Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FPGeeks Give Away #8

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Default FPGeeks Give Away #8

To continue with the tradition of our weekly give away (how long can we keep this up?) we are going to give away a Dove Gray Parker 51 Demi with a fine nib. This pen has been restored by yours truly so you know it’s good to go. The diaphragm has been replaced, it’s been thoroughly cleaned inside and out and polished to mirror-like shine. All you have to do win this pen is tell us what nib size and material you prefer. Since we were a little tardy in getting this one up we’ll extend the deadline for entry (and stick by it this time). You’ll have until Monday, May 10th at 11:59PM CST.

twigee89

I have just recently added a medium nib to my collection of all fine nibs, and while i find it quite pleasurable, i am not sure i like it. However, i do say that it has grown on me. Most of my fine nibs are of a lower quality and I cant wait to try a nicer one. as far as materials go, i have used nothing but steel so far

3. The Following User Says Thank You to twigee89 For This Useful Post:

Miss Thundercat (February 28th, 2014)

mwengerd

I dig a fine iridium nib with ample flex. That or an xxb (straight or oblique).

Thanks

I don't know that I have a favorite nib size, but I find myself going to finer nibs most often. I don't usually have a preference between gold or steel nibs either, other than for appearance (e.g. if the pen's furniture is gold, the nib had better be gold, or at least gold-plated). I will, however, say my two favorite nibs happen to be steel, with a gold shorthand nib following very close behind.

ldb2000

I like the smoothness of the mediums but prefer a finer line . Luckily my Parker 50 has a medium nib that writes a little on the fine side of medium . Since the 50 is steel I guess that means that's what I like .

Thanks

Hmmm. I have some gold nibs -- 14kt, 18kt. And I have an Esterbrook with a couple of steel nibs. The writing qualities don't seem related to the nib material, as the Estie's Medium (9668) nib is terrific, as are the gold nibs. And as for favorite nib size, well, it depends on what I am writing! But if I have to choose, I will go with Medium, as it is a good all-rounder: fine enough for filling in forms, wide and wet enough (typically) for taking quick notes and such.

phdezra

Nice giveaway, again!

I'm fond of 18kt gold nibs, Fine to Medium nib as I find it can vary by manufacturer.

dazygrl02

I like fine nibs and cannot say that I have a favorite material yet.

Ted H

Broad CI, gold. Also like just plain mediums for most things, gold or steel.

Bucolic Buffalo

I like a stub or Italic. I write with anything. But really prefer the look that stub gives my handwriting. I think those are around .8 - 1.1mm, maybe as wide as 1.5mm. Perfer gold to steel. But when it's smooth, who notices the metal.
    Last edited by Bucolic Buffalo; May 10th, 2010 at 01:53 PM.

penspouse

A fine very smooth fine gold nib on a "51" Demi is my favorite nib.

nrepose

I love fine nibs but I am beginning to get more comfortable with medium nibs and italics. I don't really care what it is made out of as long as it writes well. Nr

JohnCruzNg

I enjoy the <F> on Pilot pens and the <XF> on the other side of the nib. The nib probably writes .4mm wide and .3mm-.2mm on the reverse and I love it. I prefer gold or rhodium nibs over any alloy or steel nib.

bardolator

So far, I only have medium nibs, but I'm on the lookout for a fine.

I prefer the slight springiness of gold (though my Lamy Al-Star is currently my daily writer; I don't worry about dropping it in my purse when I'm in a hurry (maybe you could give away a pen case next (or suggest one?)?)).

Thrage1

My first pen was steel nib said m but write like a fine, kind of a fine medium. It still is one of my favorite. The namiki vp I like in a fine and it is 18 kt gold and this is my second favorite. Recently I have started dabbiling with flex pens and most of them are 14 kt so I got to say that my favorite pen nib is 14 kt gold super flex xf

Thanks

Lately I'm leaning toward finer lines, like a true fine or even thinner. Having said that, I have only one pen that's a real medium, a Varuna Rajan ED pen with a JoWo steel nib. That one is very smooth. My favorite of late is a new Lamy 2000 EF, which as everyone knows writes broader than most other EFs but I'm really enjoying it nonetheless.

brubj7a0

Definitely a fan of fine points and I really like Japanese fine points. My Vanishing Point fine is the smoothest nib I've used. I know it is a gold nib and I think it's a 14k but I'm not too sure.

GreenVelvet

Nib size... if only it were standardized! One manufacturer's F is another's XF...

My favorite is an Esterbrook 9048. That's at the moment. I tend to F or XF. As for material, it really depends - like some gold, some steel.

AWESOME giveaway!!!

Thanks

Default Nib Size

My preference tends to fluctuate depending on the task, but I am partial to finer nibs. I enjoy using Japanese Fine/ Fine-Medium nibs. The material does not really matter much as long as it writes well, but my favorite nib is made with 14kt gold.

Thanks

My preferred nib size is Fine, or Extra Fine. I lean toward the Asian Fine. My preferred material is ebonite, as I really like the way it feels in my hand. That being said, my current favorite carry pens are a 1946 Vacumatic, and a 1930's Dufold Junior. The nibs on both are F heading to EF, but neither is ebonite.

Donnie