Thread: Which nib?

Thanks

Default Which nib?

Over the past few months ive come to learn that my preference lies with juicy broad italics or stubs nibs, i use nibs up to 1.9mm on a daily basis. I was curious to know what others preferences are, stubs, italics, fines, oblique even architect nibs...
    Thanks all, Luke

Thanks

Default Re: Which nib?

I prefer XF nibs, or F.

I enjoy, however, with my flex nibs, the XXF to a good M.

Fine stubs I do appreciate, too.

And for drawing I love my Platinum UEF

Over-juicy and more than M nibs, I find difficult to use.

'Edit: to correct plex into flex)
    Last edited by fountainpagan; April 2nd, 2016 at 02:59 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,591 Times in 699 Posts

For almost all my writing I prefer fines or mediums, keeping in mind that a fine on some pens may be close to a medium on others. And I like the Pilot "Fine-Medium" size which I have on a couple of their pens.

I try broad nibs and stubs from time to time, but find them less practical. I can get along with some extra-fines.
    "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly."
    G.K. Chesterton

Thanks

I am probably not going to make sense with my answer.

I like almost all size nibs. Today with me I have a F, M, and a 1.1 italic. I even enjoy writing with an XF. The only nib size I do not like is a broad nib. The B is just not good for my writing style. I can make an italic work but not a B, not sure why. Maybe the feel of the italic makes me more careful when I write?
    Please visit my store

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin - Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Whitelines

Thanks

I have one of each type and use them all. Each one has its own function in the bullpen. I even keep a couple that are really toothy for writing in moving vehicles. For the really tough assignments, there is a world of dip pens to draw upon *puns intended, neener neener*.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Different strokes at different times, but all must be good examples.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

My current favorite nib to write with is a "springy" stub nib that is between M and B. I only found one nib that behave like this, an old Geha 14K nib.
    My Pelikan 140 is close, but I need to grind it because it's currently a round-tip.

I almost have no use for round-tip M or B. To me there is no difference than writing with a good Rollerball pen.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Aesthetically I don't like writing with broad nibs. Although I've tweaked my writing a bit to accommodate the thicker lines, I don't like the way it looks. Jury is still out on medium nibs--I'm working on it.

Thanks

I usually prefer a medium or smaller. Lots of fine, extra fine, medium, and the occasional A nib (which is basically a medium-broad, in comparison with Lamy nibs). I use a 1.1 nib only as a highlighter. Bigger and flex nibs don't work so well with my writing style or my choice of paper - I write fairly small and the broader nibs just make it look like ink blobs.

Thanks

Generally an old US Parker Fine. Which is similar to a Lamy/Pelikan/TWSBI XF.

But this depends on the pen, ink and paper, and what I am writing, as I will use anything from an XF up to a 1.5mm CI.
    IOW, I pick the appropriate tool (pen/nib) for the task.
    Examples:
    - Though I prefer a Fine nib, sometimes I need a heavier/wider ink line, then I pull out a M nib.
    - I use the 1.1 CI for Christmas cards.
    - Some inks are so WET that I have to drop down a nib size to prevent the ink line from being too wide.
    San Francisco Pen Show 2017, August 25-27, 2017, Redwood City, California
    www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks

I like either a fine or an XF, and can use up to a medium on the fine side, sometimes. I can also use an italic/stub nib - that can be a 1.1 or perhaps even wider. I do not like just fat unvarying lines - I didn't even when I used ballpoints.

Thanks

I generally prefer a F or XF for general writing and 1.1 or larger for signatures.

Thanks

I use a wide range, but I particularly like stubs and italics.

Fernando Gouvêa -- fqgouvea@roadrunner.com

Thanks

My favorite nib will change throughout the day. At work I use third tier pens with semiflexible nibs on cheap Moleskine 3x5 pocket notebooks. But when I get home then everything changes.

If I'm writing on the wider lined Clairefontaine paper I prefer a Lamy AL-Star with a 1.1 stub or a Pilot Metropolitan with a 1.1 stub hacked from a Plumix, but if I'm writing on the narrower lined Quo Vadis paper I prefer a fine nib. And I do mean fine, such as an Esterbrook 048 dip nib or an ultra fine Crow Quill 102 dip nib, both used with thin inks such as Sheaffer or Waterman.

Thanks

I have all the following - and use them all: EF, F, M, B, OB, B stub, 1.1 stub

Today I used an M, F, 1.1 stub and B stub and the OB even. Each one has its place and gets used. The EF's get the least amount of use probably.
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Thanks

I have no round nibs at all -I just prefer not to use them. Most of my pens have CI nibs, in the 1.1 to 1.3 range, a couple of obliques, and a couple of stubs. One of the obliques is quite fine, and sees a lot of use filling out forms (hence always filled with black ink). Otherwise, I prefer my nibs tuned for 8/10 flow, with a moderate to free flowing ink.

It's all personal prefence.

Thanks

Hello Everyone. I am new to the site and need a bit of nib advice. I have around 55 pens in my collection with a variety of new and vintage. I have never been brave enough to try anything other than F, M, and B nibs. I need some advice on what would be my best and safest first option outside the standard choices. I am about to order a Parsons Essential and I'm tempted to try a stub or an italic nib. I don't want it to be too finicky as regards sweet spots and writing angles. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Cheers.