Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 62

Thread: Why we need a strong government to check capitalism.

  1. #21
    Senior Member jar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Posts
    3,408
    Thanks
    286
    Thanked 3,185 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Why we need a strong government to check capitalism.

    Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
    I am sorry to disagree with my friend, SIR, but the problem with direct democracy is the underlying assumption that a hundred idiots can make a better decision than one genius.
    By whose standards do you judge them idiots and what is the cause of them being idiots?
    Just because we don't understand them does not mean they do not understand us... or that they are less intelligent, but mental aptitude is only inherent to a certain extent, a lot is the result of nurture and methods of teaching; further, economic and other issues extrinsic to education, learning, and social integration play a very large part in shaping mental development. Freud is renowned for overlooking environmental influences in the analysis of psychology and mental development.
    We need to get away from the idea of 'original sin'; investment in a persons development is multifaceted - differences in spiritual, emotional, psychological, intellectual, and sociological factors should not preclude an individual's involvement in communal politics.
    Original sin does not enter into it but education does.

    I cannot address the education in other nations but in general in the US it is abysmal.

    We do not teach what is needed to be an informed citizen.

    We do not teach How to think; the processes required to think.

    We do not teach actual history but rather myth.

    We do not teach critical thinking.

    We do not teach personal responsibility.

    The average natural born American could not begin to qualify for citizenship compared to those immigrants that do try to become citizens.

    This thread is a great example. Much of what has been touched on is simply not known by the average US voter.
    My Sister's Website: Rose Hill Studios
    My Website


  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

    JFB (October 1st, 2017), Marsilius (February 17th, 2017)

  3. #22
    Senior Member SIR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    GB
    Posts
    1,566
    Thanks
    655
    Thanked 659 Times in 423 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Why we need a strong government to check capitalism.

    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
    I am sorry to disagree with my friend, SIR, but the problem with direct democracy is the underlying assumption that a hundred idiots can make a better decision than one genius.
    By whose standards do you judge them idiots and what is the cause of them being idiots?
    Just because we don't understand them does not mean they do not understand us... or that they are less intelligent, but mental aptitude is only inherent to a certain extent, a lot is the result of nurture and methods of teaching; further, economic and other issues extrinsic to education, learning, and social integration play a very large part in shaping mental development. Freud is renowned for overlooking environmental influences in the analysis of psychology and mental development.
    We need to get away from the idea of 'original sin'; investment in a persons development is multifaceted - differences in spiritual, emotional, psychological, intellectual, and sociological factors should not preclude an individual's involvement in communal politics.
    Original sin does not enter into it but education does.

    I cannot address the education in other nations but in general in the US it is abysmal.

    We do not teach what is needed to be an informed citizen.

    We do not teach How to think; the processes required to think.

    We do not teach actual history but rather myth.

    We do not teach critical thinking.

    We do not teach personal responsibility.

    The average natural born American could not begin to qualify for citizenship compared to those immigrants that do try to become citizens.

    This thread is a great example. Much of what has been touched on is simply not known by the average US voter.
    It would appear that we are very much in agreement Jar; the two areas of human 'knowledge' which we, in the UK, most neglect to teach children in our national curriculum are law (including principles, history, development, and current areas in need of reform) and psychology (I don't think I need to emphasise the advantage even a basic understanding of human psychology would give children) - as you say a lot of what we do teach is largely unimportant or downright irrelevant, and the standard of teaching and pastoral care of children is very low.

  4. #23
    Senior Member jar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Posts
    3,408
    Thanks
    286
    Thanked 3,185 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Why we need a strong government to check capitalism.

    Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    It would appear that we are very much in agreement Jar; the two areas of human 'knowledge' which we, in the UK, most neglect to teach children in our national curriculum are law (including principles, history, development, and current areas in need of reform) and psychology (I don't think I need to emphasise the advantage even a basic understanding of human psychology would give children) - as you say a lot of what we do teach is largely unimportant or downright irrelevant, and the standard of teaching and pastoral care of children is very low.
    In the US the goal of education has changed from creating an informed citizenry to vocational ed; job training. The result may be great for business but does little for governance.

