Thread: Any advice for my first vintage Waterman?

Thanks

Default Any advice for my first vintage Waterman?

I've read most of Maurico's guides already. Any more advice for my incoming flex lever filler?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bluesea For This Useful Post:

rpsyed (March 18th, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: Any advice for my first vintage Waterman?

Have you chosen one already? My second vintage flex pen was a cardinal Waterman 52V with a great flexy nib, but not a wet noodle, by any means. The 52 series are very thin but still comfortable. If you are wanting to buy restored from a dealer, I'd highly recommend Peyton Street Pens. The pens are priced reasonably and Teri is very honest and doesn't exaggerate how flexible the nib will be.

Looking forward to seeing what you pick! =]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to rpsyed For This Useful Post:

bluesea (March 18th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rpsyed View Post
    Have you chosen one already? My second vintage flex pen was a cardinal Waterman 52V with a great flexy nib, but not a wet noodle, by any means. The 52 series are very thin but still comfortable. If you are wanting to buy restored from a dealer, I'd highly recommend Peyton Street Pens. The pens are priced reasonably and Teri is very honest and doesn't exaggerate how flexible the nib will be.

Looking forward to seeing what you pick! =]

I ordered a 52 1/2V Cardinal Red, from Peyton Street Pens. Not my first choice in Waterman pen models, due to the narrowness of the barrel, but I mainly chose it for the nib. There's a chance it might be too advanced for my writing pressure right now, but I think it'll work out as I can write a page with a wooden pencil no problem. Plus you have to start somewhere.

Nib FLEXIBLE FINE gold Waterman's #2 nib. It's quite smooth with excellent tipping material. It's just about what we would call fully flexible, with easy line variation from extra fine to a nice large broad under very little pressure. See our writing sample below.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bluesea For This Useful Post:

rpsyed (March 20th, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluesea View Post

I ordered a 52 1/2V Cardinal Red, from Peyton Street Pens. Not my first choice in Waterman pen models, due to the narrowness of the barrel, but I mainly chose it for the nib. There's a chance it might be too advanced for my writing pressure right now, but I think it'll work out as I can write a page with a wooden pencil no problem. Plus you have to start somewhere.

Nib FLEXIBLE FINE gold Waterman's #2 nib. It's quite smooth with excellent tipping material. It's just about what we would call fully flexible, with easy line variation from extra fine to a nice large broad under very little pressure. See our writing sample below.
    Yeah, that's true. I've only owned three vintage flex pens and they've all been very small and slender. The first was a Morrison with a wonderful nib, Waterman 52V with a nice flexy nib, and then a ringtop Wahl silver-filled metal pen from Minuskin's website with a semi-flex nib. I've gifted them to friends as I didn't use them too often and don't have the handwriting to really show the nibs off.

Nice! Teri is usually very conservative in describing flex. If Teri calls it 'fully flexible,' I'm sure it'll impress. Looking forward to seeing writing samples =]