Thread: Tops Docket Gold Paper

Thanks

Thumbs up Tops Docket Gold Paper

Recently I purchased Tops Docket Gold paper in tablet form. I decided to do a review of the paper as I was happy with its performance at the price point. Most of the review is written on the paper itself. Click the thumbnails below to bring up a full resolution image (if you zoom in). I wrote to fill both the front and back of the sheet to give a complete show through test and a chance for bleed through or other problems to manifest.

The tablets come in a pack of a dozen as sold by Amazon for $19.99 when I bought it. Each tablet had 50 sheets of 20lb paper. It is listed as acid free by Office Depot. Margin lines are red with blue ruling. This tablet is legal wide ruling I believe. The tablet has a substantial back panel. The paper is top perforated and tears easily and consistently.

On the paper I note that show through in images is usually much greater in photos than it is to the eye. In this case I tried using mostly natural light, and an over head room light instead of a flash to try and manage show through. It appears to have worked to an extent. So, the show through in the photos is moderately more, not greatly more, than the eye.

The worst show through was when I used the darkest ink. They are also highly saturated inks by Noodler's. Two are bullet proof, one was a polar ink. The polar inks by Noodler's seem to be more penetrating than other inks. Polar Brown in this case. You can see on the front of the sheet the penetration did cause some show through. I did not find the show through to be more than moderate in the worst case, to my own eye (as versus the camera). Plus keep in mind I was using TWSBI Eco's with stub nibs which have wet feeds. One pen was a TWSBI 580 Diamond with a Pendleton BLS nib which I would class as very wet. That was the worst case test as it also had the darkest ink. That combination was used to start the write up at the top of the front page. I suspect most fountain pen inks, other than Noodler's, will exhibit slightly less show through in general on most papers as they tend to be less saturated.

The paper has a moderate tooth with my 1.1mm stub nibs. I suspect to a fine nib it may be substantial. But tooth tends to be a subjective issue. The paper is well behaved with fountain pen ink. There were no instances of bleed through. No feathering that I could detect.

At the price I bought it came out to $0.03(USA) a sheet. Quite a good deal for paper of this performance/price.

Click the thumbnail images to bring up the full image.

FRONT

BACK

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Armstrong For This Useful Post:

Dragonmaster Lou (March 1st, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Tops Docket Gold Paper

Thank you for the review. It looks like an acceptable amount of show-through to me--not nearly as much as I have seen in some versions of the Moleskine notebooks.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Default Re: Tops Docket Gold Paper

Thank you. To me it is quite acceptable. Short of a flex nib, I use about as wet a nib as is practical. Also considering the show through is less than it shows on screen. It isn't as smooth as say Rhodia or Kokuyo for instance, it has some tooth. But, that tends to be a personal preference thing.