Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low Cost Piston Fill Pens

Thanks

Default Re: Low Cost Piston Fill Pens

I was looking at the Guru. The piston mechanism is very intriguing. Did they form the outer threads directly into the body?

I have some of the Noodler's. My main problem with them is that they dry up over night. Same issue I have with a Parker IM btw. Any idea how to stop that? I was thinking it is leaking air around where the pocket clip is attached to the cap. Might get some low viscosity epoxy (wood rot repair epoxy) and coat the inside of the cap above where it contacts the pen body. That might salvage some pens for me. I tend to leave pens inked for long periods. I take fits of writing and not writing. So pens that dry out easily can be an issue unless I am just doing something quick with them.
    Last edited by Armstrong; March 2nd, 2016 at 02:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Armstrong View Post
    I was looking at the Guru. The piston mechanism is very intriguing. Did they form the outer threads directly into the body?

I have some of the Noodler's. My main problem with them is that they dry up over night. Same issue I have with a Parker IM btw. Any idea how to stop that? I was thinking it is leaking air around where the pocket clip is attached to the cap. Might get some low viscosity epoxy (wood rot repair epoxy) and coat the inside of the cap above where it contacts the pen body. That might salvage some pens for me. I tend to leave pens inked for long periods. I take fits of writing and not writing. So pens that dry out easily can be an issue unless I am just doing something quick with them.

Depends on what kind of ink you're using, and of course your environment and how you're storing them if they all keep doing that overnight.

(I'd imagine it'd also depend if you're heavy handed, since it seems in some rare cases where it happens to every pen, the user keeps bearing down on the nib creating a gap in between the nib and feed, which reduces capillary action, and course increases that drying out feel when capillary action isn't promoted, and pressing the nib to create flow just makes it worse).

Also just how long a period are we talking about? If it's months that could be bad in regards to steel nibs, especially if you don't just re-ink/flush them every couple of months.

Thanks

No not heavy handed. It is characteristic of the pen. Other pens, same ink, no problems. I think the cap does not seal for some reason, allowing it to dry. Tends to be push caps as versus screw caps. I think push caps also tend to have an air vent to allow easier cap/uncapping. So it could just be the pen design combined with my climate. I am in Colorado which has low humidity and low air pressure, both combine to cause rapid evaporation. One reason I tend toward pens that are cap within a cap design. My TWSBI's are well behaved under the same conditions but they are well made screw caps which make a good seal.

Thanks

From what I understand about noodlers, the fast drying time I'd related to the material used in their construction. It's some odd cellulose based plastic, and a lot of people have the same issue with them. I know I sure did

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Anne View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AltecGreen View Post
    Dollar 717i.

They are cheap enough that we use hundreds for the ink testing stations at the SF Pen Show.

DSC_2103 by Ricky Chau, on Flickr
    I like those!
    Me, too...I think I bought the last available batch of ten.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by schweitzerp View Post
    From what I understand about noodlers, the fast drying time I'd related to the material used in their construction. It's some odd cellulose based plastic, and a lot of people have the same issue with them. I know I sure did
    OK, so it might be porous. Mine are fairly early Noodler's so that could be.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by schweitzerp View Post
    OK, so it might be porous. Mine are fairly early Noodler's so that could be.
    Celluloid Acetate (as opposed to the Celluloid Nitrate of older pens, that are flammable), but I never heard of that being a reason for drying out, rather that the inner caps are not as well sealed.

Thanks

I'm not sure--these tend to be very simple, cheaply made pens by Indian companies in contract with FPR- there's probably something very similar out there by Camlin or Serwex. I've never had a problem with the piston, and in this case simplicity and cheapness is a virtue. The knob is the end of the barrel, not hidden under a blind cap but it is nearly seamless. Unlike the Konrad, the piston head will not push on the back of the feed, unseating it and the nib, which it can if you are not careful with the Noodler's pen. The FPR nibs can be a little stiff but it should take 5 or 5.5 nibs. I have a demonstrator version and now I really want one in black or blue.

As for your Noodler's problem, I've never had one of their pens dry up that fast. Ahabs, at least stay wet indefinitely. Perhaps the tolerances on the Konrad cap threads are looser, so you might try putting a little silicon grease along the cap threads to make a better seal-- do it to the blind cap too.