    AbE:

    One book I often recommend as a starting place to learning how to think is a slim volume (No, not 1066 and All That but that would also do) called Language in Thought and Action by S. I. Hyakawa.
    Last edited by jar; March 20th, 2016 at 09:15 AM.
    My Sister's Website: Rose Hill Studios
    My Website


  5. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

    Marsilius (February 17th, 2017)

  6. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    124
    Thanks
    101
    Thanked 48 Times in 27 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Why we need a strong government to check capitalism.

    Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    By whose standards do you judge them idiots and what is the cause of them being idiots?
    Just because we don't understand them does not mean they do not understand us... or that they are less intelligent, but mental aptitude is only inherent to a certain extent, a lot is the result of nurture and methods of teaching; further, economic and other issues extrinsic to education, learning, and social integration play a very large part in shaping mental development. Freud is renowned for overlooking environmental influences in the analysis of psychology and mental development.
    We need to get away from the idea of 'original sin'; investment in a persons development is multifaceted - differences in spiritual, emotional, psychological, intellectual, and sociological factors should not preclude an individual's involvement in communal politics.
    Idiots as in those who are unwilling or unable to make informed decision due to lack of mental capacity, ignorance or sheer apathy. I don't know about UK but in the US, the level of indifference to civic responsibility is staggering. Even the ones who are willing to do their duties lack the education and knowledge to smartly carry out their responsibility. IMHO, the educational curriculum in the US has changed from nurturing the very best to catering to the lowest common denominator. It's amazing how little people know about their governmental structure. It's true that overwhelming majority of Americans will fail the citizenship test. As my middle school civic teacher (an extinct breed since I don't believe civic classes are taught anymore) has said, citizenship is a privilege. Unfortunately, most of us hasn't earned the privilege.

  7. #25
    Senior Member SIR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    GB
    Posts
    1,566
    Thanks
    655
    Thanked 659 Times in 423 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Why we need a strong government to check capitalism.

    Universal suffrage means universal suffrage; it is not for one or another to decide who or who is not capable of contributing to decision making, therefore, representative democracy is a fallacy, an oxymoron, and an insult.

  8. #26
    Senior Member jar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Posts
    3,408
    Thanks
    286
    Thanked 3,185 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Why we need a strong government to check capitalism.

    Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Universal suffrage means universal suffrage; it is not for one or another to decide who or who is not capable of contributing to decision making, therefore, representative democracy is a fallacy, an oxymoron, and an insult.
    So you assert. But what evidence is there that that is the case or that universal suffrage is desirable or that unchecked democracy is something worth having?

    And what does that have to do with the topic?
    My Sister's Website: Rose Hill Studios
    My Website


  9. #27
    Senior Member SIR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    GB
    Posts
    1,566
    Thanks
    655
    Thanked 659 Times in 423 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Why we need a strong government to check capitalism.

    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Universal suffrage means universal suffrage; it is not for one or another to decide who or who is not capable of contributing to decision making, therefore, representative democracy is a fallacy, an oxymoron, and an insult.
    So you assert. But what evidence is there that that is the case or that universal suffrage is desirable or that unchecked democracy is something worth having?

    And what does that have to do with the topic?
    You assert a more influential government is a better thing, but history endlessly demonstrates that all government passes thru tyranny to eventual final ruin - build on unsound foundations and failure is your only fate, you will reap what you sow; therefore, control and you will be controlled, deceive and you will be deceived - he who has no theory will find revelation.

    Your suggestion is simply backward, one might even say 'retarded'.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

    pengeezer (April 2nd, 2016)

  11. #28
    Senior Member SIR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    GB
    Posts
    1,566
    Thanks
    655
    Thanked 659 Times in 423 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Why we need a strong government to check capitalism.

    Quote Originally Posted by jar
    We need a 900 pound gorilla to act as a check against rampant capitalism.
    I recall comments of yours in another thread suggesting to the effect that if one is not happy with the way things are done in a certain place then one should not dalliance with complaining but should simply find somewhere else to express one's self; perhaps Saudi Arabia would be more to your liking?

