim is free to run the FPN as craptacularly as he wants. AND CONGRATS ON DOING A BANG UP JOB OF THAT. haha.

Edited to add: [Nevertheless, I largely agree with the posted article from peneconomics linked above]

Last edited by stub; February 14th, 2016 at 09:10 PM.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Dragonmaster Lou (February 15th, 2016), RNHC (March 11th, 2016)

Banned
    Thanks

Smile Re: On the Subject of FPN, Censorship, and Community

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    I have never been a member of a forum I disliked more and which was more unevenly and eccentrically moderated than the FPN.
    by censorship.
    Simple solution: have nothing to do with FPN. It is not clear that whining and ranting here serves any useful purpose

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Chazz For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
    It is not clear that whining and ranting here serves any useful purpose
    ... other than to have at least one place to discuss it without the comments vanishing. Whether it is whining and ranting may be a judgement call on the part of the reader.

~ Benjamin Franklin

27. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Dreck (February 15th, 2016), fountainpenkid (February 24th, 2016), Giovanni Abrate (February 16th, 2016), iosepus (March 8th, 2016), Marsilius (February 15th, 2016), oldstoat (February 17th, 2016), pengeezer (February 15th, 2016), reprieve (February 15th, 2016), RNHC (March 14th, 2016), Rossler (February 25th, 2016), stub (February 18th, 2016)

Thanks

Simple solution: have nothing to do with FPN.
    Thanks Captain Obvious but I wasn't asking you for a solution. I was making a statement. One amongst many.

It is not clear that whining and ranting here serves any useful purpose
    Not up to you to decide what is useful for me. This is a thread about the FPN. So I discussed the FPN and the issue at hand as was my want and prerogative. I am not looking to solve a problem (there is none) I am sharing my thoughts on my experience there. You don't have to like it, agree with it or respond.

I'll give you a further hint:

Quote Originally Posted by rafapa View Post
    For me the really worrying thing is that this thread could no be carried out at FPN.
    and then with that statement in mind maybe think about the membership here, who reads here and why any anyone would take the time to maybe type a few lined about the FPN.
    Last edited by stub; February 15th, 2016 at 09:42 PM.

Thanks

Hey jar, you're mistaken. [snip] Just because you don't like the discussion doesn't mean the topic shouldn't be discussed.
    I can already tell that my good friend Jar and I disagree on some of the main points in play, but nowhere in what he has said indicated that he doesn't like the discussion or that it shouldn't be discussed. You are making that up out of thin air. He may very well think all of this is lame, but I am certain he is behind everyone's right to discuss it.

~ Benjamin Franklin

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Haefennasiel (May 16th, 2016), HughC (February 14th, 2016), Marsilius (February 14th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (February 15th, 2016)

Banned
    Thanks

This is not about FPN agreeing not to post material, its about FPN deleting material which has already been posted -- effectively censoring the free and legal speech of its users .... Now, I always had the impression that Americans held the right to free speech as being sacrosanct
    Such attitudes reflect the sort of strange and shallow understanding that people have of any legal writes to free speech ... too much watching of movies and bad TV or something.

Let us be clear on this: no one has any right to post whatever they wish on FPN; anyone who does so does it at the discretion and pleasure of the forum owners, who are free to delete whatever they don't care for and for any reason.

If people have "issues" with FPN, then the best thing they can do is stop posting there or reading anything written there; go elsewhere instead.
    Last edited by Chazz; February 15th, 2016 at 05:58 PM.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chazz For This Useful Post:

brunico (February 15th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (February 16th, 2016), TSherbs (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

This is not about FPN agreeing not to post material, its about FPN deleting material which has already been posted -- effectively censoring the free and legal speech of its users .... Now, I always had the impression that Americans held the right to free speech as being sacrosanct
    Such attitudes reflect the sort of strange and shallow understanding that people have of any legal writes to free speech ... too much watching of movies and bad TV or something.

Let us be clear on this: no one has any right to post whatever they wish on FPN; anyone who does so does it at the discretion and pleasure of the forum owners, who are free to delete whatever they don't care for and for any reason.

If people have "issues" with FPN, then the best thing they can do is stop posting there or reading anything written there; go elsewhere instead.
    In essence what you say is correct, it's just not made clear to most users that commercial interests take precedence over pen related discussions.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HughC For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 15th, 2016), Marsilius (February 15th, 2016)