Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are Aurora nibs known to be scratchy???

Thanks

Default Re: Are Aurora nibs known to be scratchy???

All my aurora 88s started out a bit scratchy, and I have been told that's fairly common. But two of them also started out bust, so I have had a bit of work to do...
    Last edited by amk; May 2nd, 2016 at 03:08 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    One of the smoothest nibs I have is on an Aurora Hastil.
    I'm with jar on this. Both of the two Aurora pens I've owned, a Hastil and a postmodern 88, came with entirely smooth nibs. It does seem to be rather often said that Aurora nibs give feedback, like it or not. My admittedly small sample doesn't bear that out.
    Last edited by Jerome Tarshis; April 1st, 2016 at 02:00 PM. Reason: to clarify meaning

Thanks

My Aurora 88 is very smooth, with just a touch of feedback to keep me from chasing the pen across the paper. In fact, it is my favorite nib of all the pens that I own.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Tarshis View Post
    I'm with jar on this. Both of the two Aurora pens I've owned, a Hastil and a postmodern 88, came with entirely smooth nibs. It does seem to be rather often said that Aurora nibs give feedback, like it or not. My admittedly small sample doesn't bear that out.
    Could this condition be age and model-dependent? Some years back it was (IIRC) the common opinion on FPN and Pentrace that Aurora nibs were toothy. Mine was, until it was adjusted a bit.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    Could this condition be age and model-dependent? Some years back it was (IIRC) the common opinion on FPN and Pentrace that Aurora nibs were toothy. Mine was, until it was adjusted a bit.

I've found that quite often common opinion is simply common opinion.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    Again, two pens are a very small sample. But in my case the condition doesn't seem to have been age- or model-dependent. The two pens were of different models. What's more, they were of different time periods. The Hastil, put forward in 1969 or 1970, belongs to the age of high modernism, and particularly of modernist reductive design. It's a very non-ornate pen. The other pen, the postmodern 88, a thing of the 1990s, quite abandons reductive design; it's supposed to look like pens made a long time earlier. On the inside it's a cartridge pen; on the outside it's one of a long line of black pens with gold trim and a cigar-like outline. And a spirit of ornament.

The idea I would put forward is that there just might be, at times, differences between individual pens.

Thanks

My 360 Monviso was quite toothy...I sent it to Mottishaw at nibs.com and it now is silky smooth.

Thanks

My 88 Medium has noticeable but pleasant (especially on Fabriano 85 gsm paper) feedback. Quite different from the feedback offered by Sailor 21k Hard-Broad or Pilot Falcon Soft-Fine. Unlike the Japanese, the Aurora nib exhibits consistent feedback regardless of the pen's roll/yaw.

Thanks

Yes, but much like platinum you either love it or hate it.

Thanks

I purchased an Aurora Ipsilon at a good price. The previous owner said the nib was scratchy. It was, in fact after writing awhile the top of the nib had paper 'shavings' (sorry the proper name escapes me) on it. Being left handed pushing the nib made it worse. Finally I had enough of it and decided to smoothen the nib. No way am I an expert however, it turned out reasonably well. My wife agreed with me also. I don't think any pen should be sold with a nib performing like it did. I don't expect perfection but reasonably smooth. Try gentle nib alignment and gentle smoothing and see what happens. If not, send it to an expert, pay for quality work or sell it.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I don't think any pen should be sold with a nib performing like it did.
    There *is* the possibility the previous owner tried to correct it and made it worse. You don't actually know how it was when it was first sold.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tertulluls View Post
    My Aurora 88 is very smooth, with just a touch of feedback to keep me from chasing the pen across the paper. In fact, it is my favorite nib of all the pens that I own.
    My experience as well. I bought mine a year ago from Dan Smith while sitting across the table from him while he worked on some of my other pens. He asked me if I wanted it smoothed, and I said I didn't. It had just enough surface to keep it from gliding like ice on a hot pan (which I don't care for). I have no complaints.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I don't think any pen should be sold with a nib performing like it did.
    There *is* the possibility the previous owner tried to correct it and made it worse. You don't actually know how it was when it was first sold.
    Jon, true, I never asked the previous owner if they did anything to the nib prior to me getting it. I was speaking in general.
    I meant to say but didn't say: I don't think any new pen should be sold wirh a nib performing like it did.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hawk For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (August 13th, 2017)

Thanks

Jon, true, I never asked the previous owner if they did anything to the nib prior to me getting it. I was speaking in general.
    I meant to say but didn't say: I don't think any new pen should be sold wirh a nib performing like it did.
    Right, I assumed as much but felt clarification would be good. And I agree: at least on upscale/major pens, the nib should perform well when received. <sigh> Not always the case, eh?

~ Benjamin Franklin

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Hawk (August 13th, 2017)

Thanks

Talking Re: Are Aurora nibs known to be scratchy???

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaDude View Post
    How is it the next day?
    Lol... The pens is slowly getting better...

Or were you making a joke 
    No joke. My experience is that often it takes a day or three for the user to adapt to a new pen. Fortunately humans are an adaptable multi-purpose tool.
    I agree...
    When I tasted something first time I did not like the the taste. but again and again I tasted it and my brain says I like this as I kow the taste already.
    I listened to some sounds ( Music ) first time it sounds to me "Bizzar" but after sometimes my mind says OH ... something familier I know sounds good.
    I wrote something and first time it did not plesed me at all as it was a new instument. I kept on wrting with that instrument and suddenly find myself it is giving me a new prospective to my writing.
    Now I know the secret. By the way .. I am going to buy a pair of new shoes and I am sure that is going to give me a new experience of new way of walking.