    Back to your original point regarding mill coins, I agree we should beware of becoming slaves of capital, but you should remember how the army and the police have been oft well utilised in the histories of many first world states in the disruption of labour solidarity and industrial action.


  12. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

    pengeezer (April 2nd, 2016)

  13. #29
    Senior Member jar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Posts
    3,408
    Thanks
    286
    Thanked 3,185 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Why we need a strong government to check capitalism.

    Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Universal suffrage means universal suffrage; it is not for one or another to decide who or who is not capable of contributing to decision making, therefore, representative democracy is a fallacy, an oxymoron, and an insult.
    So you assert. But what evidence is there that that is the case or that universal suffrage is desirable or that unchecked democracy is something worth having?

    And what does that have to do with the topic?
    You assert a more influential government is a better thing, but history endlessly demonstrates that all government passes thru tyranny to eventual final ruin - build on unsound foundations and failure is your only fate, you will reap what you sow; therefore, control and you will be controlled, deceive and you will be deceived - he who has no theory will find revelation.

    Your suggestion is simply backward, one might even say 'retarded'.
    I'm sorry but that is just word salad and bumper sticker illiteracy.

    I recall comments of yours in another thread suggesting to the effect that if one is not happy with the way things are done in a certain place then one should not dalliance with complaining but should simply find somewhere else to express one's self; perhaps Saudi Arabia would be more to your liking?

    Back to your original point regarding mill coins, I agree we should beware of becoming slaves of capital, but you should remember how the army and the police have been oft well utilised in the histories of many first world states in the disruption of labour solidarity and industrial action.
    Again, what does that have to do with the topic?

    Is there any reason to think that a government with universal suffrage would be any different than any other form of government?

    The US today has about as close to universal suffrage as maybe anywhere except perhaps Russia during the Soviets; there was real universal suffrage there. Almost all decisions were made by the local soviets and national soviets. Companies were run by corporate soviets where all the workers got together and decided corporate goals and policies.

    Universal suffrage is no panacea or assurance of anything.

    Armies and police have certainly disrupted labor even here in the US and in fact, if you listen to some of the rhetoric in the current madness here you can see calls for just such behavior by government.

    Remember, in the US there is very nearly universal suffrage. And in the US today there is strong voter support for a Fascist candidate who constantly lies and points to achievements or tyrants and quotes their works. Il Donald may well get elected by the US Universal Suffrage.

    Perhaps a better solution than universal suffrage might be universal education in how to think, how to use the techniques of critical analysis, evidence based decision making, accurate history (this thread is even an attempt at that) so that voters can make reasonable and rational choices on how their government should behave.

    But before that could happen in the US (and I don't try to change any other nations government of choice) we need to make a few other changes.

    We need to add a restriction on suffrage so the corporations are not given suffrage.

    We need a National Education Policy.

    We need to re-institute the Chinese Wall between News and Editorial and between News/Editorial and Advertising.

    I understand that you are a well meaning chuunibyou but your posts show that you really need to learn how to think. May I suggest as a first small step a slim volume called Language in Thought and Action by S.I. Hayakawa and then a snother short read, The Authoritarians by Robert Altemeyer and avoid the fantasies by Ayn Rand.
    My Sister's Website: Rose Hill Studios
    My Website


  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

    ethernautrix (April 14th, 2016), Flounder (April 2nd, 2016)

  15. #30
    Senior Member SIR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    GB
    Posts
    1,566
    Thanks
    655
    Thanked 659 Times in 423 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Why we need a strong government to check capitalism.

    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Universal suffrage means universal suffrage; it is not for one or another to decide who or who is not capable of contributing to decision making, therefore, representative democracy is a fallacy, an oxymoron, and an insult.
    So you assert. But what evidence is there that that is the case or that universal suffrage is desirable or that unchecked democracy is something worth having?

    And what does that have to do with the topic?
    You assert a more influential government is a better thing, but history endlessly demonstrates that all government passes thru tyranny to eventual final ruin - build on unsound foundations and failure is your only fate, you will reap what you sow; therefore, control and you will be controlled, deceive and you will be deceived - he who has no theory will find revelation.

