Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: On the Subject of FPN, Censorship, and Community

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default Re: On the Subject of FPN, Censorship, and Community

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    Did I mention how much I hate the vibe over on the FPN? haha. H A T E

I vastly prefer the rough and tumble fpg to the fpn.

I just wish there was a bit more traffic over here.
    There are parts of FPN that is cool, I participate in a thread that constantly exhibit nice pens that are in use. And it's fascinating to see the penmanship, camaraderie, and trolls seems to shun that thread because the participants are basically people deciding to be nice to everyone else. Trollism died horrible death there.

But I agree with you.
    FPGeek is like a little "quaint cottage" for me in the FP world. Love the conversation and people here.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

Crazyorange (February 15th, 2016), earthdawn (February 15th, 2016), Haefennasiel (May 16th, 2016), reprieve (February 15th, 2016), Rossler (February 25th, 2016), sweetnightingale (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Okay. Like i said really dislike the vibe and a lot about the way the place is run generally and how much of the moderated is carried out but to be fair: Not all the mods are boobs some do a very good job, which is no doubt occasionally difficult and irksome. The repair board is really helpful (moderated by an amazing human bean) and the calligraphy forum is often good as well. & there are some great people active over there (Saskia Madding, Amber, Firebug. etc. I could surely name more) but there is just too much heavy handed and arbitrary stuff that goes on there. I have had a couple very confusing run ins on the ink forum. Like where you get an email saying you are being warned for saying something you NOT AT ALL said and then with no warning have your whole thread pulled loosing valuable information you and others posted. Really bothersome and dispiriting. And that Claudio shit with the classifieds is a huge pain in the ass. I know he is operating under the rules but if he is operating under the rules and that many people are complaining about it you might want to change the rules. One person should not be allowed to ruin everyone's experience. I used to be a platinum member there (I donated) and I did a couple Pifs as well (including a brad new $75 pen). Now, I don't feel all that inclined.

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    Did I mention how much I hate the vibe over on the FPN? haha. H A T E

I vastly prefer the rough and tumble fpg to the fpn.

I just wish there was a bit more traffic over here.
    There are parts of FPN that is cool, I participate in a thread that constantly exhibit nice pens that are in use. And it's fascinating to see the penmanship, camaraderie, and trolls seems to shun that thread because the participants are basically people deciding to be nice to everyone else. Trollism died horrible death there.

But I agree with you.
    FPGeek is like a little "quaint cottage" for me in the FP world. Love the conversation and people here.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

I was unable to respond to a message due to a full inbox issue, and so I post this here as an open response.

Dear Dreck,

People experience a change in perspectives. I don't see any need to be an apologist for the fact that I have moved on in my life. However, I do take exception anytime someone tells me that I am somehow in error just because I don't agree with their side of the argument. Your 'conviction' statement is really quite dismissive. Perhaps you do not see that for a lot of people the issue on FPN over MB is really not worth getting that worked up about, and that their refusal to leave FPN has nothign to do with conviction. It's just a hobby, it's not going to shake the world.

It's funny. We, those of us on such forums, rarely get to really know each that well. I suspect most people on the forum think I am quite low level financially, socially and educationally (and indeed I am) and that I have little of interest or worth to add (which is likely true), and I have always thought of myself in such terms. And perhaps this is an accurate assessment.

I am more than happy to offer an apology to you if you took exception to what I said. I have always believed that courtesy was a two-way street. Perhaps I was wrong?

My best wishes to you, sincerely,

David

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Agree with you there Stub. Somewhere on the net someone will show the colors. I do agree FPN has lots of great information, and at the moment that's about it. The BST portion is just about a closed deal because of one individual and because of the advertising tiers. They've admitted it was a mistake. I've shown many there the path to here and they've sold their pens.

In regard to Mont Blanc situation I wonder if the whole thing is some kind of publicity stunt. For example. .. a brand releases something and tells a select group. The group then starts to get excited and talkative. .... but then the brand jumps in and cries foul, thus creating even more media than it had before. Jar and John are discussing censorship ... click bait for many, and what do we all find out .... Mont Blanc. The discussion is censorship but ... the root is Mont Blanc. Major electronic brands do this all the time and some lower tier cell phone manufacturers would kill for publicity lIke this. It's not far from that over used phrase "gone viral" Really what a great way to get people talking. So is the subject really about censorship ...or the ink of a pen brand. Yes Jon the discussion is censorship of a public forum, and I can agree with that. But the next thing I tried to do? Try to find the new MB colors.
    Last edited by Woody; February 15th, 2016 at 12:26 PM.

