Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need a pen recommendation!

Thanks

Default Re: I need a pen recommendation!

The Nemosine Singularity is a good little pen, comes in many finishes and a variety of nib sizes. They're cheap and come with a converter. I think xfountainpens offers free shipping in the US. My second choice would be the Metro with a medium nib. In both cases, you can choose different colors to match the personalities of the recipients.
    My experience with the Jinhao X450/750 models have been so-so. I like them at first, then tend to find them a little too bulky and heavy and finally the plastic inner cap ends up cracking and they find their way to the "some rainy day I'm going to tinker with these" drawer.

Thanks

You might want to check out any pen that would be considered a "school pen" = tough and reliable. How about Kaweco Classic Sport?? You can get it in a broad nib or whatever each one would like. They also come in different colors to suit all five people, including a demonstrator/clear. If they can't find Kaweco cartridges, the pen takes standard international ( short ) ones too.
    Good luck with everything and Take Care of yourself.

Thanks

Pilot metro at the very low end, montreverde or faber Castel for a little more money

Thanks

Mmmmm.... so many awesome suggestions! This is what I've decided:

I'm having surgery on the 25th, but we just found out that my fiance's licensing in California will take some time to process, so we've got a bit of time until we move. I'll just be giving them the pens after my sick leave, because it sounds like I'll be back long enough to give at least a 2-week notice that I'm leaving. This gives me some more time!

I'm going to pick up a jinhao x750 to test it out for myself. I'm also going to buy another pilot metro, it sounds like it really deserves a closer look that I had time to give it before my "faithful" dog got hold of it I write fiction as a hobby, and I draft on paper before typing it up on my laptop, and it's about all I'll be able to do while I'm recovering (other than to simply lie in bed zonked out on pain meds, haha), so these pens will be put through the ringer! If the jinhao is as good as the reviews I've seen, I'll buy five of those for my friends, if not, it will be the pilot metro, as I think the pattern and color variations will be a hit.

I hope I'm not being too cheap...but you know, I'm saving for a wedding at the same time, so I really can't go with something like a faber castell. I wish I could, but I can't justify something like that to my fiance, who has cut her "fun money" budget to the bone for this wedding for the past year (we are trying to save up to pay for most of it in cash...there has never been a marriage in my family that started off on a pile of debt that had a happy ending, PLUS she wants babies...lol). Lamy safaris would fit within my budget and be great, but I don't think that design would be a big hit, as my pens are borrowed often (people like to bring them to court and depositions for notes) and my Lamy Al-Star sits lonely and unborrowed in my desk drawer.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedHen View Post

I'm having surgery on the 25th, but we just found out that my fiance's licensing in California will take some time to process, so we've got a bit of time until we move. I'll just be giving them the pens after my sick leave, because it sounds like I'll be back long enough to give at least a 2-week notice that I'm leaving. This gives me some more time!

I'm going to pick up a jinhao x750 to test it out for myself. I'm also going to buy another pilot metro, it sounds like it really deserves a closer look that I had time to give it before my "faithful" dog got hold of it I write fiction as a hobby, and I draft on paper before typing it up on my laptop, and it's about all I'll be able to do while I'm recovering (other than to simply lie in bed zonked out on pain meds, haha), so these pens will be put through the ringer! If the jinhao is as good as the reviews I've seen, I'll buy five of those for my friends, if not, it will be the pilot metro, as I think the pattern and color variations will be a hit.

I hope I'm not being too cheap...but you know, I'm saving for a wedding at the same time, so I really can't go with something like a faber castell. I wish I could, but I can't justify something like that to my fiance, who has cut her "fun money" budget to the bone for this wedding for the past year (we are trying to save up to pay for most of it in cash...there has never been a marriage in my family that started off on a pile of debt that had a happy ending, PLUS she wants babies...lol). Lamy safaris would fit within my budget and be great, but I don't think that design would be a big hit, as my pens are borrowed often (people like to bring them to court and depositions for notes) and my Lamy Al-Star sits lonely and unborrowed in my desk drawer.
    You are not being cheap no worries

I also am a student of the Neal Gaiman school of fiction drafting in long hand with a fountain pen
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

LittleRedHen (February 20th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedHen View Post

Okay, if you are going to go with the Jinhao X750 may I suggest this seller from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/251062542906...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    No affiliation, just a past happy customer. I still use this pen and love it.
    ( Now the disclaimer: I Have read of people saying that the finish on the X750, in time, can wear. I haven't experienced it and probably wouldn't care, but some might )

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Anne For This Useful Post:

LittleRedHen (February 20th, 2016)

Thanks

I ended up going with pilot metros for everyone, plus a few packs of cartridges. The jinhao I tried out was decent, but started to crack soon after using it. I hope they like them, I'm still putting together the gifts in little gift wrapped baskets...my fiancé decided to take the job, but her licensing is taking some time to process, so I plan on keeping the baskets in my car until I give my two weeks notice Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleRedHen For This Useful Post:

KKay (March 6th, 2016)

Thanks

Good choice. Nice pen.
    I know what you mean when you have to get several pens. The $$ starts to add up fast to $$$.

Where in Calif are you headed?
    If Northern Calif, there is the SF Pen Posse which meets in Millbrae (on the SF peninsula).
    San Francisco Pen Show 2017, August 25-27, 2017, Redwood City, California
    www.SFPenShow.com