Thread: How to get rid of that "New Pen" smell?

Thanks

Default How to get rid of that "New Pen" smell?

So, I just got a Noodler's Neponset (Eider), which is made of Ebonite. I like the way it feels, the ebonite is hard, but still somehow has more "give" to it than, say, aluminum...it's incredibly comfortable to hold.

I only have one complaint...well, maybe two complaints...but probably just one...I don't know, y'all can decide.

The ebonite smells bad.

Like, a nasty rubbery smell that I pick up on when I unscrew the body to refill it and sometimes while I'm writing with it. How do I get rid of this smell? It's a $75 pen, which for me is a lot (I will never get on the $300+ pen bandwagon...too many other hobbies, lol) so I really hope there is a fix for this issue.

As for my other complaint...well, I also complained that I'm having trouble appreciating the music nib, but I don't think that is the pen's fault. Hence, not sure if it is a valid complaint, lol

Thanks

Default Re: How to get rid of that "New Pen" smell?

Have not yet had an ebonite pen, but I would suggest just taking it apart as far as you feel comfortable with. Sounds like to me the interior of the pen has not yet had a chance to rid itself of gasses from manufacture. Then leave it apart to air for a day or more. The rubber, that is what ebonite is, is off gassing sulfur most likely. Sulfur is used in the vulcanizing process. Let it air and most of the smell should diminish. Also a good cleaning with pen flush inside and out might help. But, I don't know the advisability of using pen flush with an ebonite pen so suggest some research on the topic before that attempt.

But I don't know that the smell will ever totally go away. It is hard rubber after all.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

With Noodler's ebonite (or even that acrylic they use which smells even worse when it's off gassing, like burnt latex), the smell may diminish over time, but never goes away completely.

some have suggested putting it into a box with some arm and hammer baking powder.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

It's a shame but don't let your experience with Noodler's stuff turn you off ebonite. It's a great material and most don't stink.

Thanks

I think Noodler's pens are manufactured in India aren't they? Pens from India have a rep for having a smell. Probably the plastic ones from petroleum based plastics and rubber from the sulfur used in vulcanizing. I suspect a wash and a good airing will get rid of most of it. But like KBeezie said, I don't know that the smell will ever totally go away.

A lot of ebonite pens are vintage so they have had many years to finish off gassing and probably have little to no smell. New made pens are just beginning the process so the smell is stronger.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    It's a shame but don't let your experience with Noodler's stuff turn you off ebonite. It's a great material and most don't stink.
    Two of mine are Ebonite (Japanese ebonite though, cured and urushi lacquered) but no smell at all not even from in the cap.

And when I had an FPR Triveni (used), nothing from that either.

And none of my vintage hard rubber has that smell (But they had years to off-gas if they did).

Thanks

Heard used tea bags absorb smells. Could try putting the pen in a bag with them and leaving it a few weeks. Trying that at the moment with a Caran d'ache Swiss wood pencil which stinks and gives me head head aches when I use it.

Thanks

I think sealing it up completely would just slow down off gassing. Maybe put it in a bag but leave it open maybe with the absorbent?

If you can put the pen parts in a partial vacuum, like from a food storage vacuum machine, in a jar. That would pull the gasses quicker. You would need to open the jar, daily probably and re-vacuum seal it. Lower vapor pressure = quicker off gassing.

Thanks

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I will try leaving it unassembled in a very drafty place for a week or so.

Thanks

Take and use it and it goes away with time, air and hand oils.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Unless you're one of those people that get nauseated by that specific smell.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Unless you're one of those people that get nauseated by that specific smell.
    Ok use it outside then.
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mags For This Useful Post:

Dreck (March 12th, 2016)

Thanks

When the farmers in my area fertilize their fields, it can get particularly bad. I get a pair of ear plugs and put them in my nostrils - it looks silly but it works!
    That would work for your pen problem too.

You might try your hand at lacquering the pen. You don't have to get this fancy but... edisonpen.com-urushi-herald-project-2
    Last edited by xhomerx10; March 12th, 2016 at 08:26 PM. Reason: additional info

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by xhomerx10 View Post
    When the farmers in my area fertilize their fields, it can get particularly bad. I get a pair of ear plugs and put them in my nostrils - it looks silly but it works!
    That would work for your pen problem too.

You might try your hand at lacquering the pen. You don't have to get this fancy but... edisonpen.com-urushi-herald-project-2
    Yep, know what you mean. I grew up surrounded by dairy farms. It got ripe certain times of the year LOL.

Thanks

I've had the new pen smell with ebonite, acrylic and metal pens. The first one is ebonite smell of the sulfur compounds and with time will go away, the second was from solvent off gas and just like a new car it will go away. The third was because of the lubricant used for the clip fears and I had to sell that one as the smell never seemed to weaken
    Be Here Now

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

I love the smell. Bottle it and send it to me: I miss it from my two older Konrads.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Armstrong View Post
    I think Noodler's pens are manufactured in India aren't they? Pens from India have a rep for having a smell. Probably the plastic ones from petroleum based plastics and rubber from the sulfur used in vulcanizing. I suspect a wash and a good airing will get rid of most of it. But like KBeezie said, I don't know that the smell will ever totally go away.
    Not all indian made pens smell like that.
    If you take ASA's, for exemple, they hardly smell, and if you let them outside your pen box, the smell will go away in 2 or 3 days.
    Likewise for Guider, Kim, Ratnamson and Deccan.

If you get one of those Click ebonite pens (I think Neponset is made with the same ebonite), it stinks awfully. However, even those, if let in open air, will have the smell subdued, but in several weeks.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpagan For This Useful Post:

Armstrong (March 13th, 2016)

Thanks

Good info, thanks!

Thanks

I just bought an ASA second hand but still not too old. It was without any smell. It was cured in its first home before I adopted it.