Thread: Cahier Journals

Thanks

Default Cahier Journals

For years I have seen three packs of cahier journals (Moleskine) and have wondered what they are, how they are used. What I mean is, they look like they can be fit into some sort of cover (mostly due to their plain appearance) and wonder how these are used. Are they stand-alone thin journals? Do they take well to fountain pen ink? I have used Moleskine and Piccadilly journals for years.

How are these journals typically used? Are they housed in a case?

I know this is a stupid question. I've been curious about this for years.

Thanks

Default Re: Cahier Journals

I recently started using the Cahiers and yes, I put them in a Midori style cover I made which is larger to fit the Cahier size.

While I am new to cahiers, I am not new to moleskine. Moleskine is generally not considered to be awesome paper and you will see bleed through with wetter inks or sometimes even with medium or wider nibs. This doesn't bother me and I find myself going back to my moleskines after trying out Rhodia and Clairfontaine which just feel too slick to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,290 Times in 837 Posts

There are lots of leather and non leather journal covers now to put the cashiers in. The 3.5 x 5.5 size is most know in Field Notes but the size is great. You can certainly use them alone without a cover but many use a cover as they can house 3-4 journals.

The size is common among MANY manufacturers so getting good paper anywhere is easy. The Midori sizes never thrilled me though I love all the cool stuff they have for their eco-system. The paper though... I just don't like and nothing else but Midori really fits right.

Thanks

I use a couple of different types of leather covers, made by Fenner Crafts here in the UK. One is the Midori-style and the other just a simple leather cover which will take two cahier books or one volant. I don't have any issues with Moleskine paper - just use suitable inks!
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TooLoose View Post
    Are they stand-alone thin journals?

How are these journals typically used? Are they housed in a case?
    I use these and similarly sized notebooks (JetPens Tomoe River, Field Notes, &c) as stand-alone "wheelbooks" to capture information through out the day. They are small enough to slip unobtrusively into a jacket pocket and always have available. I don't feel that they need a cover.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chemyst For This Useful Post:

distracted_mom (March 27th, 2016)

Thanks

I have used Moleskine's regular notebooks but have not been totally satisfied with how the ink took to paper in those. Thanks for this useful information, and I'll explore some of the other notebooks mentioned here.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TooLoose For This Useful Post:

akapulko2020 (December 11th, 2016)

Thanks

Not knowing what a "Midori style" notebook is, I checked online and found this YouTube video on how to make a traveler notebook from scratch, in case anybody is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCYAnmQnn6w

And listed alongside the video, I see that a number of others have made similar 'how-to' videos. I bet most of you already know how to do these. While I have been using fountain pens for many years, I am new to the periphery items.
    Last edited by TooLoose; March 28th, 2016 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Add more info