Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Omas

Banned
    Thanks

Default Re: RIP Omas

Quote Originally Posted by tandaina View Post
    So were they manufacturing in China?? I assumed due to the prices that they were making the pens in Italy!
    Don't take much of what you read here seriously; it appears to be a pit of ignorance. FYI, OMAS was sold to the Chinese, but all its design, manufacturing, etc. have always been in Italy.

Thanks

This is hard to take. There are way too few quality pen companies that create works of art by hand anymore.

I own several Omas writing instruments. They have all just become more precious to me.

RIP Omas! We will still enjoy your efforts for generations to come!

Thanks

I guess it was inevitable trying to survive in an industry such as pen making. I seem to have noticed that the Omas pens being produced were getting more and more expensive. As for people like me living in a country with depreciating currency and limited disposable cash the celluloid pens were out of my reach.

I only have one Omas in my hoard and that is the Emotica, a solidly built pen with a fantastic nib and ebonite feed.
    Sad to see them go

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by picautomaton View Post
    I guess it was inevitable trying to survive in an industry such as pen making. I seem to have noticed that the Omas pens being produced were getting more and more expensive. As for people like me living in a country with depreciating currency and limited disposable cash the celluloid pens were out of my reach.

I only have one Omas in my hoard and that is the Emotica, a solidly built pen with a fantastic nib and ebonite feed.
    Sad to see them go
    One thing to remember is that most of their profits was apparently out of China, and they lost it after a corruption crackdown, (so either putting all their eggs into one basket, or they weren't doing that well globally for a while, that was their major profit), which course lead to the voluntary liquidation, since I'm guessing sales from other areas were not as strong as what they were getting from China.

So I wouldn't equate that struggle with every other pen maker.

It probably hits hardest to the Omas employees that's been with the company since before the ownership changes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 809 Posts

I'm sorry to say I do not have a single Omas pen. But reading this thread has made me click my way over to Goulet's to buy a couple of Omas inks. I believe that in a few months these inks will become hard to find. Those bottles look really cool!

Senior Member Waski_the_Squirrel's Avatar
    Thanks

I own an Omas ink bottle. (Nice bottle, meh ink.) I've wanted to try an Omas Ogiva. When I heard the news, I got very close to buying one, but then I remembered that "wanted to try" is not the same as "would really like to own."

So maybe I'm part of why Omas is in its current condition. But, they need to do something to convince me to buy one of their pens.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Waski_the_Squirrel For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (February 24th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by picautomaton View Post

Sad to see them go
    My sentiments exactly. My heart wanted to help them but my pockets disagreed.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Very nice pens and ones I have loved over the decades.

Thanks

The Chinese never can run an old brand fountain pen company. They buy Omas because of wanna turn the corruption legalized.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Waski_the_Squirrel View Post
    I own an Omas ink bottle. (Nice bottle, meh ink.) I've wanted to try an Omas Ogiva. When I heard the news, I got very close to buying one, but then I remembered that "wanted to try" is not the same as "would really like to own."

So maybe I'm part of why Omas is in its current condition. But, they need to do something to convince me to buy one of their pens.
    well-put

I share the sentiments.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Waski_the_Squirrel View Post

You should try the Omas which produed before 2000 or the vintage Omas . They are worthy to own.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fqgouvea View Post
    I am also sad and annoyed at the news. There was this dream of visiting Bologna and buying one on site...

I guess I need to save up and try to get one while I still can!

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com
    Did they have something on site in Bologna despite not being Italian since 2000?
    Chinese owned, all manufacturing was still in Italy.