Thanks

For me the really worrying thing is that this thread could no be carried out at FPN.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rafapa For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 15th, 2016), reprieve (February 15th, 2016), Rossler (February 25th, 2016), stevekolt (February 15th, 2016), stub (February 15th, 2016), Woody (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    In regard to Mont Blanc situation I wonder if the whole thing is some kind of publicity stunt. For example. .. a brand releases something and tells a select group. The group then starts to get excited and talkative. .... but then the brand jumps in and cries foul, thus creating even more media than it had before. Jar and John are discussing censorship ... click bait for many, and what do we all find out .... Mont Blanc. The discussion is censorship but ... the root is Mont Blanc. Major electronic brands do this all the time and some lower tier cell phone manufacturers would kill for publicity lIke this. It's not far from that over used phrase "gone viral" Really what a great way to get people talking. So is the subject really about censorship ...or the ink of a pen brand. Yes Jon the discussion is censorship of a public forum, and I can agree with that. But the next thing I tried to do? Try to find the new MB colors.
    They got publicity, all right, but it's negative publicity. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt this will lead to better sales. It won't have any effect on my spending: I had no interest in buying a MB, I still have no interest in buying a MB, and I suspect that I will have no interest in buying a MB in the future. But if one of my favorite brands (Nakaya for instance) pulled this off, I'd think long and hard before buying a pen from that brand again.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Miss Fountain Pen For This Useful Post:

KKay (February 15th, 2016), Rossler (February 25th, 2016), sweetnightingale (February 15th, 2016), Woody (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

I can't afford a Mont Blanc pen. After reading this, I doubt even if I could own one, that I would want to buy one. I don't care for censorship like that. I may or may not buy their ink in the future. I am less likely to do so now. I don't think it helped them by doing this. I think it hurts them in the long run.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

KKay, I will likely try a couple of MB inks because they look so beautiful in some pictures, but I will wait until some current colors run out.

I care not at all about corporate issues or practices around what has been mentioned here, and I will likely--like yourself--never buy a MB pen because I don't foresee myself ever spending that kind of money on a pen from any manufacturer.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,716 Posts

I have nothing to add at this time apart from a portion of my siggy line....
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Some comments have been made about the amount of knowledge on FPN as compared to here. Overall I think there's a fairly good knowledge base here and in some areas exceeds that on FPN. No doubt FPN has some very strong contributors but it also has areas of weakness as does Geeks. It's a bit of "pot luck" really so the more places you ask questions the greater the chance of getting the right answer....along with a few wrong ones..

Regards
    Hugh

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

As tipped by my friend ethernautrix, there is now a thread where a party is asking FPN members to supply incriminating evidence against another party. The leap from "we don't name and shame" to "I would appreciate if you would rat on someone" is complete.

Here's the thread, for how long it lasts, I don't know. I screencapped my response as I imagine it will get purged. For context, here is the request from "LuxuryBrands":

As per the request of Mr. Tardif and with the approval of FPN, I would like to ask anyone on FPN please forward a copy of information to me, john@luxurybrandsusa.com, where you had contact with the “Chemyst” in the past where he/she posed as or give the impression that they were Nathan Tardif or represented Noodler’s Ink. We are gathering information to present to law enforcement which may be used to bring criminal charges/ action at a future date. I sincerely appreciate your help and assistance in the matter.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Giovanni Abrate (February 16th, 2016), reprieve (February 15th, 2016), Rossler (February 25th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Fry View Post
    Dunno what all the fuss is about. Comments were posted. MB asked politely for them to be taken down. FPN complied.
    Why should a business that has no connection to a site that I contribute to have a power over whether or not my contributions are summarily removed? Fuck Montblanc.
    Hi Jon,

"Has no connection" is hard to prove or disprove. I note my dear friend Wim is on good terms with Montblancs CEO and to me that indicates a significant relationship exists, the nature of that relationship could be from members of the same club right through to financial support of FPN. Again speculation leads me to the latter, money buys favours and it may well be the case this time. I think of FPN these days as a business running a forum as opposed to a forum for a hobby.

