Thread: Aurora Duocart And 888P Replacement Cartridges

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Aurora Duocart And 888P Replacement Cartridges

The cartridges for the Aurora DuoCart and 888P have not been made in many decades and the Platinum cartridges and converters usually work as a replacement. But not always. I have an 888P that had an air leak if used with the Platinum cartridges and converters; worked great except if I held the pen nib down drops of ink would just fall on the page. The modern Platinum cartridges/converters simply did not seal adequately.

In desperation I thought I'd try one of the $1.00 Platinum adapters that allow using standard international cartridges and converters in Platinum and Nakaya fountain pens. It's made of a fairly soft rubber like material.

I didn't expect much, it really should behave pretty much like all cartridges and converters, but instead, IT WORKS. No more drops. A cartridge fits with no problem. Most converter shafts are about a ¼" too long to fit in the body when using the adapter and so they may require slight modification.

But this certainly seems the best least expensive solution to get all those DuoCart and 888P pens back in service. I'll try to remember to get back in a few days with a longer term analysis.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

rogeliogarciac (April 7th, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Default Re: Aurora Duocart And 888P Replacement Cartridges

Very useful information, thanks Jar.
    It's always worth experimenting with converters isn't it. For example, after a few trials I found the Pilot Con-20 fitted my Geha Steno perfectly. Happy days :-)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Mr. Reader (March 29th, 2016)