Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a pen recommendation!

Thanks

Default I need a pen recommendation!

So, I may be leaving a job I absolutely love in order to move to California, where my fiance just got the job of her dreams (plus they pay moving costs, you get a housing stipend, and the salary is about four times what she is making now). We are still weighing pros and cons, as our families are in MI and she has some relatives whose health is declining. However, even if we do decide against California, I'm having some surgery soon and will be taking a leave of absence.

There are some coworkers that I've really grown fond of, and I would like to leave them each a fountain pen as a gift when I move or take my medical leave, whichever ends up happening first. My coworkers really like my pens, and I'm kind of known around the office as "the pen person". Also, it's kind of traditional for lawyers to get a really nice pen when they pass the bar, but no one gives us paralegals anything! I feel like that should change

I need a recommendation from all of you for a make and model of fountain pen that would serve as a nice gift. Here are my criteria, in order of importance:

-It needs to be a good beginner pen that writes well out of the box. These people have never had their own fountain pens, and I'd hate to give them a bad experience. I'm thinking many of them would like broad nibbed pens, as my broad nib TWSBI seems to be a favorite for "borrowing".

-It needs to be cheap. I will be buying five of these! I know a fountain pen isn't supposed to be a "cheap" gift, but I'd love to not spend a fortune, y'know?

-Refills must be cheap and easy to find...I'm willing to provide a box of cartridges so that they can use their gifts right away, but after that they are on their own. I use ink bottles, but I really doubt any of them will put up with the mess of bottled ink. It would be awesome if they could find cartridges at Staples or OfficeMax or something.

-It should look really cool on their desk, if they decide they don't like fountain pens and just want to keep it as a memento of all the craziness I brought to the office

Thanks everyone! I'm really looking forward to your suggestions!

Thanks

Default Re: I need a pen recommendation!

I am guessing Pilot Metro are not nice enough and Kara Kustoms Fountain K are too pricey

If it was just one person I would vote an Edison Production pen or Pilot Vanishing point but at $150 that is not affordable for that many
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    Forgive any ignorance on my part.
    Any stupidity is my brain not being malleable enough to understand
    ===
    Open to anyone writing me. Will do my best to reply quickly
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (February 19th, 2016)

Thanks

Could you buy them notebooks instead of a pen? The trouble I find is that without spending more then about £20 I can't think of many fountain pens that really fit the needs.

Thanks

Pilot Prera?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Kaputnik (February 19th, 2016), KKay (February 19th, 2016)

Thanks

I am guessing Pilot Metro are not nice enough
    Actually, they would be perfect in terms of "looks" and fit nicely within my budget...these are not fountain pen people, I really just want to get them something simple and fun. The only trouble is, my experience with Pilot Metro is limited...I owned one, a medium nib, for only a very short time until my dog buried it in our backyard somewhere. I do remember it being a little scratchy, but maybe I just got a bad one? Would a broad nib Metro be better?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedHen View Post
    Would a broad nib Metro be better?
    It would be.

If they made them

</sad_trombones>

Thanks

Personally if lamy safar is in the budget I think that would be a great beginner pen for all of them. They do take cartridges and have good nib options.
    I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Thanks

I started with a Pilot Prera F nib. It was 33 bucks with free shipping over 35 dollars. I bought a pack of cartridges, and I was good to go. The pen wrote great right out of the box. No troubles whatsoever.

Thanks

Don't know if this helps but this is an idea get a Janghio and replace it with a Goulet Nibs broad
    GouletScreenShot.png
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    ===
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

Pukka-J (April 15th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

I would recommend the Pilot Metro Retropop with an M Nib. You could throw in a box of Pilot cartridges (so they would see what they look like if they want to order them from Amazon). And if you buy multiple boxes of the cartridges, you can mix and match them so people have a couple of black ones, a couple of blue ones, and a couple of purple ones.

You could either let them pick their own colors or you could pick the colors to match the personality of the person. Plus they all come in nice boxes with a cartridge.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

distracted_mom (February 19th, 2016), zygote (February 20th, 2016)

Thanks

It would be.

If they made them

</sad_trombones>
    AHHHHH STILL? Those have been out for awhile, you'd think they'd have released a broad nib...I'm so sad, because I love all the colors.

