Thread: Some Quick Questions On How Fp Affected Us

Thanks

Default Some Quick Questions On How Fp Affected Us

Hi guys~ I'm Jason. I'm kinda new here (FP user for about half a year), but I'm not sure if this thread should go to Introductions or elsewhere. The purpose of this thread is to gather some form of narratives, or life stories/perspectives etc, which I will be using in one of my assignments. It would be really great if I could get some answers from you guys.

The project I'm doing revolves around collating information and representing it with a certain narrative flow. In my case, I would like you guys to answer a few questions, which I will collate and use on an art installation. My final piece would likely look somewhat like a mindmap of some sorts. Feel free to interpret the questions in any way and they don't have to be super long or anything.

Here goes:

1) What/who got you into fountain pens?
    2) What was your very first pen?
    3) Has FPs changed your life/lifestyle in any way?
    4) I'm sure we're all super happy when unboxing a new pen, but if possible, what is the #1 ultimate pen to you?
    5) Have you ever thought about going into pen-making?
    6) Of the different parts of a pen, which is of the most important factor when choosing a new "life partner"?

That's all for now. I will edit this post as the project develops and hopefully get to know you guys more.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EDIT: Hi guys! Thanks for the feedback previously! After a couple of consultations with my professor, I'm moving on to the next stage.

I would like you guys to post certain quotes that hold dear to you. It doesn't have to, but it'll be great to have a photo/scan of a handwritten quote.
    I'm collecting quotes that you would tell someone who's feeling
    1) Frustrated
    2) Worried
    3) Stressed
    4)Angry

The quotes will be printed out if they are photos, and for the rest I'll try my best to do them justice and write them out nicely. These quotes will be placed in a set of "emotion" boxes.
    The aim would be to get people to write down their source/reasons for negativity, and either discard/shred it into a provided bin (using a metal piggy bank), and take a quote from the boxes relevant to their negative emotions. The quote they pick will be at random. In doing so I hope to let people vent out stress anonymously and also to feel better, especially since it's nearing the end of the semester (Exams and project submissions). People will also be able to write down their quotes and place it in a submission box, which I'll sort out into the relevant emotion boxes. In the provided Bin, people can fold their paper nicely and mark it for "Help". These calls for help will be anonymous, but I will reply to them if they wish, or I could simply just be a listening ear for them.

Throughout the project, I will pick out powerful quotes, as well as strong cries for help. These will be rasterized onto acrylic sheets which I will then merge into a solid cube. This way, it will create a sense of depth, coherence for the powerful quotes, and confusion for the cries, depending on where the words are laser etched.

I hope to receive a great response like before~ And once again, thank you so much for taking part in my project and helping me, as well as my fellow schoolmates.
    Last edited by KuriYokan; March 16th, 2016 at 03:48 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Some Quick Questions On How Fp Affected Us

OK,I'll bite and be the first
    1) In grade school, we were required to use fountain pens. Ballpoint pens were forbidden.
    2) The first pen I used was an Esterbrook from school. The first pen I owned was probably a Sheaffer cartridge pen, but I don't remember. In recent years, the first pen was a Parker IM that my wife gave me.
    3) No. It's another hobby. Writing with fountain pens relaxes me.
    4) There is no ultimate pen, modern or vintage.
    5) Yes, briefly. However, I didn't find a passion to put 'kit pens' together. I don't want to belittle anyone who likes doing this. It's a great area in the hobby.
    6) It's difficult to answer. I look at the whole pen and determine if I should buy it. I buy modern and vintage, various filling systems, various pen materials and mostly prefer gold nibs. Being a 'life partner' to me means having only one pen. Impossible for me.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks

I've been using them since I was a child, but the obsessive phase of the disease is more recent. Partly it was talking with a friend, partly a tendency to be interested in sophisticated stuff involving arcane lore, collecting, and money.

I don't remember. Probably a Parker of some kind. I also had to use a dip pen for some school projects, so that might have played a role.

I have less disposable income than before.

4) I'm sure we're all super happy when unboxing a new pen, but if possible, what is the #1 ultimate pen to you?

Manu Propria body, flex nib, ebonite feed ... No, there's no ultimate pen, there are only pens that are great for certain purposes and, alas, pens that are not.

No. I don't have the manual skill.

6) Of the different parts of a pen, which is of the most important factor when choosing a new "life partner"?

Nib, Nib, Nib, then feed. Usually.

