Thread: My first Lamy(s): Al-star Coffee and Champagne/Pearl! - and a question...

Thanks

Smile My first Lamy(s): Al-star Coffee and Champagne/Pearl! - and a question...

Hi everybody

After reading a lot in this forum over the last week, I decided to buy a Lamy Al-star. I prefer the metalic colors to the Safari colors, but was not sure which one to get.

So picture my surprise when the I went to my local shop among the standard colors the also had a Coffee and Pearl/Champagne version!!!

So of course I ended up getting both of them. I just had to.
    Good thing I read about the Al-star in this forum before buying one, I would not have known about the special editions otherwise!

LAMY_Al-star.jpg

So now my question: what ink would you recommend to go with the coffee one? I'd like to match the colors, and if possible would prefer a waterproof ink....

Thanks,
    Amira

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: My first Lamy(s): Al-star Coffee and Champagne/Pearl! - and a question...

Lucky you! Those are beautiful colors.

I would recommend Private Reserve Chocolat for the brown one, or perhaps Montblanc Toffee Brown. Both are nice brown inks (the Chocolat will be darker than the Toffee Brown).
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Default Re: My first Lamy(s): Al-star Coffee and Champagne/Pearl! - and a question...

Thanks, Lady Onogaro - do you know if they are waterproof? I'd like to be aple to sketch with them and add a light wash with out the ink dissolving into puddles...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Amira View Post
    Thanks, Lady Onogaro - do you know if they are waterproof? I'd like to be aple to sketch with them and add a light wash with out the ink dissolving into puddles...
    I don't think they are waterproof. FPN is a good place for ink reviews. You can search for them there to see what tests people have done on them. Or ask Chrissy--if she's tested them, she would know. Migo also is a good source of ink information. Or take a look at our own Ink Reviews forum.

I just noticed this thread, too, which lists some brown inks:

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread....ntain-Pen-Inks
    Last edited by Lady Onogaro; February 27th, 2016 at 10:42 AM.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

I want the coffee color so bad!!!

Could you tell me where you get this?

Thanks

Perhaps the new J Herbin ink would be a good choice:

http://www.gouletpens.com/j.-herbin-...-ink/p/H150-45

Thanks

Lovely pens! Congrats.
    When I first started using FPs a few months back, I gravitated towards the older designs. Still like them, by the way.
    But I looked at the Safari/Vista/Alstar, and the design was so different that they kind of turned me off. Then I found a Charcoal Grey Safari at a local thrift store, for cheap. I love that pen! It writes smoothly, fits my hand well, and is just a pleasure to use. And it looks very much better holding it in my hand.
    Now, when I see a Lamy, I start breathing heavy,

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fountain Pen Mike For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (August 29th, 2016), timbre70 (September 24th, 2016)