Page 47 of 49 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 LastLast

Thread: Definition of Christian

Thanks

Default Re: Definition of Christian

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kazoolaw View Post
    Using Google, I entered the search term |"biblical republic" + johnson| Apparently this is the quote generating the "biblical republic" term:

"You know, we don’t live in a democracy because a democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what’s for dinner. OK? It’s not just majority rule. It’s a constitutional republic. The founders set that up because they followed the biblical admonition of what a civil society is supposed to look like. What’s happened, Alex, over the last 60 or 70 years, is that our generation has been convinced that there is a separation of church and state. Most people think that that’s part of the Constitution, but it’s not. Remember, I’m a constitutional lawyer.” – Newly elected House Speaker Mike Johnson, in a 2016 interview. (emphasis added)

Johnson seems to know little about the earlier constitutions or the Founders, who wrote the Declaration and led the US to Independence, or the Framers, who wrote the Federal Constitution.
    "Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim the tribute of patriotism, who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness, these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. The mere politician, equally with the pious man, ought to respect and to cherish them. A volume could not trace all their connections with private and public felicity. Let it simply be asked: Where is the security for property, for reputation, for life, if the sense of religious obligation desert the oaths which are the instruments of investigation in courts of justice ? And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion. Whatever may be conceded to the influence of refined education on minds of peculiar structure, reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principle."
    -George Washington's Farewell Address

“Our constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”
    -John Adams, Letter from John Adams to Massachusetts Militia, 11 October 1798

Those pesky Founding Fathers and their inconvenient truths.

Thanks

More inconvenient truths, Washington owned 137 humans.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post

I believe that Johnson does know what he is talking about. Here, he is dissembling. Like many ambitious politicians, he is a bullshitter. I am not going to bother to explain his dissembling and dodging and mixing of terms and definitions (his bullshit isn't worth it). But I think that he knows exactly what the Constitutional truth is and how his statement is an act of mis-direction and forkedtonguery. He is just willing to dissemble to serve his vision of a nation and set of laws based in Christian principles (his version of them, anyway).
    Reading between the lines:

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post

I believe that Johnson does know what he is talking about. {blah-blah-blah}dissembling. {blah-blah-blah}bullshitter. I am not going to bother to explain his dissembling and dodging and mixing of terms and definitions {because a week later I still won't cite any specifics.} {blah-blah-blah}mis-direction and forkedtonguery. He is just willing ...to serve his vision of a nation and set of laws based in Christian principles {which I disagree with but won't state here}
    But we can see that he got the Constitutional republic part correct, eh?

Thanks

Kaz, provide us with with your definition of a constitution republic.

Thanks

Chuck, are you going to answer my question from Post 908?

For ease of reference and for this discussion, I generally agree that a constitutional republic
    is “a government which derives all its powers directly or indirectly from the great body of the people, and is administered by persons holding their offices…for a limited period, or during good behavior.” A constitutional republic follows a written constitution of laws by which the people, their representatives, and the government agree to abide. A republic differs from a pure or direct democracy, as Madison explains in Federalist Paper 14, which is governed directly by the whole body of citizens who “meet and exercise the government in person.”

Thanks

I’ll answer any spirituality based question regarding Jesus.

Thanks

Does the Jesus of the Bible reflect your worldview?

Thanks

He did describe how the world works, if that’s your question. If people would do what he prescribed, it would be transformative in that we would learn how to live life well.

Thanks

Nope, not my question.
    I’ll check back if you decide to answer the entire question.

Thanks

I answered as I interpreted the question. It was oddly presented, but I took a chance.

Thanks

Still dodging.

Thanks

Yes.

Thanks

I read this from HCR this morning. I have a question after the quote.

"Tim Dickinson of Rolling Stone reported today that one of those MAGA Republicans, House speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA), spoke freely Tuesday night at the Museum of the Bible in Washington, D.C., at a celebration for the National Association of Christian Lawmakers. Although the address was being livestreamed, Johnson apparently believed he was speaking privately. He told the audience that the Lord called him to be “a new Moses.”

Johnson, an evangelical Christian, told the audience that the U.S. is “engaged in a battle between worldviews” and “a great struggle for the future of the Republic.” He said he believed far-right Christians would prevail.

Did Jesus or any of the apostles ever say anything resembling these remarks from Johnson?