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Copied from your other thread on the subject.

There really weren't all that many options. When little it was crayons and chalk and the pencils, usually colored. When you got in school you could even ask to come up and sharpen the pencil yourself. The next step was fountain pens. There were no ball points or roller balls.

I can't remember. The first I remember actually being My Pen was a Sheaffer full size White Dot Balance marine green striated plunger filler that had been my grandfathers. That pen must have already been ten or fifteen years old at that time so it was older than I was. The first fountain pen I bought myself was a Sheaffer Gen 1 Cartridge (AkA School) pen with the clear barrel. Still have both of them.

Nope, they have always been part. Now they have used up some of my money but I would have likely spent that money on something else anyway.

No such thing. That are always new horizons.

LOL. Nope, have made some knives, some wine, some beer and I learned to leave making stuff to them what can. I stick to enjoying.

Again, impossible question to answer.

A pen that does not write reliably will not get into rotation.
    A pen that writes reliably but is uncomfortable to use will not get into rotation.
    A pen that writes reliably and is comfortable to use but is butt fugly will not get into rotation.
    A pen that writes reliably and is comfortable to use and is pretty but has edges that annoy me will not get into rotation.
    A pen that writes well and is comfortable to use and is pretty and has no sharp edges but all the parts do not fit together as though it were one unit will not get into rotation.

All of the various facets, function, looks, feel, reliability, fit and finish, materials and even small things like the sounds it makes are essential. If any one is missing the pen does not get into rotation.

Thanks

My parents got me one when I was 9... It was fun, but messy. I got back into them recently (maaaany years later) because a Metro + bottle of Heart of Darkness would be cheaper than me buying gel pen refills. Then it snowballed from there.

A yellow smallish Montblanc of some sort. I lost it. Sadness.

I spend a lot more money on pens and ink? I also write more longhand now -- journaling, notes and letters. I enjoy it much more than writing with other pens.

There isn't one. I have a list of pens I'd like to own one day -- but I don't believe there's an "ultimate pen", I think it varies by what I'm going to use the pen for and many other variables.

Nope. I would love to tinker with pens more, but buying pens with the intentions of frankenpen-ing them sounds like it could be super expensive.

I'm not really picking a "life partner" -- I have no intentions of being monogamous (with my pens). But, when looking for a new "friend", I'm looking at a lot of things, but the big thing for me is now aesthetics. (Writing experience is the most important thing in a pen, but I already have quite a few pens I love writing with -- so at this point the upsell for existing pens is aesthetics)
    Pens and Perspective for all hands, great and small (including pen reviews by the small handed!)

Thanks

1) We were required to use fountain pens from 2nd grade in school (before, it was slate pencils on - you guessed it a wood-framed black slab of slate). Amazingly, our school notebooks (still have some of those) were at least of Rhodia/Clairefontaine quality!
    2) A 1968 model Pelikan "Pelikano", blue, with a transparent blue ink window and stainless steel cap. The next pen was a later iteration of the same, then came a Lamy Safari in 1980....
    3) Fountain pens taught me to love writing - not the creative, 'find-the-right-words' part, but the actual physical act of writing, seeing that trail of wet ink glisten on the paper, even during grueling math homework sessions, seeing it dry, feeling the nib glide over the smooth whiteness... When I write a letter or poetry or just a shopping list these days, I'm never sure about the content, but sure love the act of writing
    4) Any pen that is simplistic in appearance (like a Nakaya, Lamy CP1, Lamy 2000 etc.) or very traditional and carries a 'perfect' nib. Current favorites: my (5) Franklin-Christoph pocket 66's (all with Mike Masuyama nibs) and my Lamy 2000 collection. In the future, I see a Nakaya Piccolo...
    5) I've thought about making a pen, which, after all, is just a tube holding ink, a feed, and a nib. But since I believe that learning to make the nib and the feed would be too much of a learning curve, I didn't pursue that any further...
    6) The nib/feed combo. Everything else is just pretty, and better not distract from the nib.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by katherine View Post

You had a Montblanc Carrera? Like my best friend in highschool? Fabulous - too bad it's lost. I still miss my first Pelikano and my first Safari!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Well, I was a gradeschooler in the 1960s, so there wasn't really any other option for us.

It was probably a Sheaffer or a Wearever cartridge pen.

I would say that I certainly write more letters and spend way too much time and money on fountain pen related hobby stuff, but I have enjoyed the time I have spent, too. So there are good sides and bad sides to it.

