Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nibs.com

Kratos

Default Re: Nibs.com

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post

I've tried that already. It is obvious that they did not check, tested or qc'd the pen. What do you think this blog is about? This is not my first fountain pen. I am a collecter and user of fountain pens. You name it I have it.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
    It's not obvious that they did not check, test or qc the pen. Far from that.

I suggest yet again, switch to a Platinum cartridge and use that.

Stop using the converter for now and do YOUR due diligence.

If the problem continues simply return the pen along with writing samples showing the issue, but I still am convinced the issue is with the user, not the pen.
    The problem is the pen. That is for certain. The $20 shipping fee is not the issue. The issue is having to wait 2-3 weeks until I get to use a pen that should have been looked at prior to shipping. Specially if that's your selling point.

We can sit here and say it's the paper. Which I use Tomoe River paper. We can sit here and say it's me. Having more than 100 fountain pens everything from vintage to cutom pens. What ever excuse you want to make. If John did what he was supposed to we wouldn't be here having this discussion.

I've bought pens from Goutlet Pens, Peyton Street Pens, The Pen Market, etc. And never had issues such as this.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

I've tried that already. It is obvious that they did not check, tested or qc'd the pen. What do you think this blog is about? This is not my first fountain pen. I am a collecter and user of fountain pens. You name it I have it.

If the problem continues simply return the pen along with writing samples showing the issue, but I still am convinced the issue is with the user, not the pen.
    The problem is the pen. That is for certain. The $20 shipping fee is not the issue. The issue is having to wait 2-3 weeks until I get to use a pen that should have been looked at prior to shipping. Specially if that's your selling point.

We can sit here and say it's the paper. Which I use Tomoe River paper. We can sit here and say it's me. Having more than 100 fountain pens everything from vintage to cutom pens. What ever excuse you want to make. If John did what he was supposed to we wouldn't be here having this discussion.

I've bought pens from Goutlet Pens, Peyton Street Pens, The Pen Market, etc. And never had issues such as this.
    Again, what you describe sounds far more like a surface tension issue, a user issue, than anything that would have shown up during the test and set up.

Stop using the converter, switch to the Platinum cartridge.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Jar is right, run it in with the starter cartridge and then you will know for sure. Also, try it on some good old fashioned cheap copy paper, you may find it 'grips' the ink, and the nib, better. I've not used Tomoe but another often well thought of paper I have used a lot of (Rhodia Clairefontaine) is known to throw up some issues with certain pen/ink combinations (particularly very smooth nibs with wet inks) perhaps due to it's waxy surface.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

Cool - I've got over 100 pens, too! Three of them from Classic Fountain Pens, each transaction superlative. They have hundreds, maybe thousands of satisfied customers over the years, and the guy at the top of the food chain in that shop is one of the best people in pendom.

So, the last thing I'm going to side with is "yeah, this jerk didn't do what he was supposed to do". No evidence of that, and no track record of that kind of service. They offer to make it right (write?), with minimal turn-around, and still Mr. Grumpy isn't happy.

Well, this is what happens when you open your door to the public. I hope it gets sorted out, and I certainly am not changing my opinion of John or his staff or business ethics.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

I typically use cartridges in my Nakayas. Yeah, sometimes I'll use the converter, but I have experienced that surface tension phenomenon where the ink gets stuck in the back of the converter. I haven't experienced that with a Nakaya in a long time, but if it were to happen again, I would probably just shake my pen to get the ink flowing again. And if the problem persisted, I would switch to a cartridge (I fill the cartridges with a syringe, so I can use my favorite inks).

I hope that's all the problem is. Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,016 Times in 837 Posts

I've had several problems with expensive pens.

My last pen problem was a very expensive pen. Way over $600. There were problems with the feed. I sent the nib/feed unit and kept the cap/pen body with me. I paid like $8 to ship it with insurance, which is very reasonable and easy to pack. It was gone 2 and half months. Works like a charm now. Pain in the butt? Yes, but the seller treated me well and got a wonderful pen.

My $600 Visconti wouldn't write. That was after being tester by the seller. Seller told me he would correct the problem if I mailed the pen back to him. Rather I sent it to Dan smith, who fixed it and ground the nib into something interesting.