Regards
    Hugh

18. The Following User Says Thank You to HughC For This Useful Post:

pengeezer (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by HughC View Post
    "Has no connection" is hard to prove or disprove.
    Of course. Hugh. What I meant, and probably didn't say properly, is that there is no up-front, stated connection. If this were all to occur on a forum that was marketed as "FPN, with generous support from Montblanc", or "Montblanc Presents FPN", or even had specifically sponsored MB adverts in the MB sub-forum, it might at least give members an idea.

As it stands, this is a privately run forum that quite obviously will bow to the wishes of an organization it wishes to placate, and screw the members. I happen to think that is a lousy way to treat a community, but expected at this point in their history.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

HughC (February 15th, 2016), oldstoat (February 17th, 2016), pengeezer (February 15th, 2016), reprieve (February 15th, 2016), Rossler (February 25th, 2016), stevekolt (February 15th, 2016), View from the Loft (February 18th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

As tipped by my friend ethernautrix, there is now a thread where a party is asking FPN members to supply incriminating evidence against another party. The leap from "we don't name and shame" to "I would appreciate if you would rat on someone" is complete.

Here's the thread, for how long it lasts, I don't know. I screencapped my response as I imagine it will get purged. For context, here is the request from "LuxuryBrands":

As per the request of Mr. Tardif and with the approval of FPN, I would like to ask anyone on FPN please forward a copy of information to me, john@luxurybrandsusa.com, where you had contact with the “Chemyst” in the past where he/she posed as or give the impression that they were Nathan Tardif or represented Noodler’s Ink. We are gathering information to present to law enforcement which may be used to bring criminal charges/ action at a future date. I sincerely appreciate your help and assistance in the matter.
    I assume you've also seen this post, Jon? That this was posted in open forum disgusts me. Whatever the circumstances of the situation, what has become of 'innocent until proved guilty', never mind 'no naming & shaming'? This seems to be a case of "There's no doubting that he's guilty M'lud. But we're a bit short of evidence to prove it. I know, we'll crowd-source it"

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...les/?p=3555953

22. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Flounder (February 15th, 2016), Haefennasiel (May 16th, 2016), oldstoat (February 17th, 2016), reprieve (February 15th, 2016), Rossler (February 25th, 2016), View from the Loft (February 18th, 2016)

Thanks

lol...this has got to be a joke...how much damage could this guy have caused Noodlers ? Chances of actually being successful = 0 which means a threatening letter writing exercise. He's probably just a "nutter" anyway.
    Last edited by HughC; February 15th, 2016 at 02:35 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post
    I assume you've also seen this post, Jon?
    I had not. Thank you!

At the risk of being indelicate: FFS!

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

As it stands, this is a privately run forum that quite obviously will bow to the wishes of an organization it wishes to placate, and screw the members. I happen to think that is a lousy way to treat a community, but expected at this point in their history.
    I still do not see how any member got screwed.

Come on. Some posts got deleted. No one was threatened. No one was harmed. No ripples in spacetime were recorded. It's posts on a board devoted to a subject that will put 99.999% of the population to sleep and give a chuckle to almost all the rest.

Perspective.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (February 15th, 2016), TSherbs (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

I noticed that Noodler's legal-type thread too, reading with a good deal of puzzlement. Having read through the explanatory thread Migo has helpfully linked to above, I can only conclude that we're a right bunch of wierdos in this hobby.
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Flounder For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (February 15th, 2016)

Thanks

In reading the comments section of the cited blog, I noticed in the comments two misconceptions about FPGEEKS: First is the notion that FPGEEKS is no longer actively moderated, a point disproven today. Second is the notion that the website is down.

1. "From what I can tell, FPGeeks is no longer actively moderated, and Reddit has no rules."

"I'm not sure about FP Geeks (a sad loss to the community) but Reddit is more nuanced."

2. "Also, FPgeeks forum is still active. It's just the website that's down."

Rumors of our demise overstated?
    Last edited by Marsilius; February 15th, 2016 at 03:03 PM.
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

Overstated - yes. But I can't fail to have noticed the downturn in activity here. I do perceive a lack of involvement from the admin. Maybe that's a misperception.

Reddit, meh. I only recenty re-discovered my reddit password. I think I've posted in the fountain pen subreddit about twice. The format seems a bit too early-noughties to me, I don't like the presentation that much.
    Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : '70s Pilot Elite pocket pen review

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Flounder For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (February 15th, 2016)