Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post
I am sorry to disagree with my friend, SIR, but the problem with direct democracy is the underlying assumption that a hundred idiots can make a better decision than one genius.
By whose standards do you judge them idiots and what is the cause of them being idiots?
Just because we don't understand them does not mean they do not understand us... or that they are less intelligent, but mental aptitude is only inherent to a certain extent, a lot is the result of nurture and methods of teaching; further, economic and other issues extrinsic to education, learning, and social integration play a very large part in shaping mental development. Freud is renowned for overlooking environmental influences in the analysis of psychology and mental development.
We need to get away from the idea of 'original sin'; investment in a persons development is multifaceted - differences in spiritual, emotional, psychological, intellectual, and sociological factors should not preclude an individual's involvement in communal politics.
Original sin does not enter into it but education does.

I cannot address the education in other nations but in general in the US it is abysmal.

We do not teach what is needed to be an informed citizen.

We do not teach How to think; the processes required to think.

We do not teach actual history but rather myth.

We do not teach critical thinking.

We do not teach personal responsibility.

The average natural born American could not begin to qualify for citizenship compared to those immigrants that do try to become citizens.

This thread is a great example. Much of what has been touched on is simply not known by the average US voter.
Jar,

I teach writing courses, so l have some experience with this. The thing about critical thinking is that it can't overcome tribalism. Every study shows that people will vote against their own self interests rather than break with their tribes. I've seen this over and over again in discussing everything from elections to tattoos. And the desire for your tribe to be right means that whatever its leaders must be right too. So you have to accept that they know what they are doing even if it's pretty clear they don't. My students, for example, will agree that some no name brand of x works as well as y which costs much more. But they will still buy y. Their tribes buys y, so they will too. The same thing applies to politics so far as l can hear. It isn't that people don't see the problems with their candidates. They will follow their tribes. They just don't want the problems to be there. It's Colbert's truthiness in action whatever the issue may be. Look at Imhof and his snowball stunt. There's no climate change because I have a snowball here? There's so many problems here l can't address them, but this is a person who doesn't want it to be true. I can think of some economic reasons he doesn't want it to be true, but maybe he actually fears it's true. And he's doing this to get the support of his tribe to tell him he's right. Tribalism has its good aspects, but it has some awfully bad ones too.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y336-A1 using Tapatalk