    Your suggestion is simply backward, one might even say 'retarded'.
    I'm sorry but that is just word salad and bumper sticker illiteracy.

    I recall comments of yours in another thread suggesting to the effect that if one is not happy with the way things are done in a certain place then one should not dalliance with complaining but should simply find somewhere else to express one's self; perhaps Saudi Arabia would be more to your liking?

    Back to your original point regarding mill coins, I agree we should beware of becoming slaves of capital, but you should remember how the army and the police have been oft well utilised in the histories of many first world states in the disruption of labour solidarity and industrial action.
    Again, what does that have to do with the topic?

    Is there any reason to think that a government with universal suffrage would be any different than any other form of government?

    The US today has about as close to universal suffrage as maybe anywhere except perhaps Russia during the Soviets; there was real universal suffrage there. Almost all decisions were made by the local soviets and national soviets. Companies were run by corporate soviets where all the workers got together and decided corporate goals and policies.

    Universal suffrage is no panacea or assurance of anything.

    Armies and police have certainly disrupted labor even here in the US and in fact, if you listen to some of the rhetoric in the current madness here you can see calls for just such behavior by government.

    Remember, in the US there is very nearly universal suffrage. And in the US today there is strong voter support for a Fascist candidate who constantly lies and points to achievements or tyrants and quotes their works. Il Donald may well get elected by the US Universal Suffrage.

    Perhaps a better solution than universal suffrage might be universal education in how to think, how to use the techniques of critical analysis, evidence based decision making, accurate history (this thread is even an attempt at that) so that voters can make reasonable and rational choices on how their government should behave.

    But before that could happen in the US (and I don't try to change any other nations government of choice) we need to make a few other changes.

    We need to add a restriction on suffrage so the corporations are not given suffrage.

    We need a National Education Policy.

    We need to re-institute the Chinese Wall between News and Editorial and between News/Editorial and Advertising.

    I understand that you are a well meaning chuunibyou but your posts show that you really need to learn how to think. May I suggest as a first small step a slim volume called Language in Thought and Action by S.I. Hayakawa and then a snother short read, The Authoritarians by Robert Altemeyer and avoid the fantasies by Ayn Rand.
    You can want a lessening of your own rights all you like, but I'm glad those who are your betters have already made provision for that not to happen to the rest of us.
    You can still have yourself committed or sectioned, don't worry we'll take care of you.
    Until then, keep up the good work, there's a good chap.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

    Dreck (February 10th, 2017)

  17. #31
    Senior Member jar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Posts
    3,408
    Thanks
    286
    Thanked 3,185 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Why we need a strong government to check capitalism.

    Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post

    You can want a lessening of your own rights all you like, but I'm glad those who are your betters have already made provision for that not to happen to the rest of us.
    You can still have yourself committed or sectioned, don't worry we'll take care of you.
    Until then, keep up the good work, there's a good chap.
    Again, what does anything in your post have to do with anything I have said in this or any thread on this forum?

    Is it possible English is not your first language?
    My Sister's Website: Rose Hill Studios
    My Website


  18. #32
    Senior Member SIR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    GB
    Posts
    1,566
    Thanks
    655
    Thanked 659 Times in 423 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Why we need a strong government to check capitalism.

    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post

    You can want a lessening of your own rights all you like, but I'm glad those who are your betters have already made provision for that not to happen to the rest of us.
    You can still have yourself committed or sectioned, don't worry we'll take care of you.
    Until then, keep up the good work, there's a good chap.
    Again, what does anything in your post have to do with anything I have said in this or any thread on this forum?

    Is it possible English is not your first language?
    I'm talking about direct democracy, what are you talking about?

    Is it possible you are not as well informed as you think?

    By the way, regarding your post "I claim fake ... replica Hermes, likely made in China"; Hermès stationary are real.
    http://usa.hermes.com/leather/writin...-a5-65575.html
    Perhaps not be so reactionary, and make an effort to get your facts right first rather than trying to impress with your enthusiasm for being a know it all?

  19. #33
    Senior Member jar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Posts
    3,408
    Thanks
    286
    Thanked 3,185 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Why we need a strong government to check capitalism.

    Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post

    You can want a lessening of your own rights all you like, but I'm glad those who are your betters have already made provision for that not to happen to the rest of us.
    You can still have yourself committed or sectioned, don't worry we'll take care of you.
    Until then, keep up the good work, there's a good chap.
    Again, what does anything in your post have to do with anything I have said in this or any thread on this forum?

    Is it possible English is not your first language?
    I'm talking about direct democracy, what are you talking about?

    Is it possible you are not as well informed as you think?

    By the way, regarding your post "I claim fake ... replica Hermes, likely made in China"; Hermès stationary are real.
    http://usa.hermes.com/leather/writin...-a5-65575.html
    Perhaps not be so reactionary, and make an effort to get your facts right first rather than trying to impress with your enthusiasm for being a know it all?
    You do know that this is the first time you mentioned Direct Democracy and universal suffrage and direct democracy are not synonyms.

    If you would like to discuss the various forms of direct democracy then perhaps a topic on that subject might let you learn a little.

    But you still have not explained why even direct democracy would be relevant to this topic?

    You do know that Hermes was the messenger of the Greek Gods and around somewhat longer that boutique stationary or maybe you have not learned about humor yet.

    It's not just possible I am not as informed as I'd like to be but in fact a certainty. That is why I must once again ask you what either direct democracy or universal suffrage have to do with the topic? Inform us.
    My Sister's Website: Rose Hill Studios
    My Website


  20. #34
    Senior Member SIR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    GB
    Posts
    1,566
    Thanks
    655
    Thanked 659 Times in 423 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: Why we need a strong government to check capitalism.

    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    You do know that this is the first time you mentioned Direct Democracy
    http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread....l=1#post163672

    Rewrite history in your own time, I'm out.


  21. #35
    Senior Member jar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Posts
    3,408
    Thanks
    286
    Thanked 3,185 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Why we need a strong government to check capitalism.

    Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    You do know that this is the first time you mentioned Direct Democracy
    http://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread....l=1#post163672

    Rewrite history in your own time, I'm out.

    You are right, you did mention it in this thread but you have still never explained how that is relevant to the topic or why direct democracy would be of value in relation to the topic.

    If you think universal suffrage or some form of direct democracy would help limit rampant capitalism perhaps you can present your case.
    My Sister's Website: Rose Hill Studios
    My Website


  22. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Why we need a strong government to check capitalism.

    Two issues in this thread are of particular interest to me. First, the issues discussed hit home on a personal level, and are not simply and exercise in academic theory. I graduated from Stonewall Jackson High School in Charleston WV. I haven't just vacationed in coal country, I lived there. I know how each holler in West Virginia is separate and isolated. You didn't socialize, or marry from the next holler. Even now I haul coal almost every day from a coal mine in Central IL to a power plant in the Chicago area and then bring flyash back. I therefore have both an academic view and a practical one.

    Living in Illinois I can see what would happen to the United States in the case of direct democracy, or electing a President by popular vote, rather than our weighted system of an electoral college. The electoral college and the equal number of Senators from each state accomplish the same thing and that is to insure rural states have a voice. Those of us who live in "fly over" country don't get run roughshod by only 5 states, we have a voice.

    No reasonable person questions the need for rules and regulations, but maybe the reason the 900# gorilla is so big is because he is fat. Maybe if that gorilla would go on a diet he could do a better job. After the trucking industry was deregulated it became apparent that allowing anyone to drive any type of truck was not going to work. Highway fatalities involving big trucks was skyrocketing and the people demanded action. The result was congress forced the creation of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, or FMCSA for short. They accomplished a lot of good, revamping the hours of service, setting up driver fitness standards in physical and educational areas made it more likely people, including drivers made it home safely. They also set up mechanical standards for trucks, and made carriers responsible for their actions. They also put the power to drive safely in the hands of drivers. Now if a driver is out of hours and refuses to drive, the company has no choice, but to allow the driver to shut down.