I don't have one, if you are talking about which pen I would buy that would stop me from buying anything else. I would like to get a Pilot Custom 74 in Violet, but I'm not going to spend $160 on it (especially now, when I might be furloughed because of Louisiana's last silly governor and his sham budgets).

Never. I have thought about going into repairs when I am retired.

The nib and section. Though I have many pens I acquired because they were pretty.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

A number of things. I recall my grandfather becoming quite vexed with one when I was a young boy, and chucking it in the bin with an accompanying growl of dangerous frustration. He was a stubborn, albeit short-tempered, German engineer who could build anything, so something that defeated grandpa had to be amazing. My dad used on in his office for a while, and it just seemed so…classy. I wrote letters and stuff with one occasionally for a while, but started using one in earnest after meeting a fellow teacher who uses FPs exclusively. Writing with a FP requires one to be gentle, controlled, and deliberate (as I tell my students: like a fluffy, winged unicorn floating above a field of cupcakes). Finally, as a Southpaw with chronically poor penmanship, something that would force me to develop better writing habits seemed like a good thing.

I think it was some sort of Shaffer demonstrator. I still have the converter for it, though where the rest of the pen got to in the last thirty years is beyond me. After that, I messed about with a homemade dip pen—an Osmiroid nib stuck in a wooden dowel. It sucked, but I’m not mechanically inclined.

I carry a bit of blotter in my wallet for when I sign credit card receipts. I write a lot more letters now, and I have met some good friends through this mutual interest. Using FPs almost exclusively has also further confirmed many of my friends’ opinion of me as somewhat old-fashioned and eccentric. I do not use other peoples' pens, and do not allow other people to use mine. Writing with a FP makes this predilection easier to accomplish.

Once upon a time it was the Noodler’s #10 Dixie Ripple Konrad. I got one of the original run, and after trying really hard to like it, most of the time it sits, empty, in my pen cup. Right now, it’s the shiny black Ranga eyedropper that I bought in January that’s been languishing in customs in India for a solid month. Honestly, the ultimate #1 pen would be a 110mm version of the Noodler’s “Roaring 20’s Tortoiseshell” in ebonite, with a gold nib, chasing, and pocket clip, and no blind cap.

Absolutely not. I break things. I try to be gentle, but I’m not.

I am going to shamelessly plagiarize JAR’s reply, and add that any pen with C/C fill system will not make it into rotation.
    A pen that does not write reliably will not get into rotation.
    A pen that writes reliably but is uncomfortable to use will not get into rotation.
    A pen that writes reliably and is comfortable to use but is butt fugly will not get into rotation.
    A pen that writes reliably and is comfortable to use and is pretty but has edges that annoy me will not get into rotation.
    A pen that writes well and is comfortable to use and is pretty and has no sharp edges but all the parts do not fit together as though it were one unit will not get into rotation.

All of the various facets, function, looks, feel, reliability, fit and finish, materials and even small things like the sounds it makes are essential. If any one is missing the pen does not get into rotation.
    Yeah.
    Writing with a FP is holistic. It’s more than simply putting words on a page; it’s an experience. Even the smell of a pen or ink has an impact. I love the peppermint smell of the old German pens I’ve bought from Lex van Galen, of ebonite pens, and of 54th Massachusetts ink. I do not like the smell of Waterman or Private Reserve inks.
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

Thanks

The amount of writing that I had to do at the time, and still do now, combined with the inability to find a different style of pen I was completely happy with.

Lamy Vista

It gave me something to collect and tinker with.

I would say a vintage Onoto Magna in the Silver or Tiger eye.

Yes. But the room needed for a shop is an issue for me, and when I have that room it will probably to towards motorcycles lol.

The nib really, if I can't get it to write how I want it then I will end up not using it.
    My Pinterest Feel free to add me on Facebook as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by katherine View Post

You had a Montblanc Carrera? Like my best friend in highschool? Fabulous - too bad it's lost. I still miss my first Pelikano and my first Safari!
    I don't think it was a Carrera (this was in ~96). I could also be totally confused on brands and be mixing up things with my parents' pens in my head. I still hope my first pen will turn up one day as my parents shuffle stuff around their house. :|
    Pens and Perspective for all hands, great and small (including pen reviews by the small handed!)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to katherine For This Useful Post:

inklord (March 4th, 2016)

Thanks

We used fps at school. So did our teachers. I still remember my Latin teacher's golden pen fine nib, red ink... Always lots of red ink in my exercisebook!
    Forgotten. Probably Parker 45 or 25. First pen I bought myself - Waterman Laureat. I still have it.
    One big thing, on my second trip to India I had a lot of fun chasing Indian fps, visiting places and meeting people I would never have seen without this interest. That was really enjoyable.
    I want a Hakase. And I'll go to Japan to get it... Some day. But then, that's about the experience, not just the pen. The other answer: a Waterman 20 for one euro at a flea market. Hope springs eternal...
    Yes. I'm starting off with dip pens, and will move on to FPs when I get more confidence.
    All of it. Ugly pen, great nib - no dice. Bad nib, nice pen - well, I might be able to swap the nib over...
    Last edited by amk; March 4th, 2016 at 02:03 AM.

Thanks

Sister Mary Angelique in gradeschool.

Sheaffer cartridge pen. I still have it and it writes as well as it ever did.

Yes. I write a lot more with a fountain pen than I would otherwise.

Sheaffer Valiant, early '40s vintage..

Yes. I make quill pens when I want them.

The nib.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
    Impressive! What kind of quill feathers do you use? (we raise geese and there are a lot of wild turkeys around, and I've used both)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post
    Impressive! What kind of quill feathers do you use? (we raise geese and there are a lot of wild turkeys around, and I've used both)
    I use Canada goose and wild turkey feathers and African porcupine quills. I base my nib design on the quills I bought from Lewis Glaser who cuts the quill pens for the US Supreme Court. That has got to be the real deal, huh?

I saw some quills in a museum, once. They were boxed by the dozen for sale, ready made. They appear to be white chicken feathers (way smaller than goose feathers) and the nibs were made with just a single cut. The barbs are still in place, but shortened considerably.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

inklord (March 4th, 2016)

Thanks

Everyone used them at school, sister did too so no one in particular.
    First proper nicish pen a stabilo Bionic first fountain pen a parker Reflex
    Something to collect
    Parker Duofold Amber Centennial I've wanted one for years

Not really. Would like to design my own pen but from knowledge I don't think there are any custom "pen" makers who work with lacquer and metals.

The nib, the design, the story behind the pen,
    A lot

Thanks

Thanks for the great responses and well wishes! I'll be updating this thread shortly with new questions. I really can't thank you guys enough for helping me out with this.
    Last edited by KuriYokan; March 8th, 2016 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks

1) What/who got you into fountain pens? Found an Esterbrook at an antique show and it wrote out of the box. $5 that started a 20+ year use.

2) What was your very first pen? Grey Estie ( $5)

3) Has FPs changed your life/lifestyle in any way? Not the pens directly but my online dealings with pen collectors has changed me to not trust people and to be more guarded.

4) I'm sure we're all super happy when unboxing a new pen, but if possible, what is the #1 ultimate pen to you? I thought I knew what my ultimate pen was then I actually bought it and realized that I had worked so hard and for so long but couldn't bear to use it. Sold it and most of my pens and now am starting back up in the shallow waters of student pens.

5) Have you ever thought about going into pen-making? not really- like music I know what I like but can't make a good noise.

Be Here Now

Thanks

I have updated the thread with part 2 of my project! I look forward to your cooperation, and thank you so much for taking part in my project.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,745 Posts

Late to the game. Okay, embedding reply.

Quote Originally Posted by KuriYokan View Post
    Hi guys~ I'm Jason. I'm kinda new here (FP user for about half a year), but I'm not sure if this thread should go to Introductions or elsewhere. The purpose of this thread is to gather some form of narratives, or life stories/perspectives etc, which I will be using in one of my assignments. It would be really great if I could get some answers from you guys.

The project I'm doing revolves around collating information and representing it with a certain narrative flow. In my case, I would like you guys to answer a few questions, which I will collate and use on an art installation. My final piece would likely look somewhat like a mindmap of some sorts. Feel free to interpret the questions in any way and they don't have to be super long or anything.

Here goes:

I think it was wanting something portable to sketch with that WASN'T a Flair pen.

Like so many others, a Sheaffer school pen, which predated my REAL involvement with fps by a few decades.

Yup. I've met people, stalked pens, traded inks, and generally have had a great time at it.

If I found such a pen I'd probably be scared to use it. I'm on a beater kick now.

Nope.

Gotta have girth. And lightness. And no metal section. And not too 'spensive.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD