Thread: What pen should I get now?

Thanks

Default What pen should I get now?

So... I have just sold two of my Sheaffer fountain pens and want to move forward to the next one. I want to invite you to give some suggestions for my next purchase, if you're willing to.

I liked the size of the Sheaffer 300 and it was a very reliable pen. But it had a very rigid nib, the cap had it's black lacker coming out and it was a bit heavy, especially when capped. I would like something similar in size, preferably in black, with converter and a good reliable and springy nib. I don't want to spend more than 100 dollars. I have been considering a Parker Sonnet (don't know if I can get it by that price), an Italix Parsons Essential (not sure if the gold nib is worth the price difference), or others that you can suggest.

So, what would you recommend?

Thanks

Default Re: What pen should I get now?

I have the Parson's Essential with a steel M stub and it is a great pen. Well balanced, smooth, good line variation and a good price. I may be wrong but I think that the nibs can be swapped if you decide later that you want a gold nib.
    Some days, it's hardly worth chewing through the leather straps....

3. The Following User Says Thank You to oldstoat For This Useful Post:

victordomingos (March 7th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by oldstoat View Post
    I have the Parson's Essential with a steel M stub and it is a great pen. Well balanced, smooth, good line variation and a good price. I may be wrong but I think that the nibs can be swapped if you decide later that you want a gold nib.
    I have no experience with stub nibs, but I like the kind of line variation they give. Do you think it's a good nib for regular writing, like notes, or does the stub nib get in the way when you try to write faster?

Also, is the nib rigid like a nail, or it has some flexibility?

I like flexible nibs. I had a Sheaffer 100 and a Sheaffer 300 with fine nibs, but they were very rigid. However I own two Sheaffer Sagaris M and F, and both offer a little bit of "springyness" that I prefer. Not true flex, but still a bit of personality.

Thanks

Modern Sonnets (3rd and 4th generation) have nail like nibs it's only the first and second that have springy. I imagine that there are some Japanese pens with spring nib at that price but the only European ones I can think of are the M200 and the Diplomat Esteem. Truth is even through these nibs have a bit of give I wouldn't go flexing them as they aren't designed for it. If you were wondering I prefer the Esteem it's the comfortable pen and costs half the price.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to top pen For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by top pen View Post
    Modern Sonnets (3rd and 4th generation) have nail like nibs it's only the first and second that have springy. I imagine that there are some Japanese pens with spring nib at that price but the only European ones I can think of are the M200 and the Diplomat Esteem. Truth is even through these nibs have a bit of give I wouldn't go flexing them as they aren't designed for it. If you were wondering I prefer the Esteem it's the comfortable pen and costs half the price.
    Would you consider the Diplomat Esteem an elegant pen, comparable to a Sonnet, or is it more like a regular office pen, like a Parker IM, or a Lamy Safari?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by victordomingos View Post
    I have no experience with stub nibs, but I like the kind of line variation they give. Do you think it's a good nib for regular writing, like notes, or does the stub nib get in the way when you try to write faster?

Also, is the nib rigid like a nail, or it has some flexibility?

I like flexible nibs. I had a Sheaffer 100 and a Sheaffer 300 with fine nibs, but they were very rigid. However I own two Sheaffer Sagaris M and F, and both offer a little bit of "springyness" that I prefer. Not true flex, but still a bit of personality.
    The nib is nowhere near as rigid as the Sonnet, but not as soft as the vintage Sheaffers and Watermans. I don't know the Sagaris but that springiness is present in the PE. It's not a crisp italic, so the edges don't dig into the paper in the same way and fast note writing is no problem
    Some days, it's hardly worth chewing through the leather straps....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to oldstoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by victordomingos View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by top pen View Post
    Would you consider the Diplomat Esteem an elegant pen, comparable to a Sonnet, or is it more like a regular office pen, like a Parker IM, or a Lamy Safari?
    I've got both I like both almost equally. They are quite similar. I'd argue Esteem is a lower end pen then the Sonnet and occupies the transition between an entry level pen and a mid range pen. Comparable to a Lamy Studio in terms of build. The Sonnet does look at little more special and has a more elegant design. The Esteem is generally a bit cheaper £10-15 less I can't really separate the two though. You should easily be able to find a steel nibbed Sonnet for under $100.

I don't now if you have amazon in Portugal the better prices for both of these pens can be found there.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to top pen For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I will take a look at those options.

Yes we have Amazon.com in Portugal.

I am still very curious about the difference in performance between gold and steel in italix. One downside with gold is that they only have have them in medium, whereas in steel we can choose a stub for instance. Has anyone around here tryed both gold and steel Italix nibs?