Thread: 50s Montblanc 144, 254 and 264

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default 50s Montblanc 144, 254 and 264

In this thread I reviewed a 146 from the 50's and in this thread I looked at a 264 from the 50's so now I'd like to look at the 144 and 254 from the same era.

At that time the 144 sold for about $10.75, the 254 sold for $6.75 and the 264 was a bargain at just $5.95. They were all about the same length and width, about the same size as a modern Pelikan 200 or 400.

The 144 had the traditional two narrow cap bands surrounding a wide central band but the 2xx series pens had a different arrangement of two bands, instead of the two narrow bands found on the 24x pens they had a narrow band above a wider band that extended down to the cap lip.

The 144 had a traditional open two tone 14C nib with the concave section, screw on cap and a striped ink view window.

The 254 though was a complete departure from the traditional Montblanc screw cap/open nib design. It maintained the cigar shape and the white snow cap but became a slip on cap and a new wing nib.

The new wing nib though is one of the most enjoyable of all my Montblancs to write with, lushly wet, very controllable with a small amount of flex. But it looked "different" and was not immediately accepted and had a fairly short life. The caps also are very subject to cracks and so it's fortunate to find one that is in perfect shape.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Jeph (May 13th, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Nice write up. That wing nib does look awesome! I wish some company made nibs with cool shapes today...(bock has taken over (though they really haven't because if I remember correctly they've been providing lots of nibs to lots of makes for a while..)).
    The Aurora Kona is probably the only other pen I can think of that has a truly unique and beautiful nib shape. Designed by a famous designer--go figures!
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.