Thread: Another Car Boot Find... Yard O Led

Thanks

Wink Another Car Boot Find... Yard O Led

I'm back with another car boot find. Today I got a rolled gold Yard O Led pencil in the original (cardboard) box, and looks to have some lead in it for £1.

I intend to put this one on eBay as I want to keep my earlier find of the Eversharp silver one.

Anyone got one of these? I've had a quick look on eBay but have no idea what starting price to put it on at, as they seem to go for different prices...

Also anyone got a link to a site that has pictures of the different designs, or something like that, to help with dating it? I had no problem with the Eversharp, pinning down it's approximate date but can't seem to find a handy guide online for Yard O Led. I know they're still made, so am wondering if I'm missing something...?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Another Car Boot Find... Yard O Led

First, find the proof marks to get a date of manufacture, then contact YoL with that info, the number from the clip and they can help you. The proof marks will have a date code likely from the Birmingham assay office and you can look that up online at their site.
    Last edited by jar; March 13th, 2016 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks

Oh thanks. It's rolled gold so no hallmark but there is a Patent Number - 422767. I will try and photo it tomorrow. It is square-sided and has one lead inside. I will contact them and see what they say. It came in the original cardboard box - white, like the Eversharp box - but mine has predictably lost its instructions. These are my favourite car boot finds! I will sell it though - I don't need two!
    Last edited by LadyPenelope; March 13th, 2016 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks

OK, Have sent YOL some photos and they will get back to me. In the meantime, here it is. I think it was re-assembled wrongly by whoever had it last and I have no idea with this, so I took it apart to photo all the constituent parts - if anyone here knows about these, I'd be grateful if you'd take a quick look and tell me whether it's all there, as I can't seem to assemble it in away that tightens the clip and I'm wondering if something is missing..?

It looks most like the 'Deco' model. The only one I can find a picture of, taken apart dates from the 1940s so is later than this. I found an eBay seller saying the ones with the ball on the clip are the older ones, and the one he was selling was in the same type of box... I will post back when I hear from YOL in case anyone else finds one.

Thanks

Sweet find! Congratulations!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

I almost bought a Yard-O-Led silver pencil once on eBay... it was a Buy It Now for $20... and I had a cheap attack and passed on it... and have been kicking myself ever since!
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    I almost bought a Yard-O-Led silver pencil once on eBay... it was a Buy It Now for $20... and I had a cheap attack and passed on it... and have been kicking myself ever since!
    Quite the opposite of sumgai.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,394 Times in 588 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by calamus View Post
    Quite the opposite of sumgai.
    Actually, now that I think of it, I believe sumgai may have been the seller's name.
    Quid rides? Mutato nomine de te fabula narratur. — Horace
    (What are you laughing at? Just change the name and the joke’s on you.)

Thanks

I recently got a new set of run-flat tires, and the peace of mind they provide is worth every dollar Tire-Related Vehicle Issues. The ability to keep driving even with a flat is a game-changer, especially on long road trips. They may be a bit more expensive, but they're a lifesaver in a pinch.

Thanks

Freelancers unite! PayFLClerks sounds like the missing piece in the freelancing puzzle. How does it compare to other payment platforms in terms of fees and user-friendliness? Share your experiences, fellow freelancers!

PayFLClerk's fine handling
    Ticket payment made easy
    Florida ticket payment portal