Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FPGeeks Give Away #8

gillyohan

My favorite is a western medium with a backside that writes a Japanese extra fine. Steel (unplated) is my preference, though gold is fine as long as it is hard. I don't really care for soft nibs, because I start to put down more pressure when I write fast.

Thanks

You know I actually used to like broad nibs because the wrote so smooth and mostly wet, but the more i write and write the more i like a fine to medium size nib that writes still a little more wet. I have found the small, finer, less sloppy like nib is where my LOVE is right now. and GOLD NIBS are the only way to go!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gillyohan View Post
    My favorite is a western medium with a backside that writes a Japanese extra fine. Steel (unplated) is my preference, though gold is fine as long as it is hard. I don't really care for soft nibs, because I start to put down more pressure when I write fast.
    Can you give me an example of what a nib like this would write like and maybe a pic of the pen with such nib. You make it sound AWESOME!

inkcoffee

My favorite nib size is a Japanese EF, Sailor's. I like my nibs to be 14K gold. My everyday pen however is a Japanese steel M nibbed pen.

Thanks

I like Fine (as in a true fine from Sailor) for general writing e.g. notes, journal etc. I prefer a wet Medium for writing letters and doodling sometimes. I like writing with stubs from time to time but only for taking notes and making lists from time to time.

I don't care much about material. As it turns out the pen I have used most in the last month is a cheap Dollar Demonstrator (that you can actually get for about a Dollar here in Dubai!!). I do like pens with some weight to them and love using my Sterling Silver Marlen but only for short notes and/or journal entries. I recently played a bit with a Silver Sailor 1911 with a Medium nib that I liked - so I guess 'metal' of some sort would be my favorite material.

Thanks

Nib size-preference depends on the task at hand. I like Medium/Broad if I want to see an ink's shading qualities. For menial work-related writing, a Fine or Medium work equally well for me.
    Material-wise....I find pleasure in steel and gold equally as long as it's smooth. My Esterbrook steel nibs are just as buttery as my Bexley and Parker gold nibs. Good to have nib-meisters to correct imperfections or make transformations.

Liking that Demi....I have a blue diamond vac in that color...mmmm

Thanks

Being very new to FPs, I have one pen (but two more are on the way!), it's a Parker 51. I like a fine line, so that's the size nib I got. I don't yet have a metal preference for the nib.

Thanks

My favourite nib size at the moment is XF, and I tend to use vintage pens as I find the nibs finer - but recently I am starting to lean toward Japanese nibs and have started with an unidentified 60's Pilot, and a '79 Long MYU (which I can't seem to put down). When I want some variation I have a couple of XF Pendleton Point nibs/pens.

My favourite writing nib though is the Titanium nib on my Omas Emotica - the fine is a bit broader than I prefer, but it's such a great nib to write with. Otherwise I don't find a huge difference between most steel and gold nibs, unless they're semi-flex. The new Visconti nibs are interesting... but I find they are fairly broad to size, and very wet writers - so no HS until I can swap nibs with an older style (well, I also need to win the lottery as well, but....)

SProctor

I guess that it depends on what I am trying to do also. If it is something business-like I usually use a conservative fine or an extra-fine nib. If I am trying to be creative or really focus on my handwriting, I often use a nib that is either flexible or cursive italic.

In my opinion: Concerning nib material, at least for me, I have practically no preference... though I have yet to find a really good flexible nib that is super smooth and made from steel. Otherwise, I have a few 21kt & 18kt nibs and several 14kt ones that are about the same in smoothness and writing characteristics as some that I have that are made of steel. I guess it really depends on the nib, the attention to detail, and quality control that their maker builds into them... if that makes any sense. There are high quality steel nibs that do well and low quality 21kt gold ones that don't... of course there are many the other way around too. YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary).

Bourgeoisie

I prefer fine nibs made of steel. I prefer steel because A) they are cheaper and B) they are easier to work with. I have had more problems trying to smooth my 14k L2K nib than any other steel nib.

Thanks

M stub gold

pwyll

I prefer fine nibs as I have to do a lot of writing in very small spaces--and my handwriting tends to shorten and elongate when I write quickly so mediums (or larger) tend to turn into illegible wavy lines. So far I have liked 12/14k nibs better than 18k or steel--but my recent foray into Esterbrooks has suggested it has more to do with the design and quality of manufacture than the material itself.

That being said, my absolute favorite nib at the moment is a Pilot VP medium that I ground down to a CI/stub--buttery smooth in any direction but with a very distinct delineation between thick and thin line. It has made me wonder if a stub/italic would be my preference as it is my first non-monoline nib.

Scott

LAVA

I prefer a fine/medium nib.....I find the fines to be too thin, and sometimes the mediums are too wet....both my current p51 demis are said to be fine/mediums and are absolutely perfect in my opinion. For the bodies I prefer lucite, plastic, celluloid.......call it what you will. its refreshing to hold a metal body every so often, but for an everyday pen I prefer a heaftier lucite/celluloid/plastic.

Kooky Chick

I've started to broaden my horizons a bit with italic and flex nibs, but my preferred good ol' standby is a custom-ground XXF gold nib, tipped with iridium. I love the near-hairlines it produces, yet I can still write quickly with it! XXF nibs are great for making notes in the margins of articles or books (with the right fast-drying ink, of course! ).

ekc113

I like an enthusiastic fine (in a Pelikan, for example), and I've had better luck with 14k nibs than anything else.

Thanks

I originally thought that I preferred a Medium width nib, but find myself favoring a Fine more often now for regular writing. If I had really developed my handwriting skills, I might be more interested in flex, and width, or even an Italic nib. I have a couple of pens with old 14K flex nibs in a fairly Fine width, and I like those very much. I find modern steel nibs, especially those from the Orient, to be a bit too stiff for me.

John

AkshayKatira

I have used fountain pens for over a decade but I recently started collecting them. I own a Pilot M90 <M> and I absolutely love it and it's my favourite writer. I also own a Waterman Graduate <F>, which comes close second and a Parker Esprit <M>, which is a close third. I do not own any gold nibbed pens so I can't say much about them. So, my preferred nib size is Japanese MF or M and preferred material Steel.

Thanks

Default Parker 51 Reply

For most uses I prefer F/EF, but I do have a broad cursive italic/stub nib that I absolutely love. For the nib material, I love my vintage pens with flexible gold nibs, but for my modern pens the best writers are all steel.

Thanks

I tend to prefer Fine or Extra Fine nibs for notetaking, margin notes, making lists and such. I prefer wider nibs, stubs or italics, for journaling, planning, & letter writing. I like steel and gold nibs equally -- it just depends on the feel of the individual nib itself. My favorite nib right now is the Fine Palladium nib on my Visconti Wall Street LE.

OrchidUnicorn

Wow! So many fans of fine nibs. I feel like I must be missing something. I am so middle of the road I tend to like medium nibs. That said I have been experimenting on both "wild sides" with some fine nibs and some broad, stub and even an italic nib! Now I think I like which ever nib best suits the task or my mood at the time, but I still tend to be a medium sort of gal! As for material, I have had good and bad luck with just about every material a nib can be made out of, but the majority of the good have come from my gold nibs.

Lashelle