Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: What should be the goal of education?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,187 Times in 1,417 Posts

Default Re: What should be the goal of education?

Whatever the "purpose" is, a judge in NH just ruled that the state *method* and *amount* of funding violates the state's constitution:

This is probably behind a paywall, I guess:
    https://www.seacoastonline.com/story...utm_term=adhoc

Thanks

My *education* this morning was to learn that "rizz" is the Oxford University Press word of the year.

Thanks

There is a renewed debate now on some (many?) college campuses about the rights of expression and protest and the proper limits of restraint on harrasment, intimidation, and threats of violence (actual acts of violence are already against the law).

https://thehill.com/homenews/educati...cide-blowback/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,266 Posts

Ya think?

Maybe it was that congressional testimony from the presidents of Harvard, Penn and MIT? The one the UPenn president just released a video backpedaling on?

Billionaire donors like investor Bill Ackman are posting their opinion (and notice that their donations are cancelled) publicly on social media. Long form paragraph posts and sharing of letters to his alma mater's president.

Legacy media is nothing but narratives, and 24 hours behind the news cycle you can observe directly, in near real time.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

Here's Albert Bourla, of Pfizer:

I was ashamed to hear the recent testimony of 3 top university presidents. In my personal opinion, it was one of the most despicable moments in the history of U.S. academia. The 3 Presidents were offered numerous opportunities to condemn racist, antisemitic, hate rhetoric and refused doing so hiding behind calls for “context.” The memories of my father’s parents, Abraham and Rachel Bourla, his brother David and his little sister Graciela, who all died in Auschwitz, came to mind. I was wondering if their deaths would have provided enough “context” to these presidents to condemn the Nazis' antisemitic propaganda.
    The universities are out of control, and Wokedom Inc. took a big hit to their profitability.

What's delicious is that the people who've spent a decade calling everyone a Nazi, or "literally Hitler"; are the ones approving the calls for genocide of Jews.

Lefties are insane. You can't make this stuff up.

Thanks

A report said Princeton could pay off any student debt, and offer free tuition without exhausting its endowment. Reuters reports Harvard’s endowment at over $50 billion, immune from donor boycotts.
    Time, instead, to move their donations to other institutions, perhaps like Hillsdale College.

Thanks

The implication being that the woke folks are sitting on a pile of cash and immune to repercussion?

Anybody is one good civil suit away from financial ruin. I suspect endowments are too.

I wonder if the Jewish people those presidents are ok with advocating the genocide of know any good lawyers.

Is Jewish lawyer even a thing?
    Last edited by dneal; December 7th, 2023 at 12:01 PM.

Thanks

Not that broad a statement. But $50B in reserve wouldn’t make me shiver about a disgruntled donor.
    But even with civil suits insurance coverage eases the pain.

Thanks

A class action lawsuit for asian discrimination could put an endowment at considerable risk.

Thanks

Given reports of literacy rates of less than 30% at grade level, and math rates below 25%, a return to the basics is in order.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kazoolaw For This Useful Post:

dneal (December 7th, 2023)

Thanks

Prominent donor Ross Stevens threatened to claw back a $100 million donation. The university’s board of trustees held an emergency meeting Thursday. And the powerful Wharton Board of Advisors that leads the university’s prominent business school called for a leadership change at the university.

Magill remained president after the hastily arranged board gathering concluded Thursday, a source familiar with the proceedings told CNN. But Magill faced a rebellion from Wharton’s Board of Advisors, and a growing coalition of donors, politicians and business leaders who denounced her testimony.
    I doubt that endowments will protect university presidents.

Thanks

And I have to think that $100M would make anyone at least blink, endowment notwithstanding.

Thanks

UPenn president Liz Magill has resigned - per letter from Scott Bok - Chair, Board of Trustees

-edit-

And now Chair Scott Bok has resigned too.
    Last edited by dneal; December 9th, 2023 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks

Interesting opinion piece today in the NYT by James Kirchik, calling for the abolishment of all speech restrictions on college campuses (except for those already in the criminal code). I pretty much agree with him. (This does not apply to targeted harrasment cases, etc). One problem I see, though, is that colleges also enroll minors (persons under 18), and to some degree these institutions must take into account that they have minors on their campuses and may have (I am not a lawyer) duties and responsibilities toward their protection and welfare that exceed those toward the adults on their campuses. I don't know. My sense is that the 17/18 year-old-divide can have serious legal ramifications, however. Kirchik does not address this in any way in the piece. I would also imagine that private institutions could have more speech control, should they wish it, than publically funded institutions (again, I am not a lawyer). Anyway, I have felt for some time that colleges have been going too far with this. But I entered college in the late 1970s, and there were protests and sit-ins and sparring going on between the university newspaper and the president and the board frequently. It was not all pleasant, polite, respectful, or fair. It was robust.

Thanks

Antisemitism discussions reminds me of racism discussions where various definitions abound.

Thanks

Given Harvard’s ranking as worst for student free speech and open inquiry, it’s difficult to see how it could honestly make that kind of transition.

https://rankings.thefire.org/rank

Thanks

Does 'calling for the genocide of _____' fall foul of your institution's code of conduct?

a. Jews
    b. Blacks
    c. Hispanics
    d. Gays
    e. Transgender
    f. Everything but Jews, you alt-right Nazi.
    Last edited by dneal; December 13th, 2023 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks

Harvard president Claudine Gay is apparently a well-documented plagiarist. Half of her 11 published papers, and even her award-winning dissertation.

Certainly not the goal of education, I think.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Harvard president Claudine Gay is apparently a well-documented plagiarist. Half of her 11 published papers, and even her award-winning dissertation.

Certainly not the goal of education, I think.
    The President of Stanford University (an equivalent, venerable bastion of left leaning loonies) was recently fired for "plagiarism." His was, by any measure, a much less flagrant example of plagiarism.

Thanks

WaPo article (gifted) examining why (multiple reasons) elite universities are being attacked by the GOP (and Trump).

https://wapo.st/46VX1hv

I wonder how many of these persons either attended elite private colleges and/or sent their children to one. But that is a side point....

As I have stated elsewhere here, I have long felt that universities have been too squeamish about diversity of opinion around culture, politics, and law. And I actually agree with the movement to tax the wealthiest of them, but I disagree with the exemption for religious universities.