Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uuuhh, pen doesn't fit in ink bottle madness, its starting to get to me

Thanks

Default Uuuhh, pen doesn't fit in ink bottle madness, its starting to get to me

I think I have mentioned in the past I enjoy my inks, after a few purchases recently i have ended up with a number of the Diamine sample bottles and also a couple of the smaller volume 30 ml bottles of inks I wanted to try.

Annoying the neck of these bottles is too small and only my very skinny Pelikan M200 fits, many of most of my other pens get stuck ........ GEEEEET INNNNNNNNNN

NOPE, grrrrr

I guess the answer to this minor issue is to re-use an old ink bottle OR buy a nice modern inkwell and decant my inks into it. It needs to be one of those ones that enables you to get the last dregs out of the bottle into the pen. This is unlike most of the bottles I currently have e.g. Diamine etc

Actually whilst I write this I think I have some old Lamy ink-bottles which are quite good. Has anyone got any suggestions / what do you use?

Weirdly, and digressing all over the place, I recently bought some Sailor Jentle ink which I really like and it has one of those bottles where you invert it and it fills a little reservoir. What's weird is that the ink is too shallow for my Sailor Prof Gear Realo (mmmmmmmmmm.....) to suck much out, I get a 50% fill at best. Sailor pen doesn't work with Sailor ink bottle? OUTRAGEOUS <bangs table>

Recommendations, I kinda like the idea of a modern ink-well - does such a thing actually even exist?

Yippee!

Jolltax

Thanks

Default Re: Uuuhh, pen doesn't fit in ink bottle madness, its starting to get to me

Hey! But you're able to finish any inkpot you buy? Believe me: you're not as vicious as you think. I'm still buying inkpots as if I would be able to live 3 times... :-)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JIGM For This Useful Post:

Jolltax (March 31st, 2016)

Thanks

Default Re: Uuuhh, pen doesn't fit in ink bottle madness, its starting to get to me

Quote Originally Posted by JIGM View Post
    Hey! But you're able to finish any inkpot you buy? Believe me: you're not as vicious as you think. I'm still buying inkpots as if I would be able to live 3 times... :-)
    I get through a fair amount of ink at work but obviously, like most people on here I imagine, I still have enough to last me until 2035.

BUT, that would mean actually using the ink I bought which I like, but don't really use, like Imperial Purple, Crimson etc ........ gasp. Love them both but I quickly realised that writing in Purple is er, not very manly.

Blueberry though, sigh....

J

Thanks

I have the same issue with Sailor's ink bottles. I thought I was going mad when I couldn't get my Pro Gear to fit all the way inside the reservoir. Have yet to find a way to get a good fill in one go.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

You could buy and try one of those Ink Miser shot versions: http://www.gouletpens.com/ink-miser/c/462
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Scrawler (April 4th, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,685 Times in 1,969 Posts

Buy slimmer pens

Just kidding!
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Some pens that don't fit into the Diamine plastic bottle may fit into sample tubes, so you could try emptying your left over mls. of ink into those if your pens fit.
    Alternatively, if they are converter fillers, you could fill the converters with a syringe.
    Or you could invest in a Visconti travelling ink pot and use up your small amounts of ink in there.

Thanks

Ok, I guess hooded and semi-hooded nibs just scored another set of points... (haven't run into this problem with a Parker 51 or Lamy 2000...). I guess form still follows function in these oldies but goodies! But the Ink miser or similar vessel (aquavit shot glass) work for the big and gaudy nibs... (I own quite a few pens with these as well )

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wangminze View Post
    I have the same issue with Sailor's ink bottles. I thought I was going mad when I couldn't get my Pro Gear to fit all the way inside the reservoir. Have yet to find a way to get a good fill in one go.
    Remove the plastic reservoir (very easy to do) & then buy one of these....

image.jpg

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

inklord (March 31st, 2016), Jolltax (April 1st, 2016), Marsilius (March 31st, 2016), Mr. Reader (March 31st, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by penwash View Post
    Buy slimmer pens

Just kidding!
    But, but I like pens curvy and fuller bodied like my ....... never mind

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy
    Or you could invest in a Visconti travelling ink pot and use up your small amounts of ink in there.
    They look nice actually but I haven;t actually plucked up the courage to buy a Visconti pen yet so it seems a bit weird buying the pot, I shall someday I imagine.

