Thread: Masuyama Needlepoint Flex? Thoughts and/or writing samples

Thanks

Default Masuyama Needlepoint Flex? Thoughts and/or writing samples

So I'm thinking about having Mike Masuyama do a needlepoint flex grind on my Pilot 823. I was wondering if anyone has had this grind done and your thoughts on it. Also wouldnt mind a writing sample if you had it. I'm not looking for "flex" pen writing just a little bit of line variation and some spring/bounce.

Thanks

Default Re: Masuyama Needlepoint Flex? Thoughts and/or writing samples

My wife has a Mike Masuyama ground needlepoint in HPS (i.e. stainless steel) from Franklin-Christoph. Both she and I agree that it is remarkably smooth, despite its 0.1 mm line. It feels a lot like a Sailor EF nib to me - not quite as fine as a Sai-Bi Togi though.
    Guessing from my experience with Pilot nibs similar to those used in the Custom 823, I'd assume that it would feel springy, or slightly soft without mushiness, but not flex much for line variation. Beware though: with such a fine nib as a needlepoint, even the slightest flexing leads to an extremely narrow support area, and the nib may feel rough and even catch the paper. Superfine nibs are one type that I prefer to be firm for that reason, since they are otherwise not easily used for casual writing. If you want a better combo of flex and fineness, an EF in a Falcon might be better suited. It is extremely fine, and suitable for flexing.
    The needlepoint in a soft nib would in my experience be a highly specialized nib. I would definitely discuss it with Mr. Masuyama first. (Please note that he has for a while been not taking new orders since he had to attend to some family affairs in Japan due to a death.)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    I would definitely discuss it with Mr. Masuyama first. (Please note that he has for a while been not taking new orders since he had to attend to some family affairs in Japan due to a death.)
    *nod* I'll be getting it done at the Atlanta FP show that he is registered for.

Thanks for the thoughts about the flex and needing stability. I also might be looking to pick up a Franklin-Christoph pen at the show I could always snag one of those with the Masuyama needlepoint and then have another grind done to the 823 ... maybe a cursive italic.
    Last edited by Wrathen; March 24th, 2016 at 03:45 PM.

Thanks

I've had the F-C Masuyama HPS Needlepoint and can say it's definitely a needlepoint in name only. F-C lists its size as .25mm, which seems to concur with my hands on impressions. Mine wrote a decidedly broader line than either the Salior, Platinum, or Pilot extra-fine and was a bit wider in width to the Platinum fine as well. For what it is the F-C Masuyama Needlepoint is what I would consider a highly recommended Japanese style fine nib.