    So, if they have done so much good, what's the problem? They keep looking for excuses to pass new regulations that don't improve safety. We have the regulations we need, now they need to concentrate on enforcement. However, like most bureaucracies, they are addicted to overeating. The point is that we need a gorilla, but unchecked that gorilla becomes worse than the problem he was supposed to protect us from.

  23. #37
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    East Texas, USA
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Why we need a strong government to check capitalism.

    Whether a 900# Gorilla, corporate abuse, or general bureaucracy suppressing the will of the people, the fact remains large groups of people need some boundaries to ensure equity and opportunity for all in a society. These boundaries also mean corporate entities, businesses in general and, governments need ground rules and boundaries as well so they don't become abusive overlords suppressing the will of the people they claim to serve.

    Company money is one example among many of how a corporation can abuse its workforce and suppress their free will. The same can be said of many forms of government such as but not limited to Saudi Arabia, ISIS, North Korea, and others. No one system is perfect but, it is easy to point out the worst offenders.

    Unfortunately today IMHO, most people while well intentioned are misguided and poorly informed. Where I am from, people speak of the "far left" and others speak of the "far right" and forget about majority in the middle. They also generally have very misguided opinions of others they have never been in contact with. Bias and prejudice runs rampant further complicating social issues. And, the media's obsessional focus of the abhorrent outliers only serves to further obscure or, outright hide, the more significant issues facing societies at large.

    Until the populace at large has sufficient education to understand what has happened in the past and, free access to unbiased news to understand the issues of today, it is very difficult for any representative government to rule effectively. The governments that are not representative are only concerned with with 'brainwashing' the populace, having enough money (or resources) to build weapons to ensure their continued rule and are generally immune from any concerns of the populace they rule over until an overthrow attempt is large enough to overwhelm the weapons and resources of this unrepresentative form government.

    In modern times, if you look at the fall of the Soviet Empire, early Russian democracy and, the Russian state today you can see what happens when the people at large lack the education, critical thinking skills, and free will combined with unrestricted power in the hands of oligarchs. I seriously doubt anyone not a part of the "elite class" would choose to have a governance system like modern day Russia. Hungary and Turkey are two more that are undergoing significant change and may become further examples following the Russian example. The same can said of nations that are heavily influenced by industrial entities though the issues are not easily identified by people who are not living within these governmental entities. The history of the Catholic church is yet another example of a totally different type of governance that has had its own issues over the centuries that can be both supportive and abusive to the populace it serves.

    The results of these influences and attempts at governance can be readily observed if you look at the rise of populism and various forms of extremism today. People want change but, lack the education, knowledge and, experience to effectively and constructively change their local societies. All you need to do is look at the most recent US Presidential election, Brexit, and the rise of various groups in France and Austria as a few examples of people that want change and have had varying levels of success of achieving change. What remains to be seen is what the result of voter anger at the ballot box will be to nations when you "shake things up" out of frustration with the status quo.

    In summary, I am glad I live in a society with a governance system that allows me the freedom to leave it if I am truly unhappy or see a better one across the border. While most modern governments have aspects similar to the 'company store', unlike them however, you have the ability to migrate and take your possessions with you so ultimately you can exercise FREE WILL and leave if you want too.
    Last edited by sidpost; February 13th, 2017 at 12:32 PM.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to sidpost For This Useful Post:

    dneal (February 13th, 2017)

  25. #38
    Senior Member myu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    174
    Thanks
    104
    Thanked 99 Times in 62 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: Why we need a strong government to check capitalism.

    There is a major schism in the philosophy of political parties. It's either Business First or People First. Some try to straddle the line, but many seem to remain polarized.

    The FUNDAMENTAL FLAW with putting business over people, is that this is a short term benefit. It PRESUMES there are people innately doing good in business, and that prosperity will "trickle down" to the people. Perhaps in some cases it will, but history has shown that more often than not it will NOT trickle down much. A thin streak of slow dripping water, versus a nice steady shower.

    The basic problem? PEOPLE. Morals. Ethics. Integrity. Honesty. Compassion. You cannot have these if you do not put people first. Education and parenting are KEY to fostering such people. You treat education as an afterthought? And you'll end up with people who are like sheep, mindless and bleating, unable to think for themselves. Some politicians are overtly insidious, really wanting a dumb and gullible population to accept their policies without question and remain loyal. It's the power hungry who do this.

