Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do you tell a fpgeeks potential buyer they don't have enough cred ?

Thanks

Default Re: How do you tell a fpgeeks potential buyer they don't have enough cred ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookies View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post

I mailed a bottle of ink to the US from the UK. I used Royal Mail tracked and signed-for service which has adequate insurance and is supposed to take 5-6 days for delivery.

Within 48 hours it had made it from my local Post Office, across the pond and had arrived in LA. I was given USPS tracking saying 'passed through USPS facility' Ten days later, nothing else had happened. I was frustrated by the fact that USPS wouldn't let me email them because I didn't have a US address. So my buyer lodged an enquiry, that showed up on the tracking.

Nothing else happened, so I searched for and found the name of the CEO of USPS and sent an email. I received a reply from the advocates office the next day. That same day it moved from wherever it had been (US Customs I assume) and was sent to the area where it needed to be delivered. Then it was delivered the next day. 16 days after I had mailed it.

I'm happy to try to be patient, but only up to a point. It was only a bottle of ink, nothing earth shattering. Customs didn't need to delay it for so long.
    I am disgusted that you had to wait so long - And to be told you had to have a US address to even email them?? What century are they living in I wonder?
    Well, needless to say I am currently in the same boat. My package, if you believe the "tracking", has been in Los Angeles since Feb. 10th.
    I hope my case ends eventually like yours, and I at least get my package.
    As I am writing this, I have been on hold with USPS and after 43 minutes was told that "it's a waiting game and you just have to wait until customs releases it" and
    it could take up to 3 weeks.
    I spoke to a supervisor that, of course, told me the same thing. When I asked him for the number to contact Customs, he had to put me on hold 3 times to find it.
    Eventually, he said that they took their number down and only have a website! He said there is no way to call them - they ( understandably ) don't want to answer
    questions on locating packages.
    Ugghh. Can you say D-I-S-G-R-A-C-E-F-U-L? Or maybe, just Disfunctional...

Chrissy, I am trying to find that email address now...
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    When sending something from New Zealand - barring certain rare restrictions - the package has included insurance for full replacement value as long as that value does not exceed NZ $2000 (about US $1350). So, I could send a Nakaya (for example) to the US for about US $10 and still be fully insured!

I find it a bit strange that a small and insignificant country like this can apparently have a better postal service than a superpower, but there it is.

Oh, once I ordered a some books from the UK and Royal Mail delivered them to my door here in just 3 days! I think that may be a record.
    Disgusted? Really? For taking a little over a week to be processed? Around 40% of the world's total mail volume goes through USPS. Millions of parcels and letters are picked up, processed and/or delivered every single day. Mistakes are bound to happen overall. With that amount of volume, if all you're complaining about is packages occasionally taking a while to be processed or inspected they do pretty well.

Empty_of_Clouds - Royal Mail is oddly quick. I don't know why since it should theoretically take the same amount of processing time as every other international shipment. But it is consistently 1 week to my door step. Even packages from Canada take approximately 50% more and they're our neighbors. No idea why.
    Unfortunately, this isn't the case. If you noticed my first post, you would see that I am waiting for 3 other packages that have supposedly been delivered. I get nervous when I know that the tracking system is not accurate either. I am just happy that the packages do not contain medicine or anything else I might need to survive.
    I am glad you have had better luck recently than me though

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Default Re: How do you tell a fpgeeks potential buyer they don't have enough cred ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookies View Post

Empty_of_Clouds - Royal Mail is oddly quick. I don't know why since it should theoretically take the same amount of processing time as every other international shipment. But it is consistently 1 week to my door step. Even packages from Canada take approximately 50% more and they're our neighbors. No idea why.
    The best value-to-time service I've seen has been Japan Post EMS. For $12 I can get a pen shipped from Japan to my door within 3 to 4 business days.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KBeezie For This Useful Post:

Rossler (February 26th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lowks View Post
    As my question suggests, is there a way to tell off the potential buyer (hopefully not a scammer) that he appears to not enough cred and I don't trust him?
    So, did you tell him?

Thanks

All posts prove that "Word of Mouth" goes a long way....
    (Generally just as/more important than ratings/feedback/etc...)

Allow me to turn the tables...
    There is also concern about dealers who are not well known. Let's take "yours truly" as an example-

I was informed recently by someone that I was not among the "reputable dealers" because I had just started my "store".
    Long forgotten were the years Frank/"FrankieX" sold vintage pens on forums (Frank's BOGO/etc..).
    Because I had stayed away for nearly a year "Building" my retail venture, these bits of good business became forgotten.

The point is- Reputations need to be built, re-built, and built-on constantly.
    Feedback scores and post count only go so far to tell you about someone's character as both a buyer- and a seller.

Regards,
    Frank
    "When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

Owner-
    http://federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)
    (5% Discount for FPG Members! Use Code "FPG" at checkout!)

Follow store/forum at
    Linked-In!
    Like Us on
    Facebook !

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frank For This Useful Post:

penwash (February 23rd, 2016), Rossler (February 26th, 2016), top pen (February 27th, 2016)

Thanks

I agree with your view of Japan EMS.
    If only "customs" would get out of the way, the inks I have been ordering from Japan could arrive at my doorstep in less than a week after ordering/paying.
    Will continue to give them my business.

Thanks

Doesn't PayPal offer an escrow setup? That may be one way of dealing with the problem, especially for an expensive pen.

Thanks

If someone pays through paypal, where is the risk? They could open a case and say they didn't get the item, and there's a hassle.

If you are selling, make the rules. Who cares that everyone has to start someplace? The seller and buyer have to decide on their own risk tolerance.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lowks View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dmendel View Post
    Just to get back to the OP's question: It seems to me the bigger risk is as a buyer, not a seller. I would be much more reluctant to BUY a pen from someone who has little presence or is brand new, than I would be selling to such a person. As others have said, if you follow PayPal's guidelines for Seller Protection (tracked, delivery confirmation, ship to PayPal address) you are fine. ..."
    On that note, there is a user who wants to trade for an Edison #76
    I agree with dmendel's point and feel much less worried about selling to new members.

I would quite readily buy from a reputable member with frequent and recent contributions to the forum (and always track the package).

On the other hand, I would only accept or initiate a trade if I actually know the other person well, or he/she is a very respected member of this community and I can be reasonably sure that their account hasn't been hacked into.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu