Thread: Pelikan M200 + Pilot Custom Heritage 92 love child (looking for a recommendation)

Thanks

Default Pelikan M200 + Pilot Custom Heritage 92 love child (looking for a recommendation)

Hi I'm looking for a recommendation. I love the writing experience of my Pelikan M200 Café Crème - Fine Nib. Nice and wet and the feel is just right when writing. Except for the section. It is too close to the threads. This is often my EDC.

The other pen that I really like (and is also often my EDC) is a Pilot Custom Heritage 92 - Fine Medium nib. Now this pen feels absolutely great in my hand; I think the section is the right length. But it writes a bit dry for me. And sometimes "cleaning OCD" comes out in full force since its an orange transparent barrel.

On both I like the decent ink capacity of the piston (and I can push the ink out if I really have to boost flow - more often in the CH 92). The Pelikan Café Crème is absolutely the most elegant looking pen I have.

I'm a writer (and lawyer by day) so a decent ink capacity is good to have. I lean towards permanent and iron gall inks so I like the pens leaning towards a wet flow. My hands are not particularly large so a big pen is not necessary. But the section should have a good length. I have a death grip so the threads are a bit annoying on the M200.

My understanding is that the section length is not much different from the M200 to that on the other Pelikan models (which surprised me), otherwise it would be a no-brainer. Others have I lighten my grip, which isn't going to happen... I'll get a pen to fit me, not the other way around.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Default Re: Pelikan M200 + Pilot Custom Heritage 92 love child (looking for a recommendation)

Another pelikan! Go for an m600! This would be a great pen for you.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Pelikan M200 + Pilot Custom Heritage 92 love child (looking for a recommendation)

Have you looked at the Platinum Burgoyne or any of the Platinum 3776 pens? The M nibs on these can be quite satisfying to write with (though they are cartridge converters).

If you aren't afraid of the TWSBI 580, you might also look at that pen.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Mister5 (February 22nd, 2016)

Thanks

Maybe Pilot Custom 823? I've never tried that pen myself, but it has a very good reputation. Its section is a bit longer than the M200's, and the ink capacity is even larger (the 823 is a vac/plunger filler). US sellers sell it for $288. You can get it a bit cheaper if you order straight from Japan. However, if you order from someone like John Mottishaw of nibs.com, you can request that the nib be tuned the way you like. Also, nibs.com has a nifty pen measurements page so you can see how the pen (or any number of other pens) compares to the M200 and the Custom 92.

Lady Onogaro recommended Platinum 3776, but keep in mind that Platinum uses proprietary cartridges and converters. My 3776 with a soft fine nib is one of my most used pens (and that's saying something, as I have quite a few pens...), but I do find the ink capacity of the converter to be rather small, so that's something to keep in mind.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miss Fountain Pen For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (February 22nd, 2016), Mister5 (February 22nd, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeminarianMike View Post
    I've heard the section has the same length as that on the M200 and I'd end up hitting the threads again - otherwise I'd definitely go for another Pelikan.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mister5 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SeminarianMike View Post
    I've heard the section has the same length as that on the M200 and I'd end up hitting the threads again - otherwise I'd definitely go for another Pelikan.
    Yup. I just compared the M200 and the M600 using Goulet's Pen Plaza. It seems that the M600 has a teeny tiny bit longer section, but I doubt that one would notice...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Fountain Pen For This Useful Post:

Mister5 (February 22nd, 2016)

Thanks

I've been considering the Lamy 2000. How wet is that? I've heard of the infamous sweet spot on that. I have a Parker 51 which writes extremely well and (which might be the Lamy 2000's long lost cousin) but have that problem with rotating the nib.

Thanks

I've been considering the Lamy 2000. How wet is that? I've heard of the infamous sweet spot on that. I have a Parker 51 which writes extremely well and (which might be the Lamy 2000's long lost cousin) but have that problem with rotating the nib.
    I have the Lamy 2000, but I hardly ever use it. I have an issue that's kind of the opposite of yours: I tend to hold my pens very low on the section, and so with the 2000, I end up holding the pen where it's very narrow and therefore (for me) uncomfortable. I don't really have issues with the sweet spot, but then again, I don't tend to rotate the nib very much. As for wetness: I guess it's wet enough. Not a gusher, but not dry (I have an EF nib).

Thanks

All-in-all, the Lamy 2000 is a much better pen than the M200/M400 and M600 series IMO - I have/had several specimens of either pens and Pelikan nibs seem to widely vary in quality. The Lamy 2000, by comparison (currently 4 in my daily rotation), is very consistent, but for many, the unique nib grind and grip section can cause problems with nib rotation - hence the 'temperamental nib' myth. I suggest trying one, if at all possible, and find out if you two are a good match. The L2k nibs are usually moderately wet, but well regulated and extremely smooth. BTW, you can train yourself quite easily to not rotate the pen, once you have become aware of the problem. You will sometimes read snap reviews stating that a Lamy 2000 felt at first rather scratchy, but then turned out to be a very smooth writer. It is my theory that that's probably because the user subconsciously adjusted his/her grip. My first L2k felt dry and scratchy, but then I readjusted my pen hold and it apparently became smoother - all subsequent L2k's felt smooth out of the box, most likely because I had learned and no longer needed to modify my pen hold. On the other hand, if the threading on a Peli bothers you, so may the little cap retention 'ears' on the L2k... good luck!
    Another thought: how about a Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Marietta? In eyedropper mode, mine holds over 3 ml and is a phenomenal writer, and it has no threads, ears or other obstacles to your grip.
    Last edited by inklord; February 22nd, 2016 at 02:53 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to inklord For This Useful Post:

Mister5 (February 23rd, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    Another thought: how about a Franklin-Christoph Model 20 Marietta? In eyedropper mode, mine holds over 3 ml and is a phenomenal writer, and it has no threads, ears or other obstacles to your grip.
    That might be a good choice. I have a FC Model 02 and I think the nib units from that would fit. Not quite as wet as I'd like though, but the 02 is a good writer overall. FC also picked up some brownie points for refunding my Philly Pen Show ticket when we got that horrible blizzard & very good customer service from when I purchased the 02.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

For the Pilot, you can try to increase ink flow by gently pressing on both tines with your thumbs. I want to emphasize "gently."

Another way is to remove the nib and use an Xacto knife to slowly and carefully deepen the main feed channel. I learned the latter method from a video Shawn Newton made a couple of years ago.

These methods worked for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    That might be a good choice. I have a FC Model 02 and I think the nib units from that would fit. Not quite as wet as I'd like though, but the 02 is a good writer overall. FC also picked up some brownie points for refunding my Philly Pen Show ticket when we got that horrible blizzard & very good customer service from when I purchased the 02.
    For a wetter nib you might want to try one of their 18/14k units. Also you can tell them that you would like to have your nib adjusted to be a gusher...