    So, we need SOCIAL PROGRAMS. ACCOUNTABILITY. But no, some politicians will create barriers to this, like turning "socialism" and "liberalism" into curse words. They don't want money spent on education, but rather on military interests. Make businesses lose 1 to 2% of their profits because of environmental regulations? Bah! Throw it out. Business first! Oversight? That delays business. Throw it out. "Business is best at taking care of itself," which has been said by GW Bush and Trump. But we've seen what they do... 2008 crash. It happened because of anemic or missing regulations. We put new ones in place, and there you go... one party avidly seeks to undermine it all. OUTLANDISHLY GREEDY. How can these people do this and not feel the slightest remorse? Because... anemic character. Power and money hungry. Those are far more important than being fair to the people.

    Sorry... in order for a society to work, you need GOOD PEOPLE. And we're anemic on that right now. Enough that it has allowed terrible things to happen in our government. We can't keep going like this and remain a strong, civil republic. Cannot.
    Last edited by myu; February 28th, 2017 at 12:19 PM.

  26. #39
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    27
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 19 Times in 13 Posts
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Why we need a strong government to check capitalism.

    All of this talk about more "education" is nonsense, at least from a funding standpoint in the USA. Our country spends far more per student, adjusted for inflation, than we did in the 1950s when our public schools were the best in the world. They are now near the very bottom of western society, according to standardized tests, and we have many college graduates from very expensive colleges and universities who are unable to think critically or express their ideas effectively in writing. The main problem with our schools is they have been taken over by ardent socialists and left wing liberals who indoctrinate rather than teach their students. Starting in elementary school and continuing through college, if a student expresses a different viewpoint, no matter how well founded or eloquent, the teacher often retaliates by publicly ridiculing the student and giving them a poor grade. The rest of the students see this and respond by mindlessly repeating the left wing drivel being spoon fed them for the remainder of their academic careers and they consequently are lauded by their teachers. When they graduate, many have no employable skills, no moral compass (God is dead according the liberals) are hooked on drugs (if it feels good, do it say the liberals), and end up living in their parents basements, going on welfare, becoming single parents, etc. For the first time in American history, this generation is expected to have a lower standard of living than their parents. Thanks liberals. Not surprisingly, throwing more money at this problem in no way ameliorates it.

    The other fundamental problem in American society is that approximately 47% of the population do not work and live on the taxes paid by the remaining 53%. Yet these 47% are allowed to vote even though they pay no taxes and have no skin in the game. Not surprisingly, they vote to increase their benefits endlessly without concern about the long term negative impact to the American economy. Ruthless Democratic politicians support policies which logically creates and nourishes this toxic environment as this is their base of elective power. They also continuously push for more unskilled migrants from third world countries to enter the USA, and also get on welfare, food stamps, etc to enlarge this base. Not to be outdone, the Republican establishment also encourages the entry of millions of unskilled migrants from the third world (even though the vast majority become Democrats) as Big Business can exploit these workers by paying them very little in wages and benefits. Most of their income ends up being paid for by the shrinking American middle class taxes as the migrants easily qualify for social benefits since their income is so small. These establishment Republicans believe their only loyalty should be to their "shareholders" not the American people.

    Most of the threads above understandably express concern over the greed of the Republican establishment but its disheartening to see they mostly ignore the even larger societal problem caused by the left wing Democrats...

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to EricTheRed For This Useful Post:

    hansdown (May 7th, 2017)

  28. #40
    Senior Member Lady Onogaro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,081
    Thanks
    4,695
    Thanked 1,360 Times in 836 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: In Praise of the 900lb gorilla; Why we need a strong government to check capitali

    Usually everything cost more at the company store, so you were always in debt to them. They extended credit, which would essentially keep you tied to the store since you could not leave until the debt was paid or risk arrest. Every paycheck, the debt grew. You could not catch up. Thus you ended up "owing​ your soul to the company store."

    Sent from my HUAWEI Y336-A1 using Tapatalk
    Lady Onogaro

    "Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •