Thread: Ink Review: Diamine Poppy Red

Thanks
    Thanked 10,363 Times in 3,978 Posts

Default Ink Review: Diamine Poppy Red

It's starting to feel like Spring here so I have been writing with another bright Spring like colour. This one is Poppy Red.

This is a really bright scarlet red. It jumps off the page. It's a saturated red ink that looks even better when it's used in a pen with a broader nib. It almost looked subdued when I wrote with it in my fine nibbed AL Star. I loved it in my Lamy red Safari and it was such a good match for it.

I decided to try and draw a poppy, but I know I'm no good at drawing so I did it in steps.

This ink was a joy to write with, neither too wet nor too dry. It flowed well in the pens I filled with it, and I experienced no problems with it at all.

It gets a thumbs up from me.

• This isn't a waterproof ink, but it has reasonable water resistance. By mistake the pool of water was left on the test patch for 20 minutes while I made and drank a cup of tea, then was blotted off with kitchen roll.

• Bearing in mind the paper I use is thick with a shiny, smooth surface, and I used a Lamy 1.1mm nib, this ink only took 12-15 secs to dry. That's quick on this paper.

• It flows very well and lubricates the nib very well. I saw no skips or hard starts despite leaving the pen uncapped while I did all of the swab tests.

• It is currently available in 80ml glass bottles or 30ml plastic bottles

• Diamine sell it directly to end-users on their web-site.

• It's a reasonable price.

Diamine Poppy Red.jpeg

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (December 3rd, 2019), distracted_mom (March 7th, 2016), Jeph (March 8th, 2016), jvlgato (March 7th, 2016), KKay (March 6th, 2016), Lady Onogaro (March 6th, 2016), Marsilius (March 7th, 2016), Neo (March 13th, 2016), penultress (March 7th, 2016), Smithman (May 7th, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: Ink Review: Diamine Poppy Red

I think this red was in my first Diamine order! Cheerful colour. Very happy with it.

Thanks

This looks quite similar to my current favorite bright red, Diamine Wild Strawberry. I should get a sample before I use up my strawberry bottle.

Thanks

It looks very much like modern Sheaffer red, which is my regular marking ink. Do you have any idea which dries faster? The color, as much as the fast drying time made me settle on the Sheaffer a while ago.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rdcalhoon View Post
    This looks quite similar to my current favorite bright red, Diamine Wild Strawberry. I should get a sample before I use up my strawberry bottle.
    It's my intention to add Wild Strawberry to my sample list.

This time I decided on Poppy Red and Tulip. They are quite similar as you can see from the comparison ink swabs.

Thanks

Would you say that this is a bright bright red or darkens with time ? I'm looking for one that could do a statement
    "When I have a little money, I buy books pens; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."

--- Erasmus --- sort of

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jackokun View Post
    Would you say that this is a bright bright red or darkens with time ? I'm looking for one that could do a statement
    I would call it a bright red. I haven't left it for a long time, just a few days, but it's still a bright red. It could still be an ink that darkens inside a pen though, as some inks have a tendency to do, especially in a Pelikan piston filler for example.

There are darker reds that you could choose such as Syrah, Burgundy Rose, or Carnival if you want it darker than this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

jackokun (March 7th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dam View Post
    It looks very much like modern Sheaffer red, which is my regular marking ink. Do you have any idea which dries faster? The color, as much as the fast drying time made me settle on the Sheaffer a while ago.
    It does look similar. Perhaps Sheaffer Skrip red has a shade more pink about it. I did some tests and Sheaffer took 2-3 seconds longer to dry. It might also be handy to do a price comparison per ml between the two, depending on where you live and how easy it is to get both brands.

Thanks

I loved the tone and brightness. However, it feathered and spread like mad on cheap copy paper, which is what we use at work. I wanted to use this for print markups, but with the feathering, it was a no-go.

I'm still trying to figure out a reason to buy it, but with my current collection, I can't justify it.

Thanks

What a pretty and vivid red! Although, having never seen poppies (not available in my country), they look more tomato-ey red to me.
    "Time to live by a new resolution, in the spirit of love's evolution ..."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naimitsu View Post
    I loved the tone and brightness. However, it feathered and spread like mad on cheap copy paper, which is what we use at work. I wanted to use this for print markups, but with the feathering, it was a no-go.

I'm still trying to figure out a reason to buy it, but with my current collection, I can't justify it.
    That's very disappointing.

I decided to try it out on our printer paper. It's the cheapest paper we have in the house. We use it in our everyday B&W printer. It's HP All-in-One Printing paper 80 g/m2 from Staples. I didn't notice feathering or spreading on it even though I used my Lamy Safari 1.1mm nib.

Diamine Poppy RedC.jpeg

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

naimitsu (March 7th, 2016)

Thanks

Thanks for another great review!

That's a bit bright for my taste. But I've been extremely happy with other Diamine inks. Red Ox is my current favorite red, and their Document Black is my current favorite permanent black. I think their colors are great, very well saturated. And their inks have great flow properties. IMHO.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    That's very disappointing.

I decided to try it out on our printer paper. It's the cheapest paper we have in the house. We use it in our everyday B&W printer. It's HP All-in-One Printing paper 80 g/m2 from Staples. I didn't notice feathering or spreading on it even though I used my Lamy Safari 1.1mm nib.
    I think the copy paper here at work is not much better than the cheap paper towels in the bathroom.
    I've resorted to using the Pilot Frixion ballpoint pens. It works for the small characters on the prints I deal with.

Thanks

Side note... I love the drawing of a poppy on your sheet! It is very well done

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naimitsu For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 7th, 2016), KKay (March 8th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dam View Post
    It does look similar. Perhaps Sheaffer Skrip red has a shade more pink about it. I did some tests and Sheaffer took 2-3 seconds longer to dry. It might also be handy to do a price comparison per ml between the two, depending on where you live and how easy it is to get both brands.
    Thanks for the information! The price per ml is about the same in my part of the world. Once I run out of the Skrip, I just might give this one a shot!

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

I also like Poppy Red.

Red+Lady+by+https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus+on+@DeviantArt by Ptero Pterodactylus on DeviantArt

(Pelikan M205 - F ..... Diamine Poppy Red, Brush)

Quote+Alan+Moore+by+https://www.deviantart.com/ptero-pterodactylus+on+@DeviantArt by Ptero Pterodactylus on DeviantArt

(Pelikan M205 - F ..... Diamine Poppy Red)
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; November 29th, 2019 at 04:06 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

azkid (November 26th, 2019)