The interesting part about the Visconti.....when I dipped the pen, the nib worked. It was only a problem when filled with ink. Could it be that your pen was only dipped tested which masked the problem?

I believe its customary to pay for shipping when there's a problem. Or least that's what my experience has taught me.

As a collector we all hit these problems. Yeah, it sucks, but I think as collectors we know pen price doesn't necessarily guarantee a perfect pen. The seller is willing to fix it, which good. Maybe get the pen to a nib master and made perfect for you? Take lemons and make lemonade?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crazyorange For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've purchased four or five pens from nibs.com. Never had a problem with this company. One pen did suffer a failure after the warranty period expired (piston became detached from the rod). John M. repaired it for free and didn't even charge me for return postage. Top drawer outfit, in my book.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Robert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 790 Posts

This is a known issue with Platinum converters. I think I've given this solution on four or five threads now. If you want to use the converter do the following:
    1. Disassemble converter, Google if you don't know how.
    2. Cut open Platinum cartridge. This will be messy so do it in the sink in a bowl.
    3. Fish out the little metal ball in the cartridge, this is the reason cartridges WORK and the platinum converters skip.
    4. Stick little metal ball into converter and reassemble. Yes you'll get a little less ink in there but the dang thing will work without a single skip.

I own 3 Nakaya and various other pens bought from Nibs.com. Every platinum converter I own (8?) has this issue. Every one. It's a surface tension issue, it's a design issue, it is NOT Nibs.com's problem. Fix it yourself or don't use the converter.

Now if that doesn't solve the issue there's something else going on. But it has solved it for every single one of my Nakaya and Platinum pens. Every one.
    ---
    Current pen rotation: way too many!

14. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to tandaina For This Useful Post:

bluesea (April 17th, 2016), BrynRedbeard (January 1st, 2017), Empty_of_Clouds (April 17th, 2016), Jon Szanto (April 17th, 2016), KKay (April 17th, 2016), Monz (April 23rd, 2016), mrcharlie (April 18th, 2016), rdcalhoon (April 17th, 2016)

Kratos

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Cool - I've got over 100 pens, too! Three of them from Classic Fountain Pens, each transaction superlative. They have hundreds, maybe thousands of satisfied customers over the years, and the guy at the top of the food chain in that shop is one of the best people in pendom.

So, the last thing I'm going to side with is "yeah, this jerk didn't do what he was supposed to do". No evidence of that, and no track record of that kind of service. They offer to make it right (write?), with minimal turn-around, and still Mr. Grumpy isn't happy.

Well, this is what happens when you open your door to the public. I hope it gets sorted out, and I certainly am not changing my opinion of John or his staff or business ethics.
    You obviously missed the point and I will not feed to the ignorance. Ask a friend to read the blogs and have them explain what's the issue. Your love for John has clouded your judgement and mind.

Kratos

Again, what you describe sounds far more like a surface tension issue, a user issue, than anything that would have shown up during the test and set up.

I am currently using cartridge. That was the first thing I tried. I am going to have to mail it to get it fixed. Anyone other than nibs.com that you would suggest?

Kratos

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    Jar is right, run it in with the starter cartridge and then you will know for sure. Also, try it on some good old fashioned cheap copy paper, you may find it 'grips' the ink, and the nib, better. I've not used Tomoe but another often well thought of paper I have used a lot of (Rhodia Clairefontaine) is known to throw up some issues with certain pen/ink combinations (particularly very smooth nibs with wet inks) perhaps due to it's waxy surface.
    But that's what I was getting at. If QC was done. I wouldn't be dealing with this.

I have tried the cartridge. However, it continues to skip. I should not have to shake the pen every 2 minutes just to use it. Specially a Nakaya bought from someone who supposedly "inspects every pen".

Damage is done. Never again will I buy a pen from nibs.com. For now, if you recommend someone that would check the pen out for me. I would appreciate it.

Thanks

You obviously missed the point and I will not feed to the ignorance. Ask a friend to read the blogs and have them explain what's the issue. Your love for John has clouded your judgement and mind.
    Bite me. If you want examples of ignorance, just scan some of your posts for basic grammar and sentence structure. You have given absolutely no proof that the pen wasn't looked at, numerous people have already pointed out an obvious possible issue (and no need for me to restate that), and your boorish behavior of calling out a well-known business with little to stand on, along with petulant behavior just seals the deal.

So, yeah, bite me. I hope you get both your pen and your attitude fixed.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

19. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

carlos.q (April 18th, 2016), Crazyorange (April 18th, 2016), Empty_of_Clouds (April 17th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (April 18th, 2016), stub (April 17th, 2016)

Kratos

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyorange View Post
    I've had several problems with expensive pens.

My last pen problem was a very expensive pen. Way over $600. There were problems with the feed. I sent the nib/feed unit and kept the cap/pen body with me. I paid like $8 to ship it with insurance, which is very reasonable and easy to pack. It was gone 2 and half months. Works like a charm now. Pain in the butt? Yes, but the seller treated me well and got a wonderful pen.

My $600 Visconti wouldn't write. That was after being tester by the seller. Seller told me he would correct the problem if I mailed the pen back to him. Rather I sent it to Dan smith, who fixed it and ground the nib into something interesting.

The interesting part about the Visconti.....when I dipped the pen, the nib worked. It was only a problem when filled with ink. Could it be that your pen was only dipped tested which masked the problem?

I believe its customary to pay for shipping when there's a problem. Or least that's what my experience has taught me.

As a collector we all hit these problems. Yeah, it sucks, but I think as collectors we know pen price doesn't necessarily guarantee a perfect pen. The seller is willing to fix it, which good. Maybe get the pen to a nib master and made perfect for you? Take lemons and make lemonade?
    I agree with you. However, you have trolls that drink Johns koolaid to the point that they don't respect peoples PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. They constantly make excuses to cover up faults.

For now, I am trying to get this pen fix. Do you recommend any nib master that I can send the pen for inspection? I will never buy or use from Nibs.com. lesson learned.

Kratos

Bite me. If you want examples of ignorance, just scan some of your posts for basic grammar and sentence structure. You have given absolutely no proof that the pen wasn't looked at, numerous people have already pointed out an obvious possible issue (and no need for me to restate that), and your boorish behavior of calling out a well-known business with little to stand on, along with petulant behavior just seals the deal.

Yeah you are that guy. Your only contribution to the blog is grammar check. You are taking this more personal than I am. Is your best friend John?

I wanted to share my experience with pen aficionados. Here you come, like a troll, trying to discredit my experience as if you work for the men.

Grow one.

Kratos

I forgot to mentioned. If the pen was really "inspected before shipping". Would we be having this conversation or issue? So what does logic tell you. There was no inspection or qc. If there was, the problem would have been addressed. Specially straight out of the box. 1+1 is 2.

Thanks

This one is special. A very special snowflake.

I'm well known around this blog forum, so I'm not concerned about some n00b casting aspersions on my motivations. As for CFP, I'd say their reputation speaks for itself.

After this thread, so will yours.

~ Benjamin Franklin

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Empty_of_Clouds (April 17th, 2016), Sailor Kenshin (April 18th, 2016), stub (April 17th, 2016)

Thanks

Cool Re: Nibs.com

If you recommend someone that would check the pen out for me, I would appreciate it.
    Mike Masuyama.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Mike Masuyama.
    Please be aware, as noted in this thread, that Mr. Masuyama is not currently taking on new work due to family responsibilities.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Perhaps it's time to open a book?

Who'll give me odds on who Kratos really might be?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (April 18th, 2016)

Thanks

Mike Masuyama.
    Please be aware, as noted in this thread, that Mr. Masuyama is not currently taking on new work due to family responsibilities.
    Sorry, don't read every thread, though I should also have said, in agreement with the majority opinion, consider sending back to nibs.com to give them the opportunity to demonstrate their apparently (never used them myself, so wouldn't know) deserved reputation for considerate customer service; though, equally, I can understand why one might be hesitant to return to original supplier...

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    Perhaps it's time to open a book?

Who'll give me odds on who Kratos really might be?
    I remember a thread a few months ago on FPN regarding the generally unsatisfactory quality of 'expensive' pens going along the same lines...