Thanks

splash_big_banner.jpg

Surprised that no one has mentioned the Stipula Splash!
    "When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

Owner-
    http://federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)
    (5% Discount for FPG Members! Use Code "FPG" at checkout!)

Follow store/forum at
    Linked-In!
    Like Us on
    Facebook !

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    splash_big_banner.jpg

The Stipula looks like a Dollar 717i, with a different nib.
    Hard to tell from the pix.
    San Francisco Pen Show 2017, August 25-27, 2017, Redwood City, California
    www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

I can vouch for FPR Indus, it's cheap but I have never had a problem with it.
    I use the demonstrator to play around with dip nibs, it has a Joseph Gillot nib in it right now.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    splash_big_banner.jpg

The Stipula looks like a Dollar 717i, with a different nib.
    Hard to tell from the pix.
    Definitely has an Indian pen look to it in the section and the colors. Yes though, it should be included.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    I use the demonstrator to play around with dip nibs, it has a Joseph Gillot nib in it right now.
    That's an interesting idea.

The Splash does fit the criteria. It also has a distinctly Indian pen look to it in the section and colors, at least to my eye. They want $70+ for it...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    That's an interesting idea.

The Splash does fit the criteria. It also has a distinctly Indian pen look to it in the section and colors, at least to my eye. They want $70+ for it...
    I remember reading a negative review on the Splash because it's kinda cheaply made.
    I would not drop $70 for it, for sure.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

When I look at a pen that doesn't cost much but does what it was designed to do reliably that isn't cheap to me, its frugal. Semantics I know. But to me that is a very good thing. The key of course that it does what it is designed to do. I think the TWSBI Eco's are a perfect example of that. Mine are some of the most reliable pens I have, and they have stub nibs. Sounds like some of the Indian pens fit that model also. Definitely going to explore those options.

Now one of you mentioned nib sizes. I would think these pens would be perfect for nib changes and experimentation as DPWilkens mentioned with the dip nibs. I really want to try that now lol. Any information on the nib sizes for these pens like the Indus, Guru, Jaipur. DPWilkens thought the said is a 5 or 5.5? Are all the same size?

Thanks

I have gotten all of the following piston fillers for the price of a TWSBI or less:
    Pelikan M200 blue marbled OB
    Pelikan M150 F (in route)
    Pelikan 120 Merz & Krell M
    Noodler's Konrad - Goulet B
    TWSBI Eco 1.1
    TWSBI 580 B

I had Art at ArtsNibs.com stub the B on the 580 with his Tomahawk grind which made it more expensive than any of the others. All the others - even after dealing with exchange rate are all under about $65. The 120 M&K? Under $20.
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin_Ute View Post
    I have gotten all of the following piston fillers for the price of a TWSBI or less:
    TWSBI Eco 1.1
    TWSBI 580 B

I had Art at ArtsNibs.com stub the B on the 580 with his Tomahawk grind which made it more expensive than any of the others. All the others - even after dealing with exchange rate are all under about $65. The 120 M&K? Under $20.
    A little explanation on the how you went about acquiring the Pelikan's might be helpful. Especially to those, like me, are not yet skilled in finding the higher priced pens at prices in the range under discussion. I am inclined to think that is not their retail prices as are the other items, mostly, on this list.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Runnin_Ute View Post
    TWSBI Eco 1.1
    TWSBI 580 B

A little explanation on the how you went about acquiring the Pelikan's might be helpful. Especially to those, like me, are not yet skilled in finding the higher priced pens at prices in the range under discussion. I am inclined to think that is not their retail prices as are the other items, mostly, on this list.
    Ebay finds. Perseverance and a little luck. The 120 didn't get a lot of bidding action. It has some plating loss on the cap band.
    The guy selling the blue marbled M200 was selling two of them at the same time. One with a M and one with a OB, I pursued the one that I thought was a more interesting nib. I think if he had been smarter in staggering the sales (they closed pretty close together too) he might have got more for each. One sold for a penny more than the other. It is in real nice shape. The M150 was 35 GBP. I'll know more when it arrives. Last I checked it was in Customs in Los Angeles.
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain