Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ink Review: KWZ Honey

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

Default Re: Ink Review: KWZ Honey

I have a hard time removing the smell from their iron gall inks. I stopped using them in my Lamy 2000, because the smell would linger. I am not trying to diss the brand. I really like Konrad and I want to come back to his inks after he works out some of the kinks (bad smell).

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KKay View Post
    No, the Grapefruit smell isn't Grapefruit. The smell is sort of strange, I cannot describe it correctly. It definitely isn't a fruit like smell. It is more of a chemical type, but not bad to me.
    After I saw this post, I went to go get the Honey sample I have. (it came from a friend) It had a very similar smell to the Grapefruit ink, but not as strong. Maybe somebody else can describe the smell a little better. Like I said, I don't mind the smell at all.

Quote Originally Posted by EHV View Post
    Grapefruit, (or honey) wouldn't be so bad but the biocide, chemical scent if off-putting. I also tend to shy away from the scented inks even though they may smell good......or at least, better than biocide.

Quote Originally Posted by KKay View Post
    I don't know about the Honey (although I do have a sample), but the Grapefruit smell is coming out of my converter. You can smell it when you take the barrel off the pen. It is kinda stout, but I don't mind it. The barrel is on most of the time anyway. I'd rather have it a little powerful, than moldy.

Quote Originally Posted by EHV View Post
    I wanted to revisit this review to ask a question if I may. I have a bottle of KWZ Honey from just prior to the reformulation and the smell is absolutely overwhelming. As I understand it, this is from the biocide(s) used in the formula.
    The reformulated version is not supposed to have this strong smell.

My question is; has anyone had an issue with the smell remaining in their pen or converter after finishing the fill or changing ink colors?
    I'm actually hesitant to use the ink for fear of never getting rid of the biocide smell.

Thank you!

Eric
    Honestly, I smell vinegar. Or something similar to it. I assumed it was an acid in the ink.
    "Love is the final fight."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dfo For This Useful Post:

EHV (April 3rd, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

It smells like stale root beer to me. I really like the shade of golden brown that KWZ Honey offers. I have been into a brown ink kick the past couple of years.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Well I just went back and smelled the KWZ inks again. The Grapefruit has a stronger odor than the Honey. (but the Honey is just a small sample now) The two smell similar, but not exactly the same. I also smelled the Green Gold, and Maroon. I think maybe I'm smelling the dye too. I actually preferred the smell of the Honey and Grapefruit. Some days I notice it more than other days. The Honey and Grapefruit has a familiar odor to it, but I can't name it. Maybe KrazyIvan is right. I actually am starting to like the Grapefruit ink smell. Maybe it is because I LOVE that ink...lol. I like it with an extra fine or fine western pen though. It starts out more orange, and darkens to a more reddish orange when it is drying. I did like the Honey ink a lot, but I have to limit my ink purchases. I had a very big sample from a local friend. Honey is her favorite ink.

Thanks

My sample of Honey smells of vanilla and something g else. I have had it for almost 10 month so I believe it was before it was reformulated. Inks that smell of fungicides don't really bother me. I notice them but that's it. I am also used to working with chemicals, stains and various biocides/fungicides. I have used Honey several times since receiving the sample and I have never noticed any lingering scent in my converters.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by laurielindly View Post
    My sample of Honey smells of vanilla and something g else. I have had it for almost 10 month so I believe it was before it was reformulated. Inks that smell of fungicides don't really bother me. I notice them but that's it. I am also used to working with chemicals, stains and various biocides/fungicides. I have used Honey several times since receiving the sample and I have never noticed any lingering scent in my converters.
    In danger of this sounding like a contest, I've had my bottle for a little over a year. I'm pretty sure I got one of the last because the turquoise sample I ordered with it did smell like vanilla. Konrad made a post about it....at some point. The old formula kwz inks had a pretty distinct smell to them. Never thought it was bad, but definitely something different.