I would recommend the Pilot Metro Retropop with an M Nib. You could throw in a box of Pilot cartridges (so they would see what they look like if they want to order them from Amazon). And if you buy multiple boxes of the cartridges, you can mix and match them so people have a couple of black ones, a couple of blue ones, and a couple of purple ones.

You could either let them pick their own colors or you could pick the colors to match the personality of the person. Plus they all come in nice boxes with a cartridge.
    That's a really good idea...I know one of my coworkers for sure would absolutely love the retropop, because she's got a big personality. Anyone have experience with the Retropop? I'm assuming it's very similar to the pilot metro.

EDIT: I've also been looking at a few Jinhao broad nibs... A lot of Jinhao models are cheap, almost too cheap to the point I'd feel guilty...but I know that the broad nibs are the ones that people ask to borrow in the office. Anyone have experience with this brand?
    Last edited by LittleRedHen; February 19th, 2016 at 10:46 AM.

Thanks

Look on ebay for group lots of Jinhaos. Sometimes they sell pretty low. You may want to do some QC on them though, and make sure you flush them through and do a little trial writing before you give them away. Sometimes there's a bad apple.

I don't think the broad nibs are really worth paying up for with Jinhao. Pilot 78Gs, on the other hand, have fantastic broad nibs and stubs; if you trawl international ebay you can get a multipack, say three for thirty bucks or so via Hong Kong. Pilot make good robust pens, and these aren't blingy, in other words are conservative pens if your co-workers want to use them in the office. The downside is they only take Pilot cartridges not international.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

xFountainpens would sell you a fistful of Jinhao (or bulows, same thing) for $45 or so, but I don't see those pens on their site anymore.

there are some cheap pens at fountainpenrevolution.com but don't go too cheap.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Buy five Jinhao X450 or X750.
    These will look cool in law firms.

Test *each one of them* to make sure the write well, and at the same time write a personal note to the recipient of the pen.
    Then give it to them as parting gifts.

It's not expensive, and they will remember you, and Good luck with your move (and surgery).
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Terie_Benjamin For This Useful Post:

amk (February 20th, 2016)

Thanks

From goulet

Thanks

I like my Metro and Vista (Safari demonstrator) but both have proprietary cartridges. That may be a consideration if you want people to walk into a store and come out with a cartridge that works.

I have had good luck with Chinese pen nibs, but others have not. You might consider at least an ink dip test before gifting a pen to a novice. I prefer Baoer (388 or 3018) over the Jinhao pens (159, 450) which are too big and clunky for my tastes.

You might consider the Nemosine Singularity. I have one with a 0.6 stub nib that I like. For $15 you could give the Singularity with a 0.8 stub nib, which would give a bit of interest to the pen.

Thanks

Nice thoughtful idea! Metro and a notebook.
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedHen View Post

AHHHHH STILL? Those have been out for awhile, you'd think they'd have released a broad nib...I'm so sad, because I love all the colors.

That's a really good idea...I know one of my coworkers for sure would absolutely love the retropop, because she's got a big personality. Anyone have experience with the Retropop? I'm assuming it's very similar to the pilot metro.

EDIT: I've also been looking at a few Jinhao broad nibs... A lot of Jinhao models are cheap, almost too cheap to the point I'd feel guilty...but I know that the broad nibs are the ones that people ask to borrow in the office. Anyone have experience with this brand?
    I don't trust their broad nibs which is why I showed the Goulet nib
    Tom
    @silverbreeze
    ---
    ===
    ====
    Tomasz S Suchecki
    77 Meadowpark Ave North
    Stamford CT 06905-2221
    United States of America

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (February 19th, 2016)

Thanks

How about a TWSBI Eco or the Lamy Al-star/Vista. They might like the demonstrators and the non-cartridge pens too (ie: twsbi).

Personally, I would probably get my coworkers a Retro 51 rollerball. They're inexpensive, great writers, and come in a variety of options. It's a great way to make each gift personal.

If you stick with fountain pens, I think EF or F would work better for noobs using lousy office paper. Less ink usage, less bleeding / feathering, more akin to writing with a "normal" pen, etc.