Any reader of history knows various world views have always existed. There were several world views present when Jesus walked in Palestine. Did he ever try to simplify the world view into one? What he did is to let others know the Kingdom of God was now an option. Those that did followed and those that didn't, didn't.
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

Thanks

Jesus did not teach that all worldviews would blend into one, but that there would a battle.
    Jesus spoke of Christians being hated, persecuted, and put to death.
    Jesus spoke of foes of Christians being within their own families.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,279 Posts

Jesus did not teach that all worldviews would blend into one, but that there would a battle.
    Chuck, I think I found you a better mentor.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

What battle do you think Jesus was referring? Was it a physical or spiritual battle. It would help if you would post the verses you have in mind.

Why would Christians be hated?

Why would families turn on their Christian relatives?

I am trying to understand your point in posting what you did in response to the Mike Johnson's quote. Mike Johnson is trying to force his religion on everyone. Do you think Jesus intent was to make everyone follow his teachings whether they were Christians or not. Would you want to be under the rules of a religion for which you did not agree?
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Chuck, I think I found you a better mentor.
    No, I'm good....LOL!!

Thanks

For example, Jesus knew that if one were to become his student, they would suffer because they would live their lives as he would if he were them. They would come to act as he did. We need to be reminded that Jesus suffered because he came up against the Jewish politics of his day. Those Jewish leaders had control and Jesus was a threat. He said that unless your being right exceeds that of the Scribes and Pharisees, you can't get in on what the Father is doing. Just like him, when you begin to talk about what he said within the Evangelical communities in the US, you might be asked to leave. They have invented a religion and now must live with it. This was true in Jesus' day and we know what happened.

No where does Jesus say to impose what he prescribed upon those that aren't interested. He didn't push. His message was not "go to heaven when you die". His message are that the Kingdom of God was now within the grasp of anyone whose intent was to take it into their lives.

The scriptures are compiled in a handbook produced by believers for believers. Thinking it is a prescription for the unaffiliated has led to all sorts of problems.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    What battle do you think Jesus was referring? Was it a physical or spiritual battle. It would help if you would post the verses you have in mind.

Why would Christians be hated?

Why would families turn on their Christian relatives?
    Let's take your questions in two parts.

Verses referred to include:
    "Think not that I am come to send peace on the earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword..."
    Matt 10:34-36. See also, Matt 10:21-23.
    "And you shall be betrayed both by parents, and brethren..."
    Luke 21:16-17. See also, Mark 13:12.

There is certainly a spiritual battle and, to the extent believers are beaten and killed, a physical battle.

Christians are hated because for believing and following Jesus:
    "You will be hated by all because of My name..." Matt 10:21
    "If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you..." John 15:18-19
    Christians are hated by some as heretics.

Families turn on Christian family members for some of the same reasons that others do: rejecting Jesus teaching "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one come to the Father but through Me." (John 14:6), being called to a different life style, different cultures, not wanting to be told there is evil and sin in the world, not wanting to be "told what to do,"
    etc

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I am trying to understand your point in posting what you did in response to the Mike Johnson's quote. Mike Johnson is trying to force his religion on everyone. Do you think Jesus intent was to make everyone follow his teachings whether they were Christians or not. Would you want to be under the rules of a religion for which you did not agree?
    Part 2

I have seen nothing that indicates to me that Michael Johnson is "trying to force his religion on everyone.
    The claimed "biblical republic" quote turns out to have been a reference to a "constitutional republic." I've pointed this out in Post 913 above. And outlined what I think a constitutional republic is in Post 925.

Some of those on the left are aghast and agog at the mention of God and religion by someone holding public office. For years God was a routine part of public discourse. For example the following from a highly thought of political figure after listing a number of blessings upon America:
    "No human counsel hath devised nor hath any mortal hand worked out these great things. They are the gracious gifts of the Most High God, who, while dealing with us in anger for our sins, hath nevertheless remembered mercy... And I recommend to them that while offering up the ascriptions justly due to Him for such singular deliverances and blessings, they do also, with humble penitence for our national perverseness and disobedience, commend to His tender care all those who have become widows, orphans, mourners or sufferers in the lamentable civil strife in which we are unavoidably engaged, and fervently implore the interposition of the Almighty Hand to heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquillity and Union."

Back to Jesus, it was His desire that all would believe. He knew that not everyone would, but each of us has that choice.