I think I kinda answered my own question earlier. after a bit of research I think I'll dig out an empty Lamy bottle at home and use that, I was tempted by the TWSBI ink wells on Amazon but £30 seems a bit silly. The Lamy bottle deisgn is pretty good for small volumes of ink if I recall correctly (haven't got one here).

Anyway - a pleasure as always!

Cheers!

Jolltax

Thanks

Jolltax, I have no words of wisdom, but I just want to say that your random, stream-of-consciousness pose made me laugh. A lot. Thanks for keeping it real.
    Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

15. The Following User Says Thank You to distracted_mom For This Useful Post:

Jolltax (April 1st, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,336 Times in 3,966 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jolltax View Post
    They look nice actually but I haven;t actually plucked up the courage to buy a Visconti pen yet so it seems a bit weird buying the pot, I shall someday I imagine.
    Many different pens fit the travelling ink pot. I don't have a Visconti pen either.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (December 24th, 2019), Jolltax (April 1st, 2016)

Thanks

But, but I like pens curvy and fuller bodied like my ....... never mind

I think I kinda answered my own question earlier. after a bit of research I think I'll dig out an empty Lamy bottle at home and use that, I was tempted by the TWSBI ink wells on Amazon but £30 seems a bit silly. The Lamy bottle deisgn is pretty good for small volumes of ink if I recall correctly (haven't got one here).

Anyway - a pleasure as always!

Cheers!

Jolltax
    http://www.andersonpens.com/Empty-La...empty-lamy.htm

19. The Following User Says Thank You to inklord For This Useful Post:

Jolltax (April 1st, 2016)

Thanks

Default Uuuhh, pen doesn't fit in ink bottle madness, its starting to get to me

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post

image.jpg
    Is this problem for any of you others? Is it not a bit silly that their own pens don't fit?

The Lamy bottle deisgn is pretty good for small volumes of ink if I recall correctly
    The Lamy 50mL seems a bit overkill for ink in small Diamine bottles. One of my pens won't fit so I ended up using those bottles for air travel. 1-2 oz bottles are normally good.
    Last edited by wangminze; March 31st, 2016 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by migo984 View Post

image.jpg
    Where? Link please!

Thanks

Is this problem for any of you others? Is it not a bit silly that their own pens don't fit?
    Not a problem for me. I love their inks. I'd buy them whatever shape or size container they came in

23. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Mr. Reader (April 1st, 2016)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fqgouvea View Post

Where? Link please!
    They were sold by Nagasawa & they often pop up on Yahoo Japan auction site.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Mr. Reader (April 1st, 2016)

Thanks

I[QUOTE=migo984;166000]

image.jpg
    I remove the plastic reservoir, and invariably spill ink everywhere. After the initial humiliation, it is worth it.
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

WAIT, these have market value ? I'M RIIIIIICCHHHH

I went through a Lamy phase before I was a proper FPGeek and just a normal person who wrote with fountain pens and have loads of these at home. Those were the days when I felt guilty about spending the extra on an Al-Star and its swanky metallic coating, haha, I am so not that guy now....

Quote Originally Posted by distracted_mom
    Jolltax, I have no words of wisdom, but I just want to say that your random, stream-of-consciousness pose made me laugh. A lot. Thanks for keeping it real.
    I can be a bit manic at times, that's just me. Thank you <bows>
    Many different pens fit the travelling ink pot. I don't have a Visconti pen either.
    I think it the Lamy bottles don't work out I might put it on my Xmas list (I usually get socks and novelty sweaters anyway, not even joking) thanks for the advice, much appreciated
    Thank goodness, I honestly thought I was the only one and was doing it wrong, lol.

4 posts answered in one go, I think I may have peaked already today and should probably go for a lie down ...(self-hi-5)

Jolltax
    Last edited by Jolltax; April 1st, 2016 at 01:39 AM. Reason: I always hit Post before I have read my ramblings and usually require at least 3 edits afterwards

Thanks

I have a couple of the TWSBI glass ink bottles which work very well but are expensive. The R&K bottle reservoirs are great and I believe they could fit a Noodler's bottle as well as the R&K ones they are designed for but I've not tried them out yet.
    Another option could be to buy Pelikan 4001 inks in colours you won't use; throw away the ink and use the excellent bottles for your inks of choice. The 30ml (1 floz) are ideal and not so wasteful considering that one can get four for the price of one TWSBI!
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"