Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uuuhh, pen doesn't fit in ink bottle madness, its starting to get to me

Thanks

Default Re: Uuuhh, pen doesn't fit in ink bottle madness, its starting to get to me

Diamine 30ml bottles have the same issue with M1000. I found these airtight jars, bought a few and put my diamine inks in there:
    http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/single-h...ml/611785-1000
    The diamine sticker (with the ink name) also peals nicely off the top of the bottle and sticks onto the jar. Works wonderfully.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to billy1380 For This Useful Post:

Jolltax (April 1st, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: Uuuhh, pen doesn't fit in ink bottle madness, its starting to get to me

If you pour some fine, clean sand into your half empty (e.g.) Diamine 30 ml bottle, the ink level will rise (and the bottle will stand more stable).

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gert55 View Post
    If you pour some fine, clean sand into your half empty (e.g.) Diamine 30 ml bottle, the ink level will rise (and the bottle will stand more stable).
    However, on the flip side you may transfer some very fine sand particles into your pen.....
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Dreck (December 23rd, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

Think of the damage to the inside surfaces of the barrel and the piston of a piston-filler from fine sand particles, especially from quarried pulverized sand. I suppose marbles would work, but decanting into vials works best for me.
    Last edited by FredRydr; December 23rd, 2019 at 06:30 PM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

aurore (December 27th, 2019), Dreck (December 23rd, 2019)

Thanks

You are hitting the reason I gave up on ink samples! The little tiny amount needs lots of acrobatics to fill a pen... I also seem to have no luck trying to fill a vanishing point/ Decimo/ Femto finally gave up and just pull the converter out and fill it before re-assembly.

This is the one reason I look longlingly at the Akerman inkwell. And the V- word travelling inkwell.

Doesn't someone make a cheapscate inkwell that sort of looks like an eyecup. Decant the ink into that, fill up the pen. Wish I could remember which website I saw them on...bet it's a Noodlers item.
    Last edited by Cayce04; December 23rd, 2019 at 06:03 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,121 Times in 426 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cayce04 View Post

Doesn't someone make a cheapscate inkwell that sort of looks like an eyecup. Decant the ink into that, fill up the pen. Wish I could remember which website I saw them on...bet it's a Noodlers item.
    Do you mean an Ink Miser/Ink Shot? You can buy a clear one for a whole $6.00 US at Pen Chalet. There's even a video there on how to use it. I use one for certain large pens *cough* Pilot Custom 912 *cough* that has a tricky converter that needs lots of elbow room to fill.

Linky: https://www.penchalet.com/pen_access...t_inkwell.html
    Last edited by junglejim; December 23rd, 2019 at 07:39 PM. Reason: spelling, as usual
    Bucket list - walk the Camino de Santiago again

10. The Following User Says Thank You to junglejim For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 24th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,500 Posts

That's cool, junglejim! A miniature conical beaker.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 24th, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayce04 View Post

Do you mean an Ink Miser/Ink Shot? You can buy a clear one for a whole $6.00 US at Pen Chalet. There's even a video there on how to use it. I use one for certain large pens *cough* Pilot Custom 912 *cough* that has a tricky converter that needs lots of elbow room to fill.

Linky: https://www.penchalet.com/pen_access...t_inkwell.html
    That's great junglejim. Thank you. I'm putting it on my list to buy during my next trip. However, it says that black is a Special Order. I need to check how long it takes to get one.
    Last edited by Chrissy; December 24th, 2019 at 08:03 AM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

The insert in the old Sailor Jentle bottles works in much the same way. Realistically holds about 1.5 ml, and will fit a variety of nibs. Problem with any of these conical shaped devices is that they still require a minimum ink volume to function. Unless you are using a snorkel - or filling via syringe to cartridge - once you go below the level at which a pen can suck, well, it won't suck. To get the depth you have to narrow the girth of the container, and that puts constraints on the size of pen/nib that can fit. It's a trade off.

Useful if the original bottle is awkward to insert a pen into, so there is that.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; December 24th, 2019 at 02:54 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

aurore (December 27th, 2019)

Thanks

The sand trick is a good idea, worthy of Archimedes himself. Go to a craft shop and get a handful of glass "seed beads". They work as well as sand and there is no danger of grinding pen parts.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-