Thread: John Mottishaw - nibs.com

Thanks

Default John Mottishaw - nibs.com

I have tried every nibmeister I have heard of and have put John on the top of my list.

I had ordered a Nakaya Bamboo Wind from him at the NY/NJ show in 2008. When I received the pen, on Wednesday, it had a gold nib when I had ordered a bicolor nib with a custom CI fine grind. I called and spoke to Jonella and told her about the mistake and that I was leaving on vacation that Saturday. I really wanted to take the pen with me to show off to a friend I was going to see. Once she verified the error she asked me to overnight the pen to them so they colud exchange the nibs. She asked me to try the nib that was on the pen to make sure I liked the grind, which was perfect.

That was late Wednesday afternoon, on Friday I had the pen back withe the new nib and a refund of my shipping charges.

While I would expect anyone I had ordered a pen from to make the order right. I think they went way above expectations to have the pen back in my possession in two days considering I lve in NJ and they are in CA.

John has also done extensive research on nib tipping material. Check out his site under the information, nib articles section. There is some very impressive information there.

He is also one of the few "nibmeisters" that can replce the tipping on a nib. I find it hard to grant someone the title of "nibmeister" if they can't retip a nib. Anyone can grind and smooth a nib, even I can do that, and I am far from a "nibmeister."

The only caveat with sending John a pen to work on is the backlog. As of today, they have an 8 month turnaround estimate. That might have something to do with the quality of work he does. It's even more surprising since you don't see "Mottishawed" on every other used pen for sale. I think that has to do with the fact that once he modifies a nib for you, there's notmuch of a chance you'll be selling that pen to someone else.

Bottom line - He does exemplary work and offers great service.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 439 Posts

Default Re: John Mottishaw - nibs.com

Every nibmeister you have heard of? Who all would that be and have you had similar services preformed by each to create a fair comparison?

Sent from my Sprint HTC Hero using Tapatalk.

Thanks

The list of "nibmeisters" I have heard of (not intended to be an all inclusive list), tried and performed nib grinding to CI and or Stub:
    (in alphabetical order)

Richard Binder
    Mike Masuyama
    Greg Minuskin
    John Mottishaw

These are the people I have heard of referred to as "nibmeisters". I have had work done by others that haven't been referred to in that way but are not included in the list.

If you know of any others please list them and I will give them a shot. John's backlog is rediculously long and while he does great work in my opinion I don't have that kind of patience. Instant gratification takes too long.