Thread: Definition of Christian

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Default Re: Definition of Christian

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    A deist
    Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    A Unitarian (in the original sense of the term, before Unitarian Universalism and other digressions).
    What is the difference between these two? For example, is one more secular than the other?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,332 Times in 1,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post

A Unitarian (in the original sense of the term, before Unitarian Universalism and other digressions).
    What is the difference between these two? For example, is one more secular than the other?
    Unitarians originally were Christian denominations that didn't acknowledge the trinity doctrine (i.e.: only God was divine). Deists acknowledge a supernatural "creator" without practicing a specific religion or denomination thereof.

"Unitarian" now usually refers to "Unitarian Universalist", which is essentially "deist".

Thanks

Unitarians originally were Christian denominations that didn't acknowledge the trinity doctrine (i.e.: only God was divine). Deists acknowledge a supernatural "creator" without practicing a specific religion or denomination thereof.

"Unitarian" now usually refers to "Unitarian Universalist", which is essentially "deist".
    I am thinking I resemble the Deist the most. Thomas Jefferson and many of our Founding Fathers were purported to be Deists so I guess I'm in good company although I thought Deism was extinct. So closest modern equivalent would be Unitarian Universalist? That's interesting. I didn't know there was a distinction between Unitarian and Unitarian Universalist.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,332 Times in 1,338 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RNHC View Post

I am thinking I resemble the Deist the most. Thomas Jefferson and many of our Founding Fathers were purported to be Deists so I guess I'm in good company although I thought Deism was extinct. So closest modern equivalent would be Unitarian Universalist? That's interesting. I didn't know there was a distinction between Unitarian and Unitarian Universalist.
    I don't think Deism is extinct, but its not like you're going to find any "Deist Church" around the next block or anywhere in history since rejection of organized religion seems to be a key tenant.

Unitarianism was originally a Christian doctrine, as was Universalism. The American Unitarian Association and Universalist Church merged, and the resulting Unitarian Universalism has become so theologically/philosophically liberal that it doesn't really mean anything other than some nebulous sort of spiritualism.

Emerson (a Unitarian minister at one time) displays the "God or Nature" (a concept originally described by Spinoza) line of thinking in his essays - which is a very deist way of thinking. Confusing, I know...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

RNHC